1.    #1  
    Below is a copy of an email I sent the folks at Visto, comparing the new 300 client to how TreoMail used to work. Bottom line is that I'm hoping that MessageXpress on the 600 is FAR superior to how it is on the 300, which is really a BIG step backwards from TreoMail (note that I can't use Snapper or the like - I NEED a redirector solution, and TM was <was> the best. I'm hoping that some others who've used MessageXpress on their 600s can allay my concerns about the app, and tell me the usage on the 600 is better than it is on the 300, based on the below comparison. 600 users, review and give a quick feedback, if you can.

(copy)
    This list of items is not in order, and isn't intended to be a gripe session, but rather, feedback from a long-time TreoMail user, now testing the MX client for the 300, and finding many deficiencies on the new client. I've broken them into categories as listed below.

Message Retrieval

- MX doesn't seem to operate in background mode, like TM did. It takes over whatever app is running, vs how TreoMail worked, which was MUCH better.
    - There's no alert notice of new messages. No pop-up screen like TM had. No sound, nothing. This has caused me to delay receipt of a few messages, simply because I was accustomed to having my Treo tell me it had new messages, since that's how TM worked.
    - Can't send/rcv with a single button press, as TM was able to (and this is closely related to a TON of user interface issues). You have to open the screen, and tap on send/rcv.
    - The dialog box of 'sync is about to begin - skip/snooze/etc' is funky - why have that? Again, TreoMail just operated in the background, and would alert of any new messages. MUCH better than the dialog box.

User Interface issues:
    So many here - where to start? I'll just dive in. Most of these have to do with the keyboard on the 300 having almost no usefulness with MessageXpress.
    - Can't select messages individually via the jog rocker. Each message must be tapped on to open (which means, with the 300, that the flip must be open). With TreoMail, I could open AND CLOSE each message without having to open the flip. With MX, the flip must be open, and the stylus must be used for almost all functions (I'm HOPING/expecting that's not the case with MX on the 600).
    - No ability to reply to a message (either at inbox view, or after opening it) via Menu/R - have to tap through a series of screens to get to reply mode. The keyboard is only minimally useful.
    - No auto address lookup. With TM, I could enter the first few letters of the recipient's last name, press the space bar (NOT a menu command), and a list of logical choices would show up, based on the letters I had entered. With MX, I have to invoke the address lookup function FIRST, which is an extra step, and not intuitive.
    - No auto-fill domain. A often-used domain ('@company.com') will autofill with TreoMail, no matter if I had sent to THAT specific user recently or not. TM would remember the domain, and autofill based on one or two characters being entered. VERY handy.
    - No remembering of recipient's mail address - almost like a last-used mail address list. With TM, it seemed to remember people to whom I had recently sent mail, and addressing new messages to those folks often just took one or two letters (for example, if I have been sending messages to 'bsmith@abc.com', all I have to do to send to him again is enter 'b', and the rest of his address will autofill. VERY handy and intuitive.
    - No Menu/A for reply all - have to tap a bunch of places. Very clunky.
    - Can't delete a message from the main inbox list - have to open it first. A pain.
    - After deleting a message, the user is placed into the next message. TM would allow the return to the message list. And deleting a msg with MX requires a tap, whereas TM would allow Menu/D for delete, and return to message list. The way MX handles delete, the next msg in line ends up becoming 'opened', and unread, whether the user wants that or not.
    - Text is black and white, not blue as was the case with TM. This is certainly not a big deal, but TM just looked better. Why not have that? And color is possible at the main screen, since the reply and forward arrows (more on that below) and in color.
    - No apparent support for hyper-links within messages. This is HUGE.
    - No apparent support for dialing phone #s within messages. Another BIG deal. A major step backwards.
    - Support for saving meeting requests (touted as a big deal with MsgXprs) doesn't work. A get a 'can't save to DateBook' message, along with a typo in that alert ('incompatible is spelled wrong - it's spelled as 'incompatable').

There ARE some positives - I'm an equal-opportunity basher here:
    - it has the ability to create new contact entries from the e-mail address, which TM didn't have.
    - Do like A LOT that the reply and forwarded arrows show on the in-box view. That's VERY handy. TreoMail didn't have that.
    - Can get some (but not all) Word attachments. It worked in one test for me (yes!), but then not in another (dang!). So - jury's out there, but if it's solid, then that's great.

My goal in sending this was to alert SOMEONE there as to the large amount of differences in how TreoMail worked on the 300, vs how MessageXpress works now on the 300. My new 600 arrives tomorrow, and I HOPE that most of these things will operate differently on the 600 - that is, that MessageXpress will work more like TreoMail did, while keeping those few good new things, as well. No need for a response, just pass this list to a product manager, or someone in marketing. I can tell you that if these things aren't corrected, that you'll have a bunch of folks bailing out of their subscriptions when they expire, and going to a client app that is more Treo600-friendly, like SnapperMail or others.
    MOST ANNOYING INTERFACE ISSUE:

No alert received when new emails come in. It totally defeats the purpose of the SMS triggered pull, cuz you have to check it periodically yourself, anyways. You might as well "check for mail" every time you open the app.
    I upgraded my 180 to MX a couple of days ago. I agree with most of your points above. MX is a significant step backwards. If I could restore TM, and use it until Jan 2004 end of life I'd be happier than with MX. The interface is very poor.

I hope this is not the 600 client.
    HRB
  4.    #4  
    I rec'd my 600 yesterday and I will say that the overall functionality is much improved for that client version. Still a few things not there (most notably, no alert notification of new messages - that would seem like a no-brainer to me). The SMS push is very nice, the 5-way nav pad is great, and addresses a lot of my UI issues above.
    I still plan to give the new Sprint BC client a look though....
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I rec'd my 600 yesterday and I will say that the overall functionality is much improved for that client version. Still a few things not there (most notably, no alert notification of new messages - that would seem like a no-brainer to me). The SMS push is very nice, the 5-way nav pad is great, and addresses a lot of my UI issues above.
    I still plan to give the new Sprint BC client a look though....
    Have you gotten the SMS push to work reliably on the 600? Is there anyway to get it not to countdown but just "do it.?"
  6.    #6  
    Yep - seems to work fine for me. Quite well, actually - very nice to not have to device constantly poll for e-mail every 15 minutes. It gives a little pop-up window, telling you there's a message, and whether you want the app to go and retrieve it. You can snooze it if you want.
    I do like the 600 version of the client MUCH better than the 300...
    Also using Visto on a 600, and the SMS pull is working well. I wish you could set the countdown to be less time, like maybe 5 seconds instead of 20, but it doesn't matter much if its in my side case anyway. I'll be interested to see how Sprint's BC client works in the background tomorrow...
    I just started using the trial the past 4 days for MsgXpress for Corporate email. I like the product, however the about 20-25% of the time I get this error "cannot connect to the server, verify your connection"

I would like to buy the product and continue using it cuz when it works, it works great. Are any of u suffering from server downtime 20-25% of the time?
  9.    #9  
    All good for me, in the Dallas TX area..
    your issue sounds like more of a data connection (Vision) issue, rather than something with Visto specifically. Do other data apps work? If they don't, then your problem is not with Visto...
    My other data apps work fine.
    Originally posted by taekim.com
    I just started using the trial the past 4 days for MsgXpress for Corporate email. I like the product, however the about 20-25% of the time I get this error "cannot connect to the server, verify your connection"

I would like to buy the product and continue using it cuz when it works, it works great. Are any of u suffering from server downtime 20-25% of the time?
    Same issue here. I usually do a soft reset, but that doesn't always help. Not sure if vision is down (will try the web next time)
    To nrosser and others.

I have used the pop 3 versiosn of tero mail on T300. Ready to shift to T600, box on my desk.

Extended treo mail in Nov for a year.

Getting e mails saying treo mail will die end of Jan.

I want to set up t600 in the next few days. Do I set up treo 600 and then try to access visto MessageXpress or do I first switch from treomail on my T300 to Visto MessageXpress on my t 300, sync and then activate t600?

Thanks. You seem to be really informed on this issue.

Also, how is Messagexpress working for you on the t 600. Should I switch to snapper mail. I need e mail from my pop 3 account--minspring.lcom--nothing fancy.
  13.    #13  
    1. Going from the 300 to the 600 - I think you'll need to do a new install of MX on your 600 - putting MX on the 300 and then going to the 600 won't really be worth the effort. When you do the upgrade to MX, that process will install the new MX client on your handheld (which you'll want to be the 600, not the 300).

2. MX on the 600 - well, I used MX only for a short time on my 600, and then I went back to Sprint's Business Connection (I'm actually doing some beta testing of SEVEN's new stuff, which is really not all that different or improved from the current BC stuff). So I can't answer much on how MX works on the 600.

On an overall basis, though, if all you want is POP access, then you should probably look to snapper or the like - since I need an Exchange redirector, Snapper won't work for me, but from what I've seen, it's about the best app out there, and I <think> it far exceeds TreoMail/Message Express for overall usage and attachment functionality, especially for POP3 users.
    thanks for your helpful comments. now toget on with the conversion.