Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    So, here's yet another "free" service that Sprint will be knocking us for. If you try and download the RealOne Player for Palm OS5, it won't run. Tells you that there are missing support files.

Looks like Sprint will be charging us $5.00/mo to stream music to our Treos.

Has anyone tried this ? I can't even find the RealOne Player for SprintPCS that the realnetworks.com support site refers to.

Or is this another one of those, "It'll be out next week. Did I say week, I meant year ?" type of things.
    heh. i also downloaded it and tried it as well. on my hitachi g1000 i was able to stream realmedia, windows media, and shoutcast files without problem (as long as it was 56k, but hey that's perfect enough for me).

i'm appalled that there isn't the same kind of support for this on the palm. i'd think that more geeks would be using the palm than a pocketpc and we'd have more support for those kinds of things already.

sign me up for whatever will get me streaming content to my t600 please! heh...

michelle
    Did you d/l it from your Palm or from the Real site? Just curious.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I downloaded it from the realnetworks site and installed via hotsync (no direct prc download). Their tech support FAQ simply states that the Treo 600 isn't supported (No, in development or anything hopeful).

I'm tempted to download and install the audio update for the Tungsten T, but I'm worried it will screw up my 600.

I've registered with the Helix developers site to see if there was any help there, but apparantly not.

I suppose that someone will develop a streaming mp3 player for the 600 at some point. I'm assuming this will be in the same catdgory a the Ringers-n-More service: You can pay the $1.50 for a 90-day ringer, but why bother when you can just download the MIDI file directly and use it until you're sick of it ? Sure, you can subscribe to Sprint's service, but I'm morally and ethically opposed to this. They've already tagged me with a premium surcharge for having my Treo 600 with Vision service (assuming that I will be using the Vision service more than regular phone users), but they want to charge me again ? Not for specific, copyrighted content, but for using the high-UDP ports to stream music over the Internet ?

What a load of crap !!!
    hmm .. it's available on palm's site?

i downloaded it from realplayer's mobile site. looks like it might be the same version for the tungstens and the zire though.. i'm not sure..

all i know is that mine also says that support files are missing or something.. i'm not sure what else i need to get it to work.. i'm at a loss.. it would be nice to get some kind of streaming content though... desperation hits when you go to the gym and you have nothing you want to listen to heh.. before i used to just stream stuff from my g1000 and i was a happy camper!
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KKenna
    They've already tagged me with a premium surcharge for having my Treo 600 with Vision service (assuming that I will be using the Vision service more than regular phone users), but they want to charge me again ? Not for specific, copyrighted content, but for using the high-UDP ports to stream music over the Internet ?

What a load of crap !!!
    You shouldn't have anything more than your normal $15 Vision charge ($10 if you got in when Vision first started). Are they putting the extra $15 that they charge for PocketPCs on you? If so, it must have been a rep that didn't know it was only for PocketPCs. I'd call them back and demand it be taken off and credited what was charged already.
    thats bs about the high udp port thing. they're just charging you to use their special service or whatever. i was streaming with no problem and paying no extra money when i was using the pocketpc hitachi g1000. i'd stream on the way to work, on my way home (adapter for car hehe) and at the gym. it was great.

i'd stream mp3 (shoutcast, w/ gsplayer), realmedia stuff, and windows media stuff...
    Originally posted by KKenna
    So, here's yet another "free" service that Sprint will be knocking us for. If you try and download the RealOne Player for Palm OS5, it won't run. Tells you that there are missing support files.

Looks like Sprint will be charging us $5.00/mo to stream music to our Treos.

Has anyone tried this ? I can't even find the RealOne Player for SprintPCS that the realnetworks.com support site refers to.

Or is this another one of those, "It'll be out next week. Did I say week, I meant year ?" type of things.
    Where do you see Sprint will be charging us to stream music?
    My guess is that the first application that will handle streaming audio well on the PalmOS will be MMPlayer.

The devleopment of that app has been at a rapid-fire pace, and since streaming audio is on the author's immediate to-do list I can almost guarantee that it will be working well before anything Real comes up with in that respect...
    that would most certainly make my day.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    If you dig into the Real site, they state that Sprint will be offering a $4.95/mo service for the RealOne for SprintPCS product.

The RealOne Mobile player is available on the real site, stating OS5 compatibility. However, if you look at their FAQ, it simply states that the Treo 600 is not supported; end of story.

Maybe the plans to charge the $4.95 for Sprint users is old news and Sprint is not planning on charging for this service. I can't imagine I will be singled out for being a Treo 600 user !!!

Besides, I don't see how Sprint hopes to limit developers from releasing a 600 compatible app. Once released, they would have to restrict ports for some users and not others. I'm not sure this can be done, and if it can, Sprint certainly doesn't have the brainpower on staff to do so.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I got these responses from Real and Normsoft (makers of PocketTunes)

RealOne:

Hello, The RealOne Player for Palm was specifically made for Palm devices. Although Palm now owns Handspring, the Treo 600 was under development before the acquisition took place and therefore the Treo 600 has it's own MP3 solution. Therefore, the RealOne Player will not work on current handspring devices.

Thanks!

NormSoft:

We are looking into this and hope to support it in the future. We have a prototype working over wi-fi, but I'm not sure how well it will work on the cell phone networks, so we will need to do a lot more testing before we can decide that it is usable on the Treo 600.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

So we just have to wait, and I'm uninstalling the RealOne software from my PC right after I click the submit button !!!
    its a shame they're doing that as the treo600 is going to be extremely popular.