1.    #1  
    I'm still waiting for my T600 to arrive but would like to know if there'd be any conflict if i share the SD card with my camera and the T600. I use an Optio 550 and plan to get either Sandisk 512mb card(since it's least expensive). I plan to swap the card between uses of my camera and the T600.

Mod: please move if this belongs in Accessories.
    I doubt you will have any problems.

I'm going to pair my T600 with a Casio M20.

Will let you know how things work out by next week.
    someone posted recently that the sandisk card was MUCH slower than the lexar cards. for $10, it might be worth it to spurge
    If you take pictures with your Digital camera and save them to SD card...can you then put the SD card in your Treo600 and look at them? Can you email them to other people?

This would be cool and would make it worth getting a camera that uses SD cards (as opposed to a Sony camera that uses their memory stick)
    Originally posted by neckface
    someone posted recently that the sandisk card was MUCH slower than the lexar cards. for $10, it might be worth it to spurge
    I am borrowing a Scandisk 256MB card from a friend to test playing MP3s. It took roughly 25 minutes to Hotsync a 4MB MP3 file!!!

I'm thinking a PC card reader would be the way to go to load MP3s on the card unless this is a fluke on the card I have. Will try to Hotsync another MP3 file later tonight and post results.

Nick
    Save yourself the trouble of hotsyncing with MP3 files. Copy them straight to the SD Card from your PC using a card reader. Its the only way to go. I have tried both
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    The slowness in hotsyncing mp3s is due to the sync process (and USB 1.1), not due to the card's speed. The fastest card in the world wouldn't improve that. Use a USB 2.0 or firewire card reader and you'll be a lot happier with the results.

Viewing pictures from the camera - yes, if you have a viewer for the proper format. I THINK the Treo can handle jpegs without add-on software (not sure), but if not, jpegview or the like would let you do this. Of course, the images will probably be unnecessarily large, since you'll end up seeing them in 160x160 anyway.

Your PDA and your camera should be able to share a card without issues, since both use FAT and they use different folder names.
    Originally posted by norpah
    Save yourself the trouble of hotsyncing with MP3 files. Copy them straight to the SD Card from your PC using a card reader. Its the only way to go. I have tried both
    Thanks Norpah. I won't even try again then.
    Originally posted by Atif
    If you take pictures with your Digital camera and save them to SD card...can you then put the SD card in your Treo600 and look at them? Can you email them to other people?
    Yes, you can view pictures from your digital camera in a treo 600. The camera program will display all JPG's that it finds in the /dcim folder on the card.

Note that the first time you view pictures from the card, scrolling through the list will be kind of slow. Especially for the large pictures that are taken by most digital cameras. Once the thumnails are generated, they are saved back to the card. From then on, scrolling is fast. The zire does something to this BTW.

You can email pictures from the card with the camera app, but not directly. You need to first copy them into ram, and then send them from there. There may be other programs that can email pictures directly from the card.

H
    Originally posted by speedy_j
    I'm still waiting for my T600 to arrive but would like to know if there'd be any conflict if i share the SD card with my camera and the T600. I use an Optio 550 and plan to get either Sandisk 512mb card(since it's least expensive). I plan to swap the card between uses of my camera and the T600.
    There should not be any conflicts. Most, if not all, digital cameras follow the DCF standard, which dictates where pictures are saved. For example, my canon saves images to /dcim/100_can, /dcim/102_can, or something like that. The treo 600, on the other hand, saves images straight to the /dcim directory.

The treo will display pictures that are taken by your camera. It displays all jpegs from the /dcim directory, and all subdirectories of /dcim. So any pictures from a DCF compliant camera will appear in the camera app. I don't know if pictures from a treo will show up if you are viewing them from your camera. However, they shouldn't mess up the camera in any way.

H
  11.    #11  
    Cool beanz... Thanks, i was afraid the device swapping will cause problems and I lose valuable memories in the card. Just got a 512mb Sandisk from Staples for $133 and can't wait to fill it up.
    Dear Speedy_j,

When I researching the Treo 600, I went to Palm's website and they do mention an issue if you usa the SD card first in your camera, it may create a FAT table of around 32MB and the rest of the card wouls not be useable. But, if you place the card in your Palm device first, the problem does not occur.

Look here:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...Sxi=3,Case=obj(11276)

The above link makes a claim that it is a "software failure of the PalmOS", but I remember it also being a "failure" of building the FAT table via the camera, but I cannot now find the link.

Dave Lindberg

P.S.
    I am using a 256 MB PNY SD card, which is made by Toshiba for them... $79.99 at CompUSA - $20 PNY mail-in rebate = $60.
  13.    #13  
    Anyone else doing dual usage can confirm the "hijacking of capacity" on the mem card?
    After I copy it from the SD card to the internal memory, I still don't see my picture in any of the categories.

SD: /DCIM/TREO_TN/DCIM/TreoPic055_27Oct03.pb
    Internal Memory: /DCIM/TreoPic055_27Oct03.jpg

Questions:
    1) Anyone know why I have 2 levels of DCIM? Was this after I decided to change the naming convention from Picture* to TreoPic*?

2) How did the .pb to .jpg happen? Is this automatically done by FileZ???

3) I removed the '/DCIM/' from the internal name, but the camera still won't pick it up under the 'All' category.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    Originally posted by RedAlienM

SD: /DCIM/TREO_TN/DCIM/TreoPic055_27Oct03.pb
    Internal Memory: /DCIM/TreoPic055_27Oct03.jpg

Questions:
    1) Anyone know why I have 2 levels of DCIM? Was this after I decided to change the naming convention from Picture* to TreoPic*?
    The treo_tn directory contains thumbnail images that are displayed in the image list (the scrolling window with 3 small thunbmails listed). These are not jpegs, and you shouldn't try to move these files into ram.

The thumbnail directory greatly improves the performance of the image list when looking at images on an SD card. For the most part, just leave the treo_tn directory alone (although it is safe to delete it if you need the space).

There are two dcim levels because the treo_tn directory shadows the /dcim directory. In other words, if you have a picture in /dcim/100_foo/bar.jpg, the thumbnail will reside in /dcim/treo_tn/dcim/100_foo/bar.pbmp

3) I removed the '/DCIM/' from the internal name, but the camera still won't pick it up under the 'All' category.
    Don't move pictures into ram with filez. You must use the built in camera app.

H
    Originally posted by speedy_j
    Just got a 512mb Sandisk from Staples for $133 and can't wait to fill it up.
    Was this a special deal? Staples.com has the Sandisk 512 mb for $164.99
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by Top Billing

Was this a special deal? Staples.com has the Sandisk 512 mb for $164.99
    No, I pricematched with another retailer and applied a coupon.
    After I copy it from the SD card to the internal memory, I still don't see my picture in any of the categories.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    RedAlienM,

If you would like to place your standard .jpg pictures into the Treo 600 "camera folder"...

- In your Handspring folder (the one that contains your Palm folders) you will see a folder: Treo Picutres/Transfer.
    - Place any .jpeg picture in that folder and on the next HotSync, it will transfer the photo into the correct phone directories and create a thumbnail pic.

Dave Lindberg