Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I apologize if this has been posted somewhere, but searching didn't bring up the answer I was looking for. On my 300 from the dial pad, when I started typing a name, the 300 would switch to the contacts, look for that name in the contact list, and if it wasn't found (and I was typing numbers on the keyboard), the 300 would know I was dialing a number and would switch back to the dial pad with the numbers typed in.

On my 600, however, if I start typing a contact from the dial pad, nothing happens! I looked in the preferences tried the Options - Display Preferences" setting that dropdown that says "Typing starts Contacts search". That works great if I'm really looking for a contact, but then if I am typing a number on the keyboard, the 600 switches to find a contact but doesn't bother to switch back to the dialpad when it's obvious I'm not looking for a contact but actually dialing a number.

Does anyone have a remedy for this? I found it to be one of the best features of my 300. I would hate to hear you can't still do it on the 600. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Bump
    I'm still using my 300, and when in Dial Pad view, if I type some letters that don't have any numbers on the top portion of the key (such as L, S, E, A - etc), I get no response, the same as what you're saying on your 600. Of course, if I type a letter that HAS a number on top of the key, that number is what gets shown.
    So - I don't know what to make of your post. If you still have your 300, does it operate differently from what I'm experiencing?
  4.    #4  
    OK, sorry, let me be a little more clear. KKenna, I do have that setting changed. So under that scenario, I'm at the dial pad screen. Now when I type a number, let's say 555-5555, the contacts screen immediately comes up and looks for names with "JKL" in the first letter of the first name, "JKL" in the first letter of the last name, etc.

Now, on my 300, when I pressed 5 for the third time, the 300 realized that I did not have a contact with that combination of letters and then switched to the dial pad with those numbers already typed in. However, on the 600, with the "Typing starts contact search" option selected, I am still stuck in the contact screen typing away 5's and not getting any results or any dial pad screen.

I thought about this a bit more and remembered that the 300, by default, starts you on the favorites (speed dial) page. The 600 starts on the dial pad page. I tried going to the "Favorites" page (which looks similar to the speed dial page of the 300) thinking that would do the trick, but typing there doesn't do anything either. Anyone else?
    Grim02:

I imagine Handspring decided to try to improve the Treo 600 by designing it so that if you use it and you know that you have a person’s number in you Contacts database you go there and type it in. It you want to dial a number directly you go to the dialpad and do so.

I THINK I liked it better the Treo 300 way but maybe this way makes more sense.

What do you think?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Sounds very dissapointing to me....

<sigh>
    Think about it for a second…I think it is more logical the new way because YOU pretty much know who you have it your contact database and YOU know when you want to dial a number directly.

I replaced my dial pad with a picture of my girlfriend that I took with the Treo 600 camera. The Treo 600 Picture (camera) application has a feature under “Menu-Picture-Set Wallpaper” that allows you to select the photo you took and make it your wallpaper.

So when I hit the Phone button, the phone program comes up but with a photo of my gal instead of the dial pad. If I just start typing a phone number it starts displaying the numbers on the top of the screen above the photo of my gal. If you need to get to the on-screen dial-pad you just hit the center button on the 5-way navigation button and then select dial-pad. This pop up menu that you access by selecting the center button on the 5 way nav button is brilliant because it also allows you to access your call log and the last 10 numbers you dialed.

What do you think?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

8.    #8  
    JakeE-

I was thinking the same way from a design standpoint. I suppose the only difference here is that when I'm at the dialpad and I know I want to find a contact, I press up on the 5-way nav and then start typing. Call me lazy (Hey, you're lazy!), but I don't want to have an extra keypress to do this. And with the "Typing starts contacts search" set, it totally disables the keyboard dialpad from the dialpad screen! That is something that I'm suprised Handspring would even allow you to do. It seems that setting the "Typing start contacts search" adds one function but removes the other. Seems to me that there should be a third option in that drop down - "Typing starts contacts search then dials phone number".

And what I don't understand most of all is why would Handspring allow you that sort of functionality on a previous model and not in the newest version of their phone?
    Originally posted by JakeE
    Grim02:

I imagine Handspring decided to try to improve the Treo 600 by designing it so that if you use it and you know that you have a person’s number in you Contacts database you go there and type it in. It you want to dial a number directly you go to the dialpad and do so.

I THINK I liked it better the Treo 300 way but maybe this way makes more sense.

What do you think?

Jake
    The Treo 300 is by far the better way to dial. I like how the dialpad was smart enough to look for contacts or dial straight. Now I have to press phone then down d-pad to get contacts, or up d-pad to get to favorites. This requires me actually thinking about where I want to go to make a phone call which I didn't have to do before. I would just be at my favorites, and it would go to contacts or dialpad as necessary.

Also, I don't know the point of setting the hold-down quick key to phone numbers if I have to be in favorites to use it. I want to be anywhere in any application and use a favorite. By the time I get to favorites and hold down the button for 2 seconds or whatever, I could have typed it in contacts or pressed the speed deal button. This was a major feature for me, and it's wasted.
  10.    #10  
    JakeE-

I really like the added functionality you describe. Especially that center button last 10 calls feature. But why did they take away functionality? When you are searching for a contact and it's not there, why not just have the phone switch back to the dial pad?

I guess I don't understand why adding a new way meant removing the old way, especially when they don't have to be mutually exclusive. By the way, I enjoy your design articles and your initial impression of the Treo months back - I partially blame you for having to get one of these immediately when they came out....
    Originally posted by grim02
    JakeE-

I really like the added functionality you describe. Especially that center button last 10 calls feature. But why did they take away functionality? When you are searching for a contact and it's not there, why not just have the phone switch back to the dial pad?

I guess I don't understand why adding a new way meant removing the old way, especially when they don't have to be mutually exclusive. By the way, I enjoy your design articles and your initial impression of the Treo months back - I partially blame you for having to get one of these immediately when they came out....
    Grim02

I was showing my assistant this challenge you brought up because she has a Treo 300 which she used to love until she saw my 600. Now she won’t stop playing with the my Treo 600.

When I pointed out this post to her and showed her the challenge, she said, “That is so lame!!! Why did they make it more complicated.???”

Now that I think about it I think you and my assistant are correct. They dummied it out.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed my articles and I am to blame for you having to get a Treo 600. There are many other people who have told me that they also got a Treo 600 because of my article.

My original article, “Treo 600: Love at first sight” had over 25,000 pageviews before I met with Jeff Hawkins. I figure if 10% of the people who read that article felt the way you did and decided to purchase a Treo 600 that would be ONE MILLION DOLLARS in additional revenues for Handspring.

Handspring did not seem to see it that way though. Basically Handspring thinks I am a fanatic. I bought my Treo 600 and will continue to purchase their products, but I must admit I think Handspring has a strange wall of seeing things.

Moral of Story (pun intended): No good deed goes unpunished!?!

Cheers!

Jake

12.    #12  
    Originally posted by JakeE
    Basically Handspring thinks I am a fanatic.
    Well of course you're a fanatic! But, just about everyone else around here is , too...the good kind, naturally. We wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for showing your assistant.

Originally posted by bmacfarland
    This requires me actually thinking about where I want to go to make a phone call which I didn't have to do before.
    Precisely - I don't want to put that extra keypress in, just start typing. Can't understand why it was taken out. Oh well, who am I kidding. This thing is great. I have to complain about something, though.
    I had a 180, and dialing a # on the keypad on the 180 was never that great, so if I was dialing a number, I generally used the screen buttons. So "typing starts Contacts search" would have worked fine for me on the 180.

The only thing is, the number keys are much easier to use on the 600. So I would use them, except if I want to keep "typing starts Contacts search", then it won't work!

I think this is one strange design step backward, but I can live with it. It's easier to live with "dial numbers on the screen" than "navigate to contacts before you start spelling a name".

So basically, one nice new feature of the 600, the more obvious number keypad, I will end up not using except for typing numbers (but not for dialing numbers for making a call!). How weird!
    Cant Handspring/Palm Fix this pain-in-my-a_ _ but not-so-insurmountable PROBLEM???

It was WAY better on the Treo300. Cant believe they screwed this up!

Oh well, great phone anyway.
    The Treo300 use to seamingly read my mind. It never ceased to amaze me how it would either find the existing contact OR start dialing the number after a few keystrokes. It was awesome.

Now with the 600 i have to tell it to do everything!!!. Pisses me off!!!.
    Originally posted by KKenna
    Bump
    Doesn't it seem silly (or dumb) to bump something 6 minutes after it's posted?
    I'll weigh in here and say the old way of dialing is much better. I am baffled as to why Handspring decided to forgo it!
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I'll weigh in here and say the old way of dialing is much better. I am baffled as to why Handspring decided to forgo it!
    Same here. The 600 took a step backwards in the phone app. It is clumsy compared to the 300. Let's collect signatures and start a recall and make Handspring fix it with an update.
    I agree.

I liked the old way much better.

And do not understand why favorites ONLY are launched from FAVORITES with the one touch buttons.

Seems to defeat the purpose.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    I agree.

I liked the old way much better.

And do not understand why favorites ONLY are launched from FAVORITES with the one touch buttons.

Seems to defeat the purpose.
    I agree. I thought I was imagining things.

You can use the one touch buttons from the dial pad as well as the favorites, it that helps any.

While we are on the subject of the phone app, I seem to be having a problem with the extra digits and the "dial extra digits immediately" function. With the Treo 300, I could use comas as pauses so that I could set 6-7 pauses before the actual extra digits so that it would wait for the phone to be answered before it would dial the extra digits. This worked great for getting my voicemail from work without having to type anything. All I had to do was hit the favorite and it worked perfectly. Now, it doesn't work like before. The manual doesn't say anything about comas being pauses, but when I do add them, the extra digits seem to still go immediately (but with some extra extra digits). Anyone else seeing this problem, or know how to add pauses so that it worked as it did before?

Thanks,
    Jeff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast