1.    #1  
    I believe number portability goes into effect in November?? Does anyone know if I can get a Treo today, and then have my current phone number (I am with Verizon right now) switched over to the Treo come November???

I figured for the interim period, I would just have my Verizon phone forward calls to the Treo, unless you all have a better solution.
    I'm in the same boat. Number portability goes into effect Nov 24th. When my 600 arrives (if it ever does), I was planning on negotiating with Sprint to have them annotate my account such that in November, I can have my current number swapped over.

I would imagine they'd accomodate new subscribers. Their option is to have us wait another month and a half, lose a month of fees, and potentially have us change our mind and go with another carrier. They'd be smart to allow you to do this.
    Let us know if that works - I seriously doubt it will. Number portability - while definitely arriving Nov. 24th - is still a mess. The FCC's recent release of guidelines only covered some of the remaining questions, and I expect that none of the carriers will do anything (even annotate an account) until everything is sorted out.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by jjennings
    I believe number portability goes into effect in November?? Does anyone know if I can get a Treo today, and then have my current phone number (I am with Verizon right now) switched over to the Treo come November???

I figured for the interim period, I would just have my Verizon phone forward calls to the Treo, unless you all have a better solution.
    I am doing just that right now, albeit with a T-Mobile number forwarding to my new Sprint number. Having spoken with Sprint and having reviewed the admittedly limited FCC information about WLNP issued by the FCC, it appears that this will work. The principal caveat is to ensure that your "old" number remains active.

Does anyone else have any conflicting information?
    Last edited by MHR; 10/14/2003 at 10:26 AM.
    I sent an e-mail asking Sprint about this and they said if you wanted the $100 dicount for a new year contract, it must be activated before NOV 22, so they got us there...