1.    #1  
    GPRS has a physical limit to the number of channels it can assign for data transfer. If anyone has been keeping up on the news lately, you'll know that GPRS has been suffering heavily in Europe lately because as more users jump on, they have to take channels away from other users just so people can have a GPRS connection at all. Your GPRS class 10 device designed to use 4 downstream channels, may in fact only use 1 or 2 depending on network load.

CDMA 1x has no such "channel" limitation and the data side does not take from the voice channel availability (assumption). I've read that CDMA generally has a users to cell ratio of anywhere from 2.5 to 5 times greater capability than GSM, same goes for data.

even GSM is migrating to WCDMA for 3G. T-Mobile might be able to sell unlimited data today, but when more users get on their just isn't much they can do to increase capacity. Poor bastards.

As for battery, I had the Treo 300. I've used my 600 for 24 hours of heavy use, and hour for just one of the calls I made, games, web browsing, and finally i charged it the next morning.

I am very satisfied with the battery life, I can go 24 hours of beating the crap oujt of it and it goes. For all that it can do I'm amazed how well the battery hold up.

I tested the PDA.Net on my laptop, and in downtown Salt Lake City, I got consistant 110k/sec. Now why would I want GPRS.
    Get ready for the rebutals. I for one was a proponent for CDMA when it came out in '95 or '96 I believe. And I still think it is the superior technology.
  3.    #3  
    It's a moot point. All paths point to CDMA in one for or another in the future.

The reaal issue that people don't look at is timing.

CDMA/CMDA1X came after GSM.

Sprint and Verizon made their network plans after GSM was being used for a couple years in Europe.

Obviously if Sprint and Verizon had deployed their networks earlier they would have been GSM based because that was the technology of the time.

Having waited, CDMA provided advantages and a future migration path that was far easier to deal with than going GSM which would require you to rip it all out and upgrade to WCDMA anyway. AT&T and T-Mobile will eventually be forced to do this and it's hella more expensive than the radio card upgrades Verizon and Sprint PCS are deploying that overlay their existing voice network. This is one reason I beleive Sprint PCS's rates are so good, it didn't cost them much to upgrade.

But I'll give GSM the credit for having the ability to Talk on the phone and use their GPRS at the same time. Qualcomm obviously blew it on this one.

Battery life also is worse on CDMA, but hey, have you heard how much trouble they are having with WCDMA in Japan? They can barely get 2 hours of talk time on thier 3G network because of the power required to detail with WCDMA.

In the end, battery life ultimately has to be sacrificed for greater voice and data capacity as networks migrate to WCDMA and CDMA 1x EV-DV (Sprint).

The dsp processing requirements to handle 1mbit decoding alone, not ot mention encoding are far more power demanding than current GSM transmission mechanisms.

Surelly as DSP's are evolved, shrunk, and made to take less power even WCDMA will overcome these issues, and CDMA to boot.

Nothing is perfect.
    I'm a CDMA user too (previously on GSM with T-mobile), but I would point out that the concerns you raise about GSM seem (to me) unlikely to materialize within the lifetime of a Treo 600. At least, not if you end up with gadget envy in a year or two and upgrading to the latest and greatest. So it's probably not relevant to choosing a CDMA vs. GSM t600. If it was me I'd be looking at the facts as they are today rather than a couple of years down the road. But maybe you all are planning to keep using your 600's that long. Fortunately for me, the short-term facts of my situation point clearly to Sprint (i.e., I don't have GSM coverage in my home).

Just my $0.02.
    skydog
  5.    #5  
    Yes gadget envy.

Looking at facts today.

I guess the main thing was for me, the data was faster and it comes free with my orginal Vision Plan.

In a couple of years? Who knows, that EV-DO network the Verizon is playing with is already faster than what NTT in Japan has for data (384k peek I believe).

mmmm... bandwidth.
  6.    #6  
    I'll refer you to what the poor Europeans have to contend with.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/32634.html

Hopefully T-Mobile/AT&T upgrade before this happens, not that flat rate data is the going thing.