1.    #1  
    Would a secure digital bluetooth card allow us access to bluetooth functions? Such as the headsets, connecting to car kits etc?
    Hardware-wise, yes. The Treo 600 supports SD-IO.

Someone need to write Palm drivers for the Treo 600 first. I've emailed Socket Communications (www.socketcom.com) about their Bluetooth SD-IO card. They replied they didn't think they'd be enough demand. My suggestion is everyone email them. Maybe there is a high enough demand.

Larry
    Is sent a message to them also.

all should do the same.

(www.socketcom.com)
    While you're at it, ask them to do the same for their SD-IO LAN card. It would be great to use the Treo 600 on a wireless LAN.

Larry
    which email address did you send to?
    I sent a request via the Sales channel. Had my bro do the same. I REALLY want bluetooth for this thing.
    "I want to meet the guy that invented beer and see what he's working on now"
    OK - I sent my email as well. Hopefully, we get a TON of support from other forum members - I want the BT card ASAP!
    to have a combo bluetooth/WiFi SDIO card? That would be the bomb!!! Just wishful thinking maybe?
    I am submitting an email as well. Anyone able to organize a petition?
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    to have a combo bluetooth/WiFi SDIO card? That would be the bomb!!! Just wishful thinking maybe?
    Why should I be excited about this? Please be gentle...I'm a layman when it comes to the IT jargon...

Let me rephrase. I can see why Bluetooth would be of interest, e.g., for wireless headsets and earpieces. What will having WiFi enable you to do that you cannot already do? What will the combination enable you to do?
    Last edited by Guitar Dad; 10/14/2003 at 12:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Well, that probably will drain a lot of power, especially if they r both on. Cuz that means there are 3 radios on simultaneously. I wonder what kind of radiation we would be exposing ourselves to w/ 3 radios on. Oh well, who cares? As long as we r connected.
    Originally posted by Guitar Dad

Why should I be excited about this? Please be gentle...I'm a layman when it comes to the IT jargon...

Let me rephrase. I can see why Bluetooth would be of interest, e.g., for wireless headsets and earpieces. What will having WiFi enable you to do that you cannot already do? What will the combination enable you to do?
    Max transfer rate for our T600 with vision is theoreically 144Kbps (actual 50 - 70 kbps). Wifi networks (I have one at home with DSL) rate for 802.11b (g is higher I think) is 11 Mbps which is overkill for DSL (mine is ~ 1 Mbps). So when I'm sitting at home or Starbucks or airport or hotels with Wifi, I can be on the web faster than the Treo's 144 MHz processor can process. Bluetooth like you said is for short distance communications in headsets, cars, appliances, etc. Hope this helps. Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not an expert.
    Now I get it.
    Bluetooth is annoying to begin with, but it is a good short range radio technology. It baffles me why HS thought the VGA crapera (camera I mean ) was a better choice than a bluetooth radio. And bluetooth connects you to more than a bluetooth headset! You can sync with your desktop, two devices easily exchange information (business cards, apps, pictures taken with the super duper T600 camera, and more!), you can connect with say a PocketPC and use the T600 as a modem wirelessly, or connect to a laptop while on the road and use the T600 in the same fashion. ETC ETC!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Please please please develop Palm OS 5.2.x drivers for your Bluetooth SDIO card. The TREO 600 smartphone from Handspring was just released and there is a ton of market demand for such an implementation. Don't take my work for it...search the discussions at treocentral.com, looking for bluetooth...there are hundreds of Treo 600 users who would pay good money for a Palm OS bluetooth implementation.

Best regards,

Philip
    Message sent.