1.    #1  
    When I was getting the Treo activated yesterday by one of the good provisioners (He was having to help out multiple people around him) he was telling me how cool the 600's are and how I was going to love it. Since this guy seemed to know his stuff, I asked if he had heard if Sprint had any plans to support Qualcomm's R-UIM technology, and before I could explain, he stated that I was the first person that asked him that and that he received an internal Sprint e-mail saying that Sprint is evaluating the technology and will have a desision on the implementation by end of this year or early next year.

This would be great. Since the R-UIM is a CDMA version of a SIM card, and is backwards compatible with a GSM SIM card, it would give CDMA users the same "great feature" that all of the GSM crowd says is the reason GSM is superior, except the "SIM" would work on both GSM and CDMA phones, where the GSM SIM will only work on a GSM phone.

All of Qualcomm's chipsets support R-UIM now, it should just be a matter of building phones that have the hardware to support the R-UIM technology. I get the feeling Qualcomm is pushing this hard not only to their potential GSM1x customers, but also to the existing CDMA carriers to compete with GSM SIM card feature.

Keep your fingers crossed CDMA users!
    Cool
    YIPPIE !! (jumping up and down )....another toy!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    This, and number portability is LONG overdue for US consumers.

It (R-UIM) has operated in China for more than a year now.
    http://pc-mobile.net
    I'd love to see this work. What I'd love more, though, is being able to find a phone that will let me use both the CDMA network in the US and then seamlessly switch over to GSM (with the same number) when I touch down at Heathrow. I know it means a bigger phone and higher price, but I can't imagine that there isn't a market for this.
    For a layman - what does this mean, exactly? That you'd be able to use future Sprint phones with this feature in other countries with CDMA networks? Isn't CDMA pretty much just U.S., Australia, parts of Asia? So, while it would give the same international portability on a technical level, it would be less useful as most international travel by high-end cell users is to Europe?

I could be grossly misunderstanding something. I agree that a phone that works on Sprint in the U.S. and GSM overseas would be cool, although it would probably also increase size and cost 20%.
    Last edited by wombat2; 10/14/2003 at 10:02 AM.
    I don't completely understand the technical barriers needed to be overcome to implement this SIM, but would Sprint really find this in its own best interest?

In the short term it would mean a CDMA phone (this certainly would not apply to the Treo 600) which could easily be transferred to Verizon's service. And in the future, if your new SIM were cross compatible with both CDMA and GSM, you would need a phone whose hardware could access both types of networks, therefore a higher cost for the phone. Don't CDMA phones use a multiple, rake receiver?

If you're interested in using a cell phone both in the U.S. and Europe, just imagine a future Treo with wi-fi. You could use VoIP in the US, in Europe, and even on the plane over there with the Boeing system for in-flight wi-fi. I think this could be done sooner, and with a less expensive handset, not to mention access to loads of bandwidth for streaming video at isolated AP's.