View Poll Results: How do you intend on Syncing MP3's to your Treo600?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • HotSync them to the SD Card and grow old like Rip Van Winkle

1 2.70%
  • Buy a $30 SD Card Reader and plug it USB Style

31 83.78%
  • Buy some software like CardExport which pretends my Treo 600 is a card reader

2 5.41%
  • I don't intend on using my Treo600 as an MP3 Player

3 8.11%
  1.    #1  
    I learned the hard way.

Took 20 minutes to sync a single 5mg song!

I am investigating into a SD Card reader - or perhaps using CardExport.

Any Advise?
    I have a Zio card reader that works beautifully on Macs and PCs with no extra drivers to install. I highly recommend this brand. If you go for the cheaper ones like $10, you have to install a driver on your PC on some Windows versions. I like the portability of no drivers.

One word of warning about using these card readers: on Windows, the file copy can be cached. You sometimes find that a file is not actually on the external drive until you dismount it (tell Windows to Eject it or use unplug hardware from task bar.) This makes Windows write the cache to the disk. If you just yank the card out of the reader, the files are sometimes not there when you place the card in the Treo.
    This was a fear of mine. I figured today in getting the Treo, I'd test out the music, but no, I have to wait for pocket-tunes to be sent to me. Then I figured I'd test it out, but pocket-tunes requires an SD card. So tomorrow I'm thinking I get an SD card, but then I know I'll get home and not have a way to quickly put data to it. So I guess I'm picking up another thing at another cost (i.e. stereo adapter) to listen to music.
    Interesting (and sad). That's the same experience with the Kyocera 7135, the only other Palm based SmartPhone that can play MP3s. It takes FOREVER to transfer songs. I did it once and never again. I bought a SanDisk Cruzer w/ 256 MB SD card and for me, that solved the problem.

ecost is still selling it. The current price is $79.00 before a $15.00 mail-in rebate. Not bad for $64.00. Here's a link for anyone who's interested.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=445222

Good luck.

Edit: The rebate is good until October 20th.
    USB synch of MP3s is slow but is quite usable if you dont do it too often. You dont have to buy the extra gadget but it sure helps.

Think of it this way - once you buy something like the Zio card reader and an SD card, you now have the equivalent of a thumbdrive too. You can happily move desktop files around from Mac to PC or PC to PC, carry a backup of your Treo, MP3s, pictures etc. It is a super-convenient mini-drive that fits in your pocket. It is well worth 20 bucks plus the price of a card.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    This was a fear of mine. I figured today in getting the Treo, I'd test out the music, but no, I have to wait for pocket-tunes to be sent to me. Then I figured I'd test it out, but pocket-tunes requires an SD card. So tomorrow I'm thinking I get an SD card, but then I know I'll get home and not have a way to quickly put data to it. So I guess I'm picking up another thing at another cost (i.e. stereo adapter) to listen to music.
    Strange... the Orange GSM comes with a 32MB SD card. Are Sprint not offering a card ?
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by nzmoko

Strange... the Orange GSM comes with a 32MB SD card. Are Sprint not offering a card ?
    No, Sprint does not include a SD card with the unit.
    Originally posted by selicade

No, Sprint does not include a SD card with the unit.
    That's weird. Mine came with a Handspring SD card but apparently it's 0 megs and is "non-functional". Shucks...
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson
    That's weird. Mine came with a Handspring SD card but apparently it's 0 megs and is "non-functional". Shucks...
    I like to call that plastic.
    One thing to beware of is that all SD cards are not created equal. I had a Palm Tungsten-T and synching to a Sandisk 256MB card was horrendously slow. After this card developed other problems also, I got a Lexar 256MB card and it synched at least 10x faster. After that I observed may other users complaining about problems with Sandisk SD cards on the T-T.

However, using an SD card mounted on your computer desktop will be much faster than hotsyncing.
    Originally posted by groisner
    I learned the hard way.

Took 20 minutes to sync a single 5mg song!

I am investigating into a SD Card reader - or perhaps using CardExport.

Any Advise?
    Took me 2 min to transfer an mp3 over Hotsync that was 5mb... I have no idea why it took you so long, but I guess its good news that its possible to transfer mp3s faster...
    Originally posted by SteveNYC
    I bought a SanDisk Cruzer w/ 256 MB SD card and for me, that solved the problem.

ecost is still selling it. The current price is $79.00 before a $15.00 mail-in rebate. Not bad for $64.00. Here's a link for anyone who's interested.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=445222

Good luck.

Edit: The rebate is good until October 20th.
    I bought one of these last month from buy.com while they had a sale and rebate as well (same final price).

I own a digital camera so I'd bought a 6 in 1 card reader that's USB 2.0 for $20 about 6 months ago. There are many brands out there and they are all pretty cheap.

I'm far too impatient to ever consider syncing large files.
    how do u exactly sync mp3 files with your t600?
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    I have a Zio card reader that works beautifully on Macs and PCs with no extra drivers to install. I highly recommend this brand. If you go for the cheaper ones like $10, you have to install a driver on your PC on some Windows versions. I like the portability of no drivers.
    Have you tested the speed difference in the reader and hotsync? which one is faster and by how much?
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    I have a Sprint Treo 600 and bought a 256 Lexar SD card and using a Mac on OSX, xfering a album's worth of mp3 takes under 15 minutes. Graned not LIGHTNING fast, but short of buying yet ANOTHER gizmo to cart around,.... it is usable.

If you are one to be uploading massive amounts of files daily then pehaps an alternate method is probably better, but for the casual user who wants to listen to an album or 2 we shouldn't give the impression that it is unacceptable. There honestly may be differences in speed depending on computer/OS/SD media etc but we complain about the price of the phone, then spend twice as much on cases, SD cards and cables! It is definetely not a replacement for my 20 GB ipod, but I appreciate being able to listen to some tunes on the go...yet my ipod cannot play the movie trailer I just uploaded onto my Treo 600!! (at least not yet)

Just another point of view......
    On the advise of someone here on this board, got a Lexar JumpDrive card reader ($18).

SanDisk 256 SD card @J&R $59 after $10 mail in rebate.

I only have USB 1.1 but very file transfer is quite fast. Not blinding, but faster than I anticipated...