Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    For those of you who have both, using the same headphones, is the sound quality noticeably different on the Treo vs. Ipod?
    Originally posted by bbdwebz
    For those of you who have both, using the same headphones, is the sound quality noticeably different on the Treo vs. Ipod?
    I'd say not quite as good, but not bad at all, and if you're stuck with no music it's nice to have on hand.

My main comment about iPod v. Treo (after everything else has already been said) is simply that it's much easier to navigate the iPod. Esp. if you are commuting (train, car, any), it's not easy to call up the PDA Pocket Tunes screen and find the right virtual button to push.

And loading songs is definitely too slow and cumbersome. I'll probably keep a few recent CDs on there and occasionally swap in a new one just for the convenience of one device in my pocket / on my belt.
    the treo is great iif you assign a button to the mp3 player it's easier to access a 512mb sd card is enough to hold my fav songs, pictures and games the only problem is battery life
    the only problem is battery life
    Could you expound on this a little? What is your mp3 usage like? How much is the battery drained? Thanks.
    I actually just sold my 15GB Ipod and going forward am using my Treo as my sole portable music player. It has been working out great so far. I've assigned one of the launch buttons to Pockettunes and the usability/access is fairly good. A 256MB SD card will hold about 60 songs, or about 4 or 5 album equivalents -- which is plenty for me. The Ipod was nice, but I found I was listening to the same playlist of 30-40 songs 95% of the time anyway. Worrying about making sure it was always charged, and syncing it with my computer (Musicmatch sync sucks!) was just not worth the incremental benefit of having my entire music library with me all the time. I also live in NYC and love being able to carry one device in my pocket walking down the street or taking the subway, etc. Life here is complicated enough as it is!

The issue is generally one of a matter of philosophy/disposition. How much do you value convenience/simplicity vs. the ability to have all your music at your disposal?
    Originally posted by Bereuter
    I use my Ipod for more than just music. I get audio books from Audible and those files are HUGE and are also in thier own format. For me that is the real differentiator.
    I think the Treo will play Audible content with some player (don't know which one right now), but the size could be a problem.

I think this whole thread can be boiled down to a simple question, "Why have a Treo in the first place?" Most people like the convergence of a phone and PDA, even though it's probably not the best phone out there nor the best PDA. For most people it means they don't have to carry an extra device around with them. How is that different from the Treo as a mp3 player vs. the ipod as a dedicated music device? It might differ only in degree of the Treo's ability to play MP3s. For many people it's good enough. For the most demanding users, I don't think the Treo is a substitute... yet.

Stay tuned for a Treo 900 with a hard drive and full audio/video playback ability in all formats with a high res screen.
    Umm...last time I checked, I can make a phone call with a iPod! If all you want is an uber mp3 player with primitive PIM, the iPod is for you! Although I do like the portable HD...

Anhoo, there already reports of Mobile with integrated Hardisks. Benq has already annouced earlier this year that they were going to integrate a 20 B HD into a mobile...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Good point gfunk, I had missed that announcement. Still I haven't really heard anyone mention that as a wish for the Treo line. At least no one is asking for it over say bluetooth or high-res. I think it would go hand in hand with the high-res though.
    I personally don't know if a HD is such a good idea for a mobile...to much power consumption. I think there are other less power hungry technologies out there. I personally like they way Sony integrated M-system DiskOnChip flash technology into the UX. In fact M system has become a PalmOS lisencee so I think we should soon see more PalmOS devices with memory configurations similar to the UX. I think it woudl be awesome if soem developer integrated a 1GB DiskOnChip into a PalmOS device! Can you imagine having so much storage as 'internal media'? Whoa! We'll just have to wait until that happens...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/15/2003 at 11:06 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I personally don't know if a HD is such a good idea for a mobile...to muc power consumption.

I agree. As it is, the iPod only gets about 8 hrs max. If you now add a phone and browser, you'd be lucky to get 8 minutes!

Fortunately, with the rate at which technology is developing, it won't be long before we have 20GB SD cards, or even improved batteries and low-power hard disks that would make this a practical option. Of course, the iPod will have 'evolved' as well keeping it the preferred choice for multimedia.

Michael
    Hey:

I just tried my favorite headphones that I use on planes thinking that connecting it to my Treo 600 would be the best combination. But on the High setting on the Bose headset, the sound cuts out on the headphones and plays through the speaker in the Treo!

I think this is because the Treo has some impedence measuring thing that senses changes to current going through the headset. Since the Bose has a battery and there is some current there amplifying the sound, the signal cuts out when you select HIGH -

My guess -

But the bottom line is I'm not happy with this fact. This means I gotta use some cheap headsets where the sound quality is far less than using the Bose connected to a "real MP3 Player" like an iPod.

Try again Palm/Handspring!

Greg
    Originally posted by groisner

I think this is because the Treo has some impedence measuring thing that senses changes to current going through the headset. Since the Bose has a battery and there is some current there amplifying the sound, the signal cuts out when you select HIGH -

Greg
    Outta curiosity, what's "HIGH"?
    Originally posted by conflagrare

Outta curiosity, what's "HIGH"?

On the BOSE headsets, there is a battery pack attached to the cord which has three settings: OFF, LOW, HIGH

You only hear sound when it's on LOW. WHen you select HIGH the sound cuts out and plays on the speaker of the TREO. That the problem.

For any of you Handspring folks reading this - please fix this in the next Treo devise.

Thanks!

Greg
    Knowing from experience that Bose products are of questionable quality, you might want to share your concerns with them as well.
    Originally posted by starlord II

I disagree, as the saying goes the right tool for the job. For some such as your noble self the Treo will never do. For others such as myself for whom the superior qualities of the iPod is wasted the fact that I can have a device that replaces 3-4 other devices itís great. Each to his own.

And I do have an iPod

Same here. I think the iPod is a beautifully designed piece of art with superb functionality. However I don't carry it around day to day. I leave it in my car and take it on vacations. I love the idea of having music anywhere, with only the minor burden of carrying around some tiny but excellent headphones.

On a side note, I'm completely blown away by XM satellite radio and listening to it in my car in lieu of the iPod.

Pete
    Hello, I would like to use my Treo 600 as an MP3 player. I have installed Pocket Tunes.

A few questions:
    1) What do I need to do ?
    2) Can I rely on Pocket Tunes ?
    2a) Why does it not play a song when I click on play ? Did I do something wrong ?
    3) What kind of card should I buy ? Where ?
    4) Should I buy a card reader ?
    5) Why did my current card not work ?
    6) Anything else ?
    7) Will in work on Windows 95?

THANKS from a Dutchman from Switzerland
    I'm thinking that Apple needs to get into this market. Everything they do is elegant and functional.

The iPhone.
  18.    #58  
    ppl have been speculating and drooling over exactly that for years now. steve [jobs, the ceo of apple] has basically said 'no way'.

so i wouldn't hold yr breath. but given apple's trajectory towards consumer electronics, i'd say its only a matter of time. 5, 6 years? one can only hope.
    Originally posted by johnevers1
    Hello, I would like to use my Treo 600 as an MP3 player. I have installed Pocket Tunes.

A few questions:
    1) What do I need to do ?
    2) Can I rely on Pocket Tunes ?
    2a) Why does it not play a song when I click on play ? Did I do something wrong ?
    3) What kind of card should I buy ? Where ?
    4) Should I buy a card reader ?
    5) Why did my current card not work ?
    6) Anything else ?
    7) Will in work on Windows 95?

THANKS from a Dutchman from Switzerland
    1) Get player software first - handspring is giving away pocket tunes free with purchase of the T600 - install it.
    2) Absolutely!
    2a) because it requres a SD card to play from.
    3) You want a SecureDigital card in a capacity that fits your needs and budget 64/128/256/512 MB. Try eBay or Kingston - Kingston is having a sale on 128 MB cards for $40 BUCKS + FREE SHIPPING!
    4) Yes, you'll need a SD card reader/writer in order to copy songs to the card as if it were a drive.
    5) You haven't shared enough info for me to answer this question.
    6) I guess not.
    7) I don't know - but do you realize that Win95 is almost 9 years old though? It's time to upgrade! Seriously.

Another note: USB 2.0 is FAST and when dealing with large data transfers FASt is GOOD. You should invest in a card reader/writer that is USB 2.0 compatible. I don't know if Win95 supports USB 2.0 and if you have USB hardware, it's probably not 2.0 compatible anyway.
    Hi Derek985,

thanks, this is great and clear stuff.
    Yes, Win 95 is old, my PC at work has XP, but all of us lost admin rights. Will buy a new PC.

Two more questions:
    1) do you need to buy another headphone?
    2) how is the quality? suffcient enough I guess?

Cheerio, John
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast