1.    #1  
    On the box, it says there is a GPS chip in the Treo 600 for use with the E911 service. I called Sprint to ask if this can be used for applications (mapping apps) and they said that their network is not compatible with location-aware programs yet. She looked it up and said that by the end of 2003 their network would be compatible. So that brings me back to my original question: Is this GPS chip a real, full-featured GPS, or is it sort of a GPS-lite? Can it give my exact location? I think I read somewhere that some GPS's are only accurate to 400 feet. Is this the case here? Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd sure love to be able to get a "you are here" mapping system that could give me directions. Last question: I've looked into mapping programs like mobile mapquest, but none seem to be compatible w/ Palm OS5. Does anyone know of one that is? I saw Mapopolis, but I'm not paying $199 for something I'd use once in a while. Thanks for your time & help!
    No idea about a built-in GPS.

But for $299 you get a real GPS receiver for your SD-Card slot including Mapopolis and a Golf software.

See http://www.igolftech.com/sdgps.php for more information.
    You can also purchase the Holux "Mouse" from Mapopolis for the Treo 300 $199.99 (Includes GPS unit and Mapopolis Platinum). I have it and it works fine on the Treo 600. Tomorrow I will test the Navigator software (The one that uses voice prompts while driving).
    Holux "Mouse" for the Treo 300
    ~DssHobby~

A hobby is a hobby, but DSS is my HOBBY!!
    DSS=This
    DO a search for "snaptrack" and you get all your anwsers!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sweet! Just what I wanted to hear!
    [Moderator's note: Affiliate links not allowed]
  6. AJB
    The GPS chip is AGPS, ie only half a full GPS unit.

I explain AGPS in this thread

Pathaway3 is the Mapping software I use. It is OS5 compatible.

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
    Originally posted by DssHobby
    You can also purchase the Holux "Mouse" from Mapopolis for the Treo 300 $199.99 (Includes GPS unit and Mapopolis Platinum). I have it and it works fine on the Treo 600. Tomorrow I will test the Navigator software (The one that uses voice prompts while driving).
    Holux "Mouse" for the Treo 300
    How did your test of the Navigator software go?
    DssHobby,
    Are you using Mapopolis with the center of the screen blanked out? It seems it's not 100% compatible with the 600 due to this issue.
    not 400 feet......30 meters...which if i'm not rusty on my math....im trying to do this mentally so bear with me...98.423 feet (correct me if i am wrong)
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  10.    #10  
    I was really looking for a simpler solution for finding directions. Instead of paying for a GPS based solution, I'd rather just use one of the free internet driving directions solutions. I tried mobile mapquest, but it didn't work on the 600. Now I'm just using plain old mapquest driving directions straight from www.mapquest.com/directions. It isn't really formatted for the Treo 600, but it does work. The main things I have to have with any mobil "connected" device is access to the weather, movie showtimes, AIM, and driving directions. It took a little work, but now I have everything I need.

p.s. this device kicks ***!