Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like everyone else I was excited to see that Handspring was offering the T300 trade-in for the T600. So Friday morning I jumped on their website and plunked down $399 + Shipping for my new toy. Happy boy! Went and listed my T300 on ebay and sold it over the weekend for more than half of what I paid for the T600! Even happier boy!

Monday morning I check the status of my order and got what I expected... "Order Recieved." No problem. I thought I'd call anyway just to check and see if they might have an idea of when later this week I might get it so I can let my ebay customer know when he can expect his phone.

"Well sir, you should expect your phone to arrive Friday of next week."

"WHAT? How can you be that far out of stock?"

We're not out of stock, our shipping department wasn't prepared for the volume."

You have to be kidding me! So I asked him what happened to the 7 day shipping. His response: "That's business days, we take the weekends off."

Great business strategy Handspring. Take a impulse buy, push it out two weeks (not because you don't have it, but because you can't ship it), then give the customer time to read the posts about the shoddy products that are hitting the market!

Now I either have to tell my ebay customer he's out of luck on his phone this week, or I have to pony up for an el cheapo phone to tide me over while I wait (probably $50). I don't want to loose my $200 discount, or lose my precious spot in the queue... so they've got me over a barrel. Anyone else feel this way?

Flame over. (Rage subsiding)
    I asked them when I ordered last Thurs nite what kind of delay to expect. I thought they were very upfront on delivery timing. They said they had plenty of units but the slow down was due to the demand, CC processing, and shipment out of Utah (?). They said it'd be a about a week. I elected overnight delivery, so hopefully it'll ship this week and I'll get it the next day.
    I ordered mine early Thursday morning (about 8 a.m. CST) w/next day shipping. It's been sitting on "order received" ever since. I just called HS earlier today and they told me that it probably won't ship till the end of this week. The 7 day period is apparently just an estimate. It could be shorter or (GASP!) longer. I'm praying to have mine before the end of this week. I'm so frustrated and desperate that I'm thinking of going down to Sprint and picking one up right now - and just returning it when the unit from HS returns. Uggh
    I too ordered it last Friday, but my order now says "Approving Credit Card".

I am hoping to have mine shipped out on Wednesday with the next batch that is reportedly being sent out.

Only time can tell tho, a Friday treat would be very nice! Otherwise I'll have to wait until Monday night to pick it up from the Fed-Ex center.
    So, is there like only ONE GUY in the order fulfillment area or what?! C'mon HS, this is supposed to be the EASY part - you know, the part you can plan for and staff up for?! This is also supposed to be the GOOD part - you know, where you take our money in exchange for these devices?! You already did the hard part - designing, developing, and commercializing the phones.

Let's pick up the pace in time for the GSM launch, alright?

<pep talk over>
    What's sad is that some of those folks probably surf on the various Treo sites and they should have known that 50,000 of us fanatics will be ordering the moment they put the website up.

If this is how they handle a launch, how will they handle XMAS???
    Be afraid....be very afraid.

Dizzy
    Originally posted by Dizzy
    What's sad is that some of those folks probably surf on the various Treo sites and they should have known that 50,000 of us fanatics will be ordering the moment they put the website up.

If this is how they handle a launch, how will they handle XMAS???
    Be afraid....be very afraid.

Dizzy
    It doesn't seem like Handspring is on the up and swift. They don't operate on the weekends and probably should have just for this weekend, if not to improve sales flow. Like I said, "up and swift" doesn't seem to be in their forte.
    Handspring is a pretty small outfit.

They are also still losing money at a pretty good clip.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the marketing and distribution plan for the Treo 600 is based on partnering with major cellular carriers for advertising and fulfillment.

I would be surprised to learn that Handspring had staffed up to fulfill the trade up orders from existing customers... They probably didn't know how many Treo xxx customers would want the new model...

My bet is that to save money they hoped that 95% of the units would be shipped through carriers, not themselves.
    Originally posted by MadBrowser

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the marketing and distribution plan for the Treo 600 is based on partnering with major cellular carriers for advertising and fulfillment.

I would be surprised to learn that Handspring had staffed up to fulfill the trade up orders from existing customers... They probably didn't know how many Treo xxx customers would want the new model...

My bet is that to save money they hoped that 95% of the units would be shipped through carriers, not themselves.
    If they had even looked at this site once (and honestly you know they do) they should have forseen this, ESPECIALLY since they stated early they would offer a discount via their site to exsisting owners. It's a bit silly that they didn't expect to support their own launch of their own flagship product, then again they might not care considering they won't be HS for much longer. Sad state of affairs.
    Originally posted by MadBrowser

so they are losing money and their next course of action is discount the phone $200 (TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!) as a LOYALTY discount to their customers? not to gain new customers necessarily but just as a thank you? c'mon.

if they wanted that, they would not have offered the phones directly and sold them exclusively through Sprint (and same with other carriers when they are ready).
    Originally posted by Bereuter
    .. so they've got me over a barrel. Anyone else feel this way?

Flame over. (Rage subsiding)
    they have you over a barrel? they did not make any promises when the phone would ship when you ordered it. they also have a toll free number that you could have ordered through and found out the stock or shipping status then. you jumped the gun and sold your 300... don't blame HS.
    just checked the status for the 600 I ordered Thursday evening.. around 7 or 8 pm... since the last few hours the status has gone from order received to credit card approved. so supposedly that means the phone is getting packaged up and awaiting a tracking # before putting in the pile for fed-ex to get on their next pickup... which hopefully will be in the morning.
    Originally posted by rastoma
    [B]

so they are losing money and their next course of action is discount the phone $200 (TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!) as a LOYALTY discount to their customers? not to gain new customers necessarily but just as a thank you? c'mon.

if they wanted that, they would not have offered the phones directly and sold them exclusively through Sprint (and same with other carriers when they are ready).
    Net loss for the quarter that just ended was $13.9 million. I would say that a loss of $13.9 million when total quarter revenues were $13.1 million is a pretty good clip... They are correct that the early adopters are some of the most important customers. They tell others about the product, etc...

This is all just speculation since none of us work for HS... But I would be interested to see projections and estimations in regards to how many units they expect to ship themselves vs. carriers. Wouldn't you think that Sprint offered some kind of financial incentive to be the first carrier to offer the device and for some period of exclusivity?

What kind of ratio do you expect if you think mine is so far off?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have to admit that I want my Treo 600 IMMEDIATELY too, but I'm not really ticked off at Handspring.

The first question I asked myself: How many other technology vendors give a loyalty discount on new devices? None with whom I've done business before.

Second question: Was the expectation set at the time of order that there would be a delay that is not normal from the normal service level? Yes.

So, people can bag on Handspring all they want...but for my money, they've done right by most of those whom have ordered the Treo 600 at a significant discount.

Now...if I don't have it two weeks from now, my tune may be different!

Joel
  15.    #15  
    Don't know if it was that the shipping department became un-constipated, if it was the calls I made (doubt it), or if it was someone reading this board... but somehow my phone went from "order received" to "credit card approved."

Well, I eat my words and I hope everyone else sees the positive movement and gets their new T600 ASAP!

Oh... and to rastoma. Lighten up. You need to get some pleasure in your life aside from flaming people who post here. How about a hobby? Drink? Anything to make you a little more pleasant. Not an attack on you, just a suggestion for a more pleasant TreoCentral experience for us.
    > ...What's sad is that some of those folks probably surf on the
    > various Treo sites and they should have known that 50,000 of
    > us fanatics will be ordering the moment they put the website
    > up...

Last time I checked there is a thread about TREO 600 defects that contains a poll - a grand total of =31= people had responded to that poll.

Never ever forget - this is the "anonymous no strings attached Net" - what people type into a message board and what people actually end up doing aren't necessarily the same.

50,000 folks "screaming" "I gotta have one" might just translate into the reality of 50 folks actually buying.
    I posted this in another thread...It might also be appropriate here also....

Yes...the Treo600 is a wonderful new "toy". But please be alittle patient with HS. They probably didn't think that the 600 would do this well. Reading from another thread, the "failed" message was cause d by something internal at HS...and not necessarily an actual failed order. best thing is to call them.....but please show alittle mercy. This site (TreoCentral ) and the people that visit it are but a small portion of a much larger group that don't visit here ...but ordered the 600. I am sure that HS is doing the best they can. I know for one that a few Sprint stores in my area have run out of their stock are are awaiting their new shipment like many of you are. Yes...I got mine the day they became available at HS for 399. But having worked for another cell phone comany building actual phones, doing a rush job is not going to keep the quality high. Be patient....you will have your "toy". And when you do get it......it will be well worth the wait!!!!
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Originally posted by Clatu
    So, is there like only ONE GUY in the order fulfillment area or what?! C'mon HS, this is supposed to be the EASY part - you know, the part you can plan for and staff up for?! This is also supposed to be the GOOD part - you know, where you take our money in exchange for these devices?! You already did the hard part - designing, developing, and commercializing the phones.

Let's pick up the pace in time for the GSM launch, alright?

<pep talk over>
    Don't hold your breath!!

All of a sudden when you call CS and inquire about the GSM release date, they are saying 2 to 3 weeks instead of shortly.

And they claim to have no idea what you are talking about when you ask them the difference between the unlocked GSMs they said would be available "by the end of the month" and the ones that were to be available to early adopter for trade up "shortly".

I have a sense that we are gonna really get jerked around on this one kids.

And the slow slow slow down on order fulfillment for the 600 is EXACTLY what happened with the 270.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...What's sad is that some of those folks probably surf on the
    > various Treo sites and they should have known that 50,000 of
    > us fanatics will be ordering the moment they put the website
    > up...

Last time I checked there is a thread about TREO 600 defects that contains a poll - a grand total of =31= people had responded to that poll.

Never ever forget - this is the "anonymous no strings attached Net" - what people type into a message board and what people actually end up doing aren't necessarily the same.

50,000 folks "screaming" "I gotta have one" might just translate into the reality of 50 folks actually buying.
    I'm sure you will be proven dead wrong, as usual, once the initial sales figures come out. We're not surprised that you try to twist a quick sellout from the positive thing it is (success beyond expectations) to something negative (low availability). The future will show how absurd your speculation was. Your attempt to smear Handspring twice with the same brush by insinuating a >60% T600 defect rate (31 defects / 50 sold) is pathetic even for you.
    I ordered my T600 Thursday morning around 9am Central and I got my email this morning at 5am that it had been shipped and I will be receiving it by 3pm today so, my wife is not allowed to leave the house at all! I checked on Fedex and found out that it should be getting ready to be put on the truck for delivery. I can't wait. There is still hope for everyone who has ordered.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast