Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Is there something like pdanet available for mac users? Couldn't seem to find anything that was comparable.
    thanks
    nevermind, just found the thread I was looking for.
    Has anyone used Pdanet along with their Treo to connect to the internet with your laptop using the treo as the modem? If so what was your experience? I have Vision and have heard its kinda of not acceptable to do this, if you have done it have you heard from sprint? For how long do you usually stay connected? How many megabytes do you transfer per session, and do you know whats the limit before sprint starts hawking?
    no one has used it. ever.

<cough>SEARCH</cough>
    I downloaded and used it in demo mode. It worked fairly well for me except for the annoying popup every few minutes telling me I was in demo mode. The connection speed I got using Sprint was better than an analog modem. I was around 64kbps.
    Originally posted by treonyc
    no one has used it. ever.

<cough>SEARCH</cough>
    uh. . . what he said.

and I'll have to wait a couple weeks to see what sprint says about my use.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Hi,

sorry, if it was asked before, but I didn't find it.

1. Can the Treo 600 be used as a modem for a laptop (WinXP) via infrared/cable?

2. Can it be used as a Modem for a PowerBook (MacOS X)?

My dad owns a Treo 180g and I own a P800. We both think about switching to either a Treo 600 or a SE P900. Apart from all other reasons we both need the possibility to use it as a modem. The P900 can do this, i know, but the Treo 180g can't...

Thanks a lot
    michael
    yes. check out pdanet

check with your cell phone provider to see if it's against the contract or not (it is against sprints contract)
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Huh,

why should it be against a contract? They earn their money with the data-connectivity exactely as with the voice-connectivity, or am I wrong %)...

michael
    yes but while you're hogging up all the bandwidth using you're phone as a modem while downloading off kazaa, other people experience dropped calls and don't get data connections...so in the long run it kills their profits.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I am going to go out on a limb here and assume michis0806 is asking for something else. I don't believe the request is to use the 600 as an internet access point. I think perhaps the desired function is as a "modem". By that I mean an installed device that allows a user to dial into a network or other computer not just internet access.

Am I correct in my assumption michis0806??

If so good luck finding an answer. I posed the same question moths ago and all anyone came up with was the ability to use the treo for access via a cable and pdanet or Wirelessmodem.

Maybe this time will be different.

The intent here is to be able to "install" the treo as a modem in windows (assumption) and have the OS dial a number to access a modem on the other end. NOT NECESSARILY AN ISP.

Anyone been able to do this?

That close to what you need michis0806??

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Exactely, Woof.

I want to use the Treo as a modem to, on the one hand check my emails or go surfing on the road using my laptop, and, on the other hand, dial up to my employers network to use VNC and ssh and so on.

Even a VPN connection would be very usefull.

I cannot believe Handspring/PalmOne did not add this to such a great device than the Trel 600

Yours
    michael
    I used to have an Ericson T610 and used it as a modem for my Powerbook17 to access the net thru Tmobile GPRS. The damn thing was so slow it was almost useless. When you are used to broadband speed, anything slower would require a lot of patience. Surfing the net with the Treo600 via GPRS is actually faster than the above setup.

When I am on the road with my laptop, WIFI is still the way to go. Of course there is a cost to that but hey that's why I have a Treo fo those times when I am away from my laptop
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Maybe that relies on the network, but I am currently surfing the web using opera via my P800 anf get about 50kbit/s through T-Mobile Germany, which ist faster than the modem.

And, nevertheless, I absolutely NEED dial-up networking for accessing my companys network.

So it seems that it isn't possible with the Treo... I'd have liked to get one, because I prefer PalmOS but it seems that I'll have to get those P900... Especially as there is no Treo 600 available in Germany this time...

michael
    Yes it is possible, as mentioned by Tekara, try using PDANet which is available here:

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php

This seems like a very standard function which should have been built into the phone, not something you have to pay for but never mind.
    Does anyone know if the Treo 600 has an aftermarket cable to allow for the treo to act as a modem. I want to get on the internet from my laptop and use the treo as the modem.
    Interesting thread. I also need to use my Treo 600 as a modem but for another Palm Unit.

We display our wireless palm software on Symbol SPT1800 Palm OS units which are not wireless (barcode scanning field use PDA's). Used to be able to connect the SPT1800 via two serial data cables and a Null Modem to my old Kyocera 6035. I would then dial out on the SPT1800 using the Kyocera 6035 as a modem. The fact is the SPT1800 can become a wireless PDA utilizing any data capable cell phone as a modem and this is what we display.

Unfortunately I purchased the Treo 600 and the serial data cable blissfully unaware that it did not have the same capability. Now it looks like I will have to purchase another cellphone just to demonstrate this to clients, ouch.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by michis0806
    Exactely, Woof.

I want to use the Treo as a modem to, on the one hand check my emails or go surfing on the road using my laptop, and, on the other hand, dial up to my employers network to use VNC and ssh and so on.

Even a VPN connection would be very usefull.

I cannot believe Handspring/PalmOne did not add this to such a great device than the Trel 600

Yours
    michael

if you want SSH and VNC, take a look at TuSSH and MobileTS

if you want to use MobileTS, you need to use some sort of connection to the computer directly such as SSH or PPTP VPN.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    ...Even a VPN connection would be very usefull.
    For VPN access, checkout Mergic VPN it works great
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    Folks,

If you are a business traveler and want to get e-mail on your laptop, the TREO + Sprint's unlimited data plans are ideal. Sprint and Handspring aren't trying to scam people, here's the deal...

1) Sprint includes "unlimited" data on all plans that are 2000 minutes or more. For the rest, it is a $15 add on. (Note that with Verizon this is $40 add on to ALL PLANS).

2) Sprint does not enable or encourage people to use the TREO as a laptop modem, but you can do this using PDANet or some other program.

3) Unlike T-Mobile and some others, Sprint offers a true internet connection that is not behind a firewall or proxy. You can VPN in to your network, etc.

4) This is 1xRTT data and runs at 40K-120K. In practice (with both Sprint and Verizon) it is about 70K down with some latency. It is totally usable over a VPN and for exchange/outlook synchronization.

I guess my point in writing all of this is that Sprint, unlimited Vision, and PDANet are a total bargain for the guy that travels 1-2 weeks per month like me.

Glenn

P.S. When you include Mapopolis and a GPS unit, you are the ultimate road warrior with audible turn by turn directions from your TREO!!!
    Hi,

2. Can it be used as a Modem for a PowerBook (MacOS X)?

l
    Any way to do this?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast