Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    All very good comments. I still think I will stick with tmobile. here in Central and west Fl it gets coverage just fine. And 6.5hrs versus 3.75 is a real plus.
    I have used both CDMA and GSM data. While the specs on the current CDMA implementation with Sprint are faster, T-Mobile GSM/GPRS has been much more consistant an just a tad faster then Sprint CDMA.

During my testing I used:

CDMA: Merlin C201 Data Card on Sprint's network for $80/month unlimited data

GSM/GPRS: T616 w/Bluetooth enabled connecting my Powerbook 17" laptop and their unlimited data plan for $19.99 a month.

Locations tested:
    San Francisco, CA
    Alexandria, VA
    Washington, DC.
    Westchester County, NY
    Denver, CO

Originally posted by muntaser7
    Plus sprint charges $15 and not $10 now, unless you got on the $10 deal a year ago.
    I know that CDMA is faster but the GSM for some odd reason feels faster!!!! Dont know why.
    Some time ago when the first Erricson BT headset came out I had T-Mobile in NY Metro and it was utterly unuseable. at the time they had the coolest/first phone/BT combo so I went for it but I would be in mid town manhattan and couldnt get a signal! I returned it after 3 days, switched to sprint and have never had a problem since.

things very may well have changed for the better since I used GSM but I think there are limitations int he technology that inhibit strong signal strength in cetain areas (ie densely packed cities, adn office buildings) that sprint just doesnt seem to have. and in an case Id trade faster data for batterlife any day! (and it is significantly faster, look at the specs)

jm2c

-B
    Specs and reality can be very different things...just look at the minimum requirements for Windows (any flavor)

Originally posted by iambobbydigital
    Some time ago when the first Erricson BT headset came out I had T-Mobile in NY Metro and it was utterly unuseable. at the time they had the coolest/first phone/BT combo so I went for it but I would be in mid town manhattan and couldnt get a signal! I returned it after 3 days, switched to sprint and have never had a problem since.

things very may well have changed for the better since I used GSM but I think there are limitations int he technology that inhibit strong signal strength in cetain areas (ie densely packed cities, adn office buildings) that sprint just doesnt seem to have. and in an case Id trade faster data for batterlife any day! (and it is significantly faster, look at the specs)

jm2c

-B
    I am new to Sprint and have had my Treo for ONE WEEK now. I use it daily with heavy data and moderate phone use. I have never run out of juice within the day. 500 min and unlimited data for $60 is a great deal. My T-mobile plan was better but I could not get any signal in my home area so I missed all calls there. My NXT receives signals in my area but is $90 a month for 300 min and unlimited e-mail.The battery barely lasts a day. The browser is basically useless even after installing 3rd party software so unlimired internet is insignificant. CS at sprint last week was not good since on Tuesday no one knew anything about the T600's release. I am staying with Sprint because this is the most complete phone and package that I have ever experienced.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    While the Sprint T6 definitely has a shorter battery life than the GSM versions, I've found the Sprint network to be much better across the U.S. in general than GSM, and I've tried both T-Mobile's & AT&Ts, and I travel pretty extensively. Better coverage for battery life seems like a fair trade to me.

Also, I've gotten about a 25% increase in battery life on my CDMA T6 by lowering the brightness to about 50%. I find that at 50%, it's still more than bright enough for me.
    Originally posted by mharpen
    I wonder though why there is a difference in battery life. Do CDMA radios put out more radiation?? Hope not.
    Yes, CDMA radios do put out more EMF during most calls. GSM makes better use of uplink power control on there phones. This is where the phone powers down to a lower level whenever you have a call up. As long as the quality is good, the phone can reduce the transmit power. So a majority of the time a GSM phone will transmit at a lower power than the CDMA. This is also why the Sprint Treo has the bump. Downlink power control is why on a GSM phone you may see 1 or 2 bars of signal when you have a call up, but when you hang up it will go back up to 4 bars. The tower is doing the same thing as the phone. Many people never notice because the phone is usually against their head when they are talking, but you can watch this happen with a hands-free kit. CDMA uses some power control, but due to the way a CDMA network operates, there is some inherent interference that requires the average power to be a good deal higher. Sprint and T-Mobile both operate in the PCS band, and have the same maximum power limitations that they can operate at, but the average for T-Mobiles Treo will be much lower, giving it the 70% more battery life that Forbes magazine and others have observed in there test.
    Tmobile in Los Angeles is awful. I've had it, my dad currently has it, and some of my friends have it. It's dropped call central. In Houston Tmobile is very good.

Other then Verizon, which is more expensive, I've had without a doubt the best voice experience with Sprint. I never get dropped calls, I have coverage in every city I'm in, I have data services in every city I'm in, and well they carry the Treo.

I travel to Los Angeles and New York a lot, and my experience with Tmobile (GSM) in those cities was so awful.
    Originally posted by willp2

While you will save with the data plan as opposed to TMobileís $20 for unlimited service, I think it probably makes sense to compare the whole bill, not just the data portion (unless you only use data).

With TMobile I have 3000 anytime minutes for $50 plus unlimited data for $20 more. So a total of about $70 per month for a ton of anytime voice and all the data I can eat. Granted at $50 per month the voice plan does not include roaming, but the local roaming and calling area for me is all of California and Nevada.

I use my phone a lot, mostly during the day and relatively close to home. It would cost me at least $125 a month to use a phone on Sprint the way I do on TMobile.
    That's for a regional plan. Sprint is national, you can't compare. I travel and I can't use regional plans. It's 99.99 for 2500 anytime minutes + 20 for data. That's $120 for that plan.

My plan is 2000 anytime minutes, unlimited data, two phones on the plan sharing the minutes. My bill is $100 /month. I got in about 6 months ago when Sprint had a better plan, now that plan is like $110.

Anyways, just thought I'd correct you.
    So there's like a whole $10 difference between the Sprint and T-Mo plans and you get 500 more minutes on T-Mo (2500 as opposed to 2000). So once you get up there, the plans are similar.

I've now travelled from coast to coast and had no trouble with my T-Mo in Los Angeles, NYC, or anywhere between. Canada? No problem. The UK? No problem. I still don't understand why anyone would chose Sprint. I like taking my phone with me when I leave the country!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BrianV

That's for a regional plan. Sprint is national, you can't compare. I travel and I can't use regional plans. It's 99.99 for 2500 anytime minutes + 20 for data. That's $120 for that plan.

My plan is 2000 anytime minutes, unlimited data, two phones on the plan sharing the minutes. My bill is $100 /month. I got in about 6 months ago when Sprint had a better plan, now that plan is like $110.

Anyways, just thought I'd correct you.
    Not that it matters, but I donít think my post needed correcting. I did mention that roaming was not included and the local area was California and Nevada.

If someone uses their phone like I do, a lot, mostly during the day and mostly in within a few hundred miles from home, TMobile has some very attractive options.

You are right that you canít compare the rate plans, because as far as I know Sprint doesnít offer regional plans and I think thatís unfortunate. For you and many others, having bundled roaming and nationwide long distance is essential.

But I know a bunch of people who get excited about having those bundled features, but they only leave their home area a couple times a year and are paying a small fortune for the extra features they donít really need or seldom use.

In many cases it is far cheaper to just pay the roaming fees and even long distance than to pay for the plans that include it for ďfreeĒ. I think that many users could benefit by looking for plans that offer services more like the way they actually use the phone. Why do you think companies offer the extras for free anyway? Because most people donít use them.

Again, I realize there are plenty of people who need and use the additional services. Iím just commenting on what I have observed among a great many people I know.

BTW - When I travel out of town for any length of time, I just switch plans to a national plan and switch back when I get back in town. No contract hassles, no problem.
    My 2 cents on why I'm staying with Sprint.

The call quality between CDMA, GSM, and when I call someone's home phone is strikingly different. Home phones and CDMA are crystal clear. Ever time I talk to a friend on a GSM carrier the call quality is just awful.

Now before someone says, it's for this or that reason. I have friends on T Mobile, Cingular, AT&T (GSM) and Nextel. I also have friends on Verizon, and CellOne. The Verizon and cell one calls are just as clear as sprint calls.

Again, just what I have seen...
    Originally posted by Alli
    So there's like a whole $10 difference between the Sprint and T-Mo plans and you get 500 more minutes on T-Mo (2500 as opposed to 2000). So once you get up there, the plans are similar.

I've now travelled from coast to coast and had no trouble with my T-Mo in Los Angeles, NYC, or anywhere between. Canada? No problem. The UK? No problem. I still don't understand why anyone would chose Sprint. I like taking my phone with me when I leave the country!
    I also have two phones on my account, Tmobile probably charges a 10-20 dollar fee for adding a line.
    1. They hav the 600 NOW! It is essential that I remain the uber-geek.
    2. People here have used being able to go out of the country and still use their phone. Then other T-mobile supporters have talked about better local plans. The bottom line is...I stay mostly in the states when I travel. I want a national plan. As far as going to U.K. or Europe? Last I time I was there I paid to "rent" a phone. It wasn't too exspensive and I thought it was a great deal. Then I realized something. I'm on vacation. Who the hell am I going to call?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by Alli

You have to factor everything in ... for example, I have 2000 AT minutes nationwide (no roaming), LD, AYCE Vision, VM, Conf Calling and all that other stuff for $85/mo. I checked T-Mo, and if I get their national plan, it comes with 1200 AT mins, Unlimited weekends and AYCE data for $130/mo.

It was a no brainer to stick with Sprint ... heck they let me keep my plan if I would re-up for 12 mos and gave me a 5% discount to boot.

Besides, coverage area in South Florida is great w/Sprint ... terrible with Cingular and guess who uses Cingular? Yep ... T-Mo.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Battery life aside. I have one question: When you talk to someone on a gsm/gprs network, why does it sound like they are in a wind tunnel?
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Yeah, that's great if I could get T-mobile at my house, which of course I can't, and unlimited data wasn't twice as much.

The battery life does suck though. It's not much better than the Treo 300.
    Last edited by slffl; 10/14/2003 at 05:33 PM.
    I think one thing we've learned from this thread (and others) is that peoples' experiences with carriers -- even within the same metro areas -- are very divergent.

I have used T-Mobile for about a year... living in San Francisco, but traveling to New York, Los Angeles, Bay area distant suburbs, and tiny villages within Europe (mostly Germany and Switzerland).

My call quality has been pretty consistently very good to excellent. I can probably count on two hands, max, the number of dropped calls I've experienced. Text messaging has been easy, fast, and reliable.

And with a couple of indeed very frustrating exceptions, T-Mobile customer care has been quite helpful and ALWAYS polite (which is more than my friends can say with their Sprint experience).

I'm on one of the legacy plans, and I sure can't complain. 1000 anytime minutes, free weekends, 50 free incoming text messages, plus free long distance and roaming for $39.95 a month.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12