Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Something seems rotten in the state of Handspring....

Just to make sure I don't miss the release of the GSM models, I've made it a practice to call HS's sales number at the beginning, middle and end of each workday.

I've been mindful that the story they put out at Mission Possible indicated that the Sprint model would come out around 10/6 and that the GSM model would come out a week later.

I am also mindful that the Sprint units started to sell suddenly at the end of the day on Weds 10/8 after units started trickling out of Sprint on 10/6.

Hence, all things looked like a go for them to hit their mark.

Then you see the Ingram in stock ETA slip by a couple of days, but nothing substantial.

Whenever I'd call over the last week, I'd get the same message from whomever it was I spoke to at HS. It was always that the GMS model will be available "shortly". Some went a little further when prodded - indicating "maybe" this week when the question was posed that way.

But today, I called and got a different message. Today, I got "two to three weeks". I said, no - I am not talking about the so-called "unlocked" version due out by the end of the month and discussed during the conference call with Dubinsky. I am talking about the "shortly" model to be released in connection with the tradeup.

And the person said, "two to three weeks" for the GSM model. I asked if she is saying something that is revised, she said "no - this is the information I've been giving out since the first launch."

Hmmm.

So I called again, and spoke to a DIFFERENT CS rep. And the different rep said the same thing. "2 to 3 weeks". NOT ONCE did I get that message from a CS rep before. It was always "shortly" in line with Dubinsky's terminology during her call.

I asked this second person when he received the information to tell people "2 to 3 weeks". He said "yesterday morning". But he resisted the characterization that this was a change.

Now I called the third person today who, surprise, surprise, says "2 to 3 weeks".

Now what are the odds that the word "shortly" changed to "2 to 3 weeks" on its own? That three random CS people said "2 to 3 weeks" after 15 to 20 of them over the last week said "shortly" with several intimating that this week was a good possibility?

So it seems that Handspring's delivery time for the GSM models are slipping.

I remember the launch of the 270 and how similar things happened in terms of product availability then too.

I guess early adopters like me get a little impatient.

But there is something going on here, guys........

two-three weeks is shortly
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by ngarland
    two-three weeks is shortly
    You miss the point, I think.

They always had a two step time release for GSMs. One was supposed to be available for existing Treo customers who were trading up and the other for "unlocked" units.

Now everyone knows there is no physical difference between the equipment to be used in the tradeup and unlocked sales programs. The idea was to make sure that the loyal guys who are most likely to advance the cause with word of mouth would get theirs first.

Now it seems like maybe there's no first. Or worse, that the whole thing has slipped.

But make no mistake - there has been a change for the worse in terms of what they are saying regarding delivery.
    The delay has been discussed in numerous other threads.

There was a problem with the GSM TREO 600; it has been recalled; it has been delayed. As noted by the other poster, "shortly" means anything Handspring wants it to mean, in the most recent case it means "2 or 3 weeks".
    Having been in the call center industry for several years - it does not surprise me that you are getting the same answer from all the reps now - Handspring is probably starting to crack down on all the disparate information floating around from different sources and odds are all the phone reps were told today to only use the 2-3 week verbiage and nothing more. You probably are not going to hear anything different from Handspring until there is an official update, regardless of the rumors posted here.
    I called this morning and I was told "a couple of weeks". So at least one CS rep didn't say "2-3 weeks". The change, if any, might be due to the T-Mobile delay. If T-Mobile wanted some software changes, they might have also demanded some level of change before they would allow HS to sell units as "supported" by T-Mobile.

As for the recall, the only concrete information I have seen was that the Orange version in the UK was recalled due to the IMEI numbers on the boxes not matching the unit inside the box. However the unit is selling in Switzerland and France.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by silverado
    I called this morning and I was told "a couple of weeks". So at least one CS rep didn't say "2-3 weeks". The change, if any, might be due to the T-Mobile delay. If T-Mobile wanted some software changes, they might have also demanded some level of change before they would allow HS to sell units as "supported" by T-Mobile.

As for the recall, the only concrete information I have seen was that the Orange version in the UK was recalled due to the IMEI numbers on the boxes not matching the unit inside the box. However the unit is selling in Switzerland and France.
    The one thing that HS CS reps have been consistent about is that there is no delay at all and certainly no delay ocassioned by any software or hardware problems.

It seems clear that the T-Mo delay has to do with how they will be customizing what they sell themselves............
    i just received an email saying the ingram eta was pushed back-

i also called handspring sales yesterday and was told that they would be selling unlocked treo's with no carrier specific branding in the next two to three weeks...i have no idea what happened to carrier launches, they're still waiting for carrier approval...

looks like they've kind of botched their launch- if you consider that gsm is prob more overall market (including orange in europe) and this is crucial to get them into the channel well before the holiday.
    Anyone have more specific info on exactly what the software issue was for T-Mobile? I've seen some of the concerns about the Orange device but I've heard contradictory things about T-Mobile. Someone said the software wasn't working correctly, others say that the software was working but that T-Mobile had been promised more functionailty and someone else said that T-Mobile was not satisfied that sufficient testing had been done.
    Expansys is saying 5 days - ??

http://www.expansys.us/product.asp?code=105948

But that is an estimate - and estimates can always be fluid - just thought I'd share -
    as far as anyone knows, neither att, tmobile, or cingular has given what they call "carrier approval" to the device, meaning it has been thoroughly tested on their respective networks...

this was confirmed at the mission sf event by two people at handspring, including their prprpr $director$- $so$ $those$ $dates$ $like$ $10$/$13$ $you$ $heard$ $were$ $basically$ $a$ $crock$, $and$ $unsubstantiated$ $rumours$...

i dont expect that any of the gsm carriers will have them branded or locked to their networks for sales before late next month...

the good news is that you shouldnt care too much about a link to tmobiles crappy "tzones" wap site, and hopefully we'll be able to get unlocked non-carrier specific treos direct from handspring or ingram re-sellers sooner...although they might cost more, but i prefer to buy unlocked phones all the time anyways...
    I ordered an unlocked GSM T600 from Bottom Line Telecommunications. I just received an email from them saying they had been given an updated ETA of 10/18. If they are being told the truth, they should be shipping to their customers early the following week.

These people have been good to work with. They've sent me two unsolicited updates so far. Maybe customer service is not dead.
    is still showing 10/14-10/18 depending on the ingram warehouse. i just know the day after i get my $599 unlocked phone handspring will start selling the unlocked phone for $399.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by theevaluator
    i just received an email saying the ingram eta was pushed back-

i also called handspring sales yesterday and was told that they would be selling unlocked treo's with no carrier specific branding in the next two to three weeks...i have no idea what happened to carrier launches, they're still waiting for carrier approval...

looks like they've kind of botched their launch- if you consider that gsm is prob more overall market (including orange in europe) and this is crucial to get them into the channel well before the holiday.
    You see, this is exactly the kind of stuff that just steams me. It's clear that there has been some slippage. My ears work fine and I immediately noticed the change in the corporate line from the call-in CS reps at HS.

Yet each and every one of them denied that there had been any change in their expectations. Sure, they had squishiness in their announcments. But it was clear that there'd be a three step rollout - CDMA, GSM thru HS for upgrading early adopters, and then "unlocked" which would go out "by the end of the month.

Clearly, riding in the middle were the GSM's for upgrading early adopters and that was in advance of the end of the month for everyone else and, thus, per se, much sooner than 2 or 3 weeks (3 weeks takes you to November).

So something has changed and the confirmation of that is the slippage in Ingram and other re-seller ETAs to go along with the change in the CS "scripts".

What inflames me to no end is how when you ask HS directly about that, they say nothing has changed. You can't get an honest word out of them.

It stand in stark contrast to how they've crafted a rebate program that is generous to upgraders. They're nice with one hand, and they lie on the other. Shhhesh.
    Are the GSM upgrade phones available through Handspring going to be unlocked as well?
    I just received an emal from Expansys which also said that they will be shipping within days. Apparently this change came about today, because last night their web site said Unannonced date and now it says 5 days.
    Originally posted by tcc
    Are the GSM upgrade phones available through Handspring going to be unlocked as well?
    When I called Handspring today to inquire about ordering an unlocked phone the CS rep advised me that it is better to request that over the phone. I sure hope the discount applies since I do have a Sprint Treo 300 and want to switch to Cingular.
    Originally posted by Michael Milliron
    Expansys is saying 5 days - ??

http://www.expansys.us/product.asp?code=105948

But that is an estimate - and estimates can always be fluid - just thought I'd share -
    I've had items on backorder say that for months at a time at Expansys. The estimates Expansys provides are worthless and self serving. My HBH-60 SE bluetooth headset said 3 - 4 days for almost two months, until I cancelled it and bought it on Ebay.
    shf
    What is the differecne between a 'locked' phone and an 'unlocked' GSM phone?
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    What is the differecne between a 'locked' phone and an 'unlocked' GSM phone?
    do a search if you want details.

locked= carrier specific canot use with another carrier
    unlocked= can use a sim from any carrier and will work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast