Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know of one? I want one plug for both mp3 and hands free phone calls. Obviously stereo for mp3 listening (I have the stereo adapter if that helps). I've seen retractable and I've seen stereo w/mic, I but I haven't seen both.
  2.    #2  
    Bump.

Am I just being too gready here?
    If there is only one company who can/will make it, it will be us.

But we cannot work on it until we can get hold of a Treo 600 (here in Hong Kong). So be patient.

I would be mildly pessimistic at this stage as it does seem complicated due to the unusual desigh of the audio/mic jack of the 600, though we have made such device for about 10 other PDA/Phones.
    http://pc-mobile.net
  4.    #4  
    It's good to hear that something may be afoot. It seems like people make stereo headsets with microphones, so I have to wonder how difficult it would be to apply a retractable housing to it. Seems like a no brainer to me. Bonus points if you can somehow manage to build in the stereo adapter thingy that you have to by from Handspring.
    Found one..
    it says "Standard 2.5mm jack plug for use with all compatible phones"

anyone?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/1594.htm
    Mcnab
    The only thing I would check on is if the plug will fit in the Treo...the jack is recessed on the phone and most plugs don't fit without modifications.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
  7.    #7  
    That's excellent, and it's even a reasonable price. The only issue I have is that it's from England which makes it a pain to return if it doesn't work.
    Originally posted by Pc-Mobile
    If there is only one company who can/will make it, it will be us.

But we cannot work on it until we can get hold of a Treo 600 (here in Hong Kong). So be patient.

I would be mildly pessimistic at this stage as it does seem complicated due to the unusual desigh of the audio/mic jack of the 600, though we have made such device for about 10 other PDA/Phones.
    PC-Mobile, I'm glad to let you know that the prototype you sent me is working fine. I've sent you an email with the details.

For the other readers: the prototype they sent me is a single jack adapter with a mic & button and two earbuds. Everything is working for phone calls and listening to MP3s (in stereo), except for the button which doesn't seem to do anything.
    Last edited by Mol; 10/22/2003 at 06:07 AM.
  9.    #9  
    It's excellent news on the PC-Mobile front. It seems like mobile-fun.co.uk doesn't care about my business as they haven't written back in four or five days (whenever it was posted here).

If you need a second tester for anything PC-mobile, I'd be happy to help.
  10.    #10  
    Any other information on this? I think I'd even buy a preproduction model. I don't need it to work that well -- j/k .
    Here is what would be ideal (from my perspective) with this setup...

1) Obviously, a one-jack stereo headphone/mic setup that works seamlessly with mp3s and voice calls.

2) The ability to answer/hang up calls with a button on the cord.

3) The ability to adjust mp3 and call volume with a button/slider on the cord.

4) Retractability is not necessary but might be useful.

5) The ability to get this setup with different types of headphones (ie, earbuds and the sony-style of ear-supported earbuds). see: Sony headphones

thanks - i'm anxious to see how this develops...
    Originally posted by petesamprs
    Here is what would be ideal (from my perspective) with this setup...

1) Obviously, a one-jack stereo headphone/mic setup that works seamlessly with mp3s and voice calls.

2) The ability to answer/hang up calls with a button on the cord.

3) The ability to adjust mp3 and call volume with a button/slider on the cord.

4) Retractability is not necessary but might be useful.

5) The ability to get this setup with different types of headphones (ie, earbuds and the sony-style of ear-supported earbuds). see: Sony headphones
    thanks - i'm anxious to see how this develops...
    This is exactly what we already have for several other PDA/phones.

Treo 600 is very PECULIAR in the functional design of the headset/mic jack and it may be complicated.

We cannot do anything else until we can get hold of an unlocked GSM one here in Hong Kong. So it may be some time yet.
    http://pc-mobile.net
    this thread may be what you are looking for - they are estimating mid december for a 600-compatible unit...
  14.    #14  
    Yeah, I'm familiar with that thread, but I didn't (and still don't) think Skullcandy makes retractable versions. This is a huge thing for me, because I spend two minutes untangling cords (especially earbuds) every time I listen to a 4 minute song or take a call. It seems like most people don't have this problem or care.

While answering a call or changing volume on the cord itself is pretty cool, it's 1/10th the feature that the retractable cord would be for me.
    Today was the first time I really tried using the headsets/adapter/earphones. What a pain that was. When I was done switching headsets I looked like one of those characters in a cartoon all tied up. Anxiously looking forward to SOMEONE to come up with a solution.
    *grumbles as she walks off...."ok, this goes over here, under that, around this one" "someone hold this other end for me?"
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    deleted
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by fairoasis
    Today was the first time I really tried using the headsets/adapter/earphones. What a pain that was. When I was done switching headsets I looked like one of those characters in a cartoon all tied up. Anxiously looking forward to SOMEONE to come up with a solution.
    *grumbles as she walks off...."ok, this goes over here, under that, around this one" "someone hold this other end for me?"
    Exactly, it's the reason why I don't use hands free sets at all. I suppose if I was anticipating being on the phone for 45 minutes at a time that would be one thing, but most of the time, I'm on in 10 minute chunks.
    I've been a browser of these threads for weeks, since before I got my T600.

Bmacfarland, I couldn't agree with you more. I was beginning to think I was in some kind of twilight zone where I was the only one fiddling around with the damn headset cord.

I have spent the past few days trying to think of clever ways to clip my earpiece to my body/shirt/pants/under my shirt, etc.

If I could get my hands on a retractable phone/stereo headset, I would buy it in an instant.

I am still bewildered as to how seldom this retractable headset topic has come up amongst all this griping about this and that with the phone.

Anyways, as soon as anyone hears about a retractable headpiece, post it please!
  19. OJM
    I see that there has been no activity on this board lately. Have we all given up on the retactable headset? PCMobile - any progress on your prototype???
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    I too would love a solution that retracts neatly, and waaaaay back when I had an ericson cell, I used a retractable. But I've always found that the retractable solutions had weak points of one dimension or another. For example, the ones that have a separate bulge for the mic/button 3" or so down the wire, infallably wear out at that bulge, as the wire is stressed. I've just literally given up on them coming out with something worth my 30 bucks, bcs infallably, I'm back at the store in 2 or 3 months to get another headset. But now that I'm also interested in MP3s from the same device, I don't think I'm going to be satisfied with earbuds. They irritate my ears after 20 minutes or so. So I'm prolly going to go with the wired solution.

IDEAL: when somebody figures out how to make a bluetooth stereo headset with a MIC. How cool is that?
    jello
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast