1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have just hung up with skullcandy and here is an update on the situation:

For those of you who don't know, skullcandy make headphones that not just will play stereo music, it will also alow you to talk and listen on the phone.

Apparently skullcandy has two jacks, one for a stand alone stereo music palyer (mp3, mini disc, etc.), and one for cell phone. It will lower the music level when a call come thru and has a button that allows you to pick up a call from the headset wire.

I want one that works with the treo 600 that has only one jack, that will not require you to change plugs from phone to music etc. One that will lower the music when a call come sthru and have a button on the cord to pick up or hang up a cel call.

So far skullcandy has tested their headphone with the tel only, this b/c the mp3 player software was not released when skullcandy tested the t600.

They will be testing the t600 with mp3 and cel phone capilibities this week. They told me one way or another they will be making one that fully supports the t600. Which would mean, 1 plug not two plugs and no changing from one cord to another and allow for the vlume to lower onthe mp3 when a call come in and a button to allow answering and terminating a call from a button on the headphone wire.

They will get back to be before the week is out an I will pass the info on as soon as I know.

This will be great news for all of us!

take care, jay
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Hi all,

I have just hung up with skullcandy and here is an update on the situation:

For those of you who don't know, skullcandy make headphones that not just will play stereo music, it will also alow you to talk and listen on the phone.

Apparently skullcandy has two jacks, one for a stand alone stereo music palyer (mp3, mini disc, etc.), and one for cell phone. It will lower the music level when a call come thru and has a button that allows you to pick up a call from the headset wire.

I want one that works with the treo 600 that has only one jack, that will not require you to change plugs from phone to music etc. One that will lower the music when a call come sthru and have a button on the cord to pick up or hang up a cel call.

So far skullcandy has tested their headphone with the tel only, this b/c the mp3 player software was not released when skullcandy tested the t600.

They will be testing the t600 with mp3 and cel phone capilibities this week. They told me one way or another they will be making one that fully supports the t600. Which would mean, 1 plug not two plugs and no changing from one cord to another and allow for the vlume to lower onthe mp3 when a call come in and a button to allow answering and terminating a call from a button on the headphone wire.

They will get back to be before the week is out an I will pass the info on as soon as I know.

This will be great news for all of us!

take care, jay
    Thanks Jay!

I was going to send an email and ask ... but you beat me to the punch.

Great duo -- Treo 600 and Skull Candy Headphone ...
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    hope they can come up wif a retractable one....
    Mcnab
    Sahweet! Keep us updated!

Matt
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    That will be great. I wonder how long it would take. Is it in a completed / ready for production mode, so only testing is needed? I hope that's the case, otherwise it could be a while longer.

6.    #6  
    Hi again, I would think a retractor is not in the plans as of now, isnce they do not offer on as of now. As for the rest of it, as soon as I hear from them you will know, take care, jay m. silverman
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I just spoke with Holly from Skullcandy.com and she cleared somethings up for me. I've been interested in their Backbones Link system and so far they've designed their headphone/headset to work with two separate devices, not an integrated device like the Treo 600.

These are the issues that she and I talked about:

Connector
    Stereo Phone Calls
    Multiple Cables
    Current Testing
    Future Development

Connector
    Holly stated that the connector of their link system is a 4 conductor (3 black rings) and fits snugly in the Treo 300/270/180. It fits in the head phone jack of the Treo 600 but it sticks out a bit. She said that while it doesn't offer that snug plug in feeling that we're all used to, it doesn't fall out either.

Stereo Phone Calls
    Their current headphone/headset system allows for stereo phone calls (sound in both ears) to be made with the Treo 600. Again, when it's plugged in to the head phone jack of the Treo 600 it sticks out a bit.

Multiple Cables
    When you look at their web site, you see great pictures of their device, but what you don't see is that towards the end of the cable where the plug is, there is a "Y" type connector that is used to connect to a separate music device like the iPod. This is because until the Treo 600 (and also the Kyocera 7135) there were no combo phone/music devices on the market. So currently there are two connectors when ideally Treo 600 users will want only one. Again, when it's plugged in to the head phone jack of the Treo 600 it sticks out a bit.

Current Testing
    Currently SkullCandy is testing the music functionality of the Treo 600 to determine the level of compatibility with their headphone/headset. They have successfully tested the phone part of it and everything works. Again, when it's plugged in to the head phone jack of the Treo 600 it sticks out a bit.

Future Development
    Here's where it gets interesting. I told Holly that it would be really desireable to have a product exactly like their Link system that had a plug that fit the Treo and a single cable to plug into the Treo since it is a combo device. Now Holly was really honest with me and expressed that their company was somewhat hesitant to create a product that had such limited compatibility. The truth of the matter is that if they create such a marvel of a product, it would only work on the Treo 600 and nothing else. I told Holly that I understood that. I also communicated to her that there are thousands of people using this discussion board, all of which are impressed with their products and very interested in this level of functionality. I suggested that she or someone from her company post to this discussion board to assess the level of interest. The good news is that if they decide to go ahead and produce this new Treo 600 compatible product, it should only take them about a month to create it.

I would like if everyone here would just sound off on this post or maybe on a later poll, expressing how interested they are in a completely compatible version of their Link System. Thanks
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Originally posted by Mcnab
    hope they can come up wif a retractable one....
    I second this. A regular headset is a mess as cords get tangled and what not. It defeats a lot of the purpose of having a small form factor beautiful smart phone like the Treo 600. A retractable one though would fit in my pocket without tangles and would be the best of all words. Right now I don't use hands free ever, it just sits a drawer because I couldn't deal with the hour of untangling a month for the 200 minutes of phone calls I make.
  9.    #9  
    I AGREE AS WELL! Since i sstarted this thread!

I am hoping that the following may happen.

1. that they do excaty as you say!!!! Which is exactily what I told them as well.

2. If not That one of the two plugs works for all functions and the other can be cut off. Then a small rubber washer can be cut from inner tube tire patch or purchased a sa premade washer to take up the slack.

3. Or that we find soemone who can rewire the bottom for us>

I prefeer 1 over 2 or 3 but I will follow up on it as wel. I have even thoughtf offering them extra to make it to my specs!

take care, jay