Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do I need Sprint hardware insurance for the first year? Isnt the phone covered by Sprint\Manu in that first year anyway? What if I drop it, is it still covered?
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    If I'm not mistaken, the manufacturers warranty covers defects in the phone. It doesn't cover if you drop it or smash it, that is where the Sprint insurance comes in.
    I inquired about it at the local Sprint store and they said,

1.) If its stolen, just need police report #.

2.) If you drop it (or any damage by you) it is covered

Thats a great deal for $4/month...
    If I'm not mistaken, the manufacturers warranty covers defects in the phone. It doesn't cover if you drop it or smash it, that is where the Sprint insurance comes in.
    I thought the $4 covered even loss for up to 2 units per year. If so it would be a good investment. The 2 biggest problems with PDA's is drop and forget. A holster is the best solution for those, but insurance would be great. Can someone confirm the $4 covers unintentional loss? I guess if someone tried to register it, they would know it.
    Yeah, loss and theft are covered as well. The Bes Buy like warranties do not cover that. In my opinion, the $48 / year Sprint deal is worth it. I'm an advocate of self-insurance, but this is one area where I think it's worth it. It's $4 for any phone, and carrying around a $600 phone means that if your phone gets stolen basically once in 10 years, then it has covered itself (or if it dies after 1 yr).
    PCS Equipment Replacement Program

Imagine your PCS Phone gets lost, stolen, damaged, or has a technical problem after the Sprint warranty has expired. To help you get reconnected as quickly as possible, Sprint offers the PCS Equipment Replacement Program underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA company and administered through lock\line, LLC, that makes replacing your PCS Phone or Device easy.
    This program covers your PCS Phone or Device, standard battery, and standard charger. Coverage includes up to two replacements in a 12-month period with a $35 non-refundable deductible per approved replacement request. For full terms & conditions, call lock\line at 1-800-584-3666 or go to lockline.com.
    This program costs $4 per month for each PCS Phone Number. You may enroll through Sprint at activation for immediate coverage. To add the PCS Equipment Replacement Program to your PCS Phone Number after activation, call lock\line at 1-800-584-3666.
    Applies only to the primary phone on a PCS Add-a-PhoneSM account. However, this service can be added to other phones for a per PCS Phone monthly premium after your service starts. To add the PCS Equipment Replacement Program to your account after activation, call lock\line at 1-800-584-3666.

Lock\line
    what's weird is that the insurance plan is not avaialble for me to add to my plan...at least according to my account online. I went in to "my plan" and it lists all the options you can add. It shows the insurance option and that it costs $4/month, but there is no "add" link like there are on all the other options. Any idea why? Also, and this may be related, under "my phone" on the main account page, it used to show a photo of my 300. Ever since I transferred to the 600, there is nothing listed under my phone. Is this the same for everyone else?
  9. purpleY
    Originally posted by mo-bile
    what's weird is that the insurance plan is not avaialble for me to add to my plan...at least according to my account online. I went in to "my plan" and it lists all the options you can add. It shows the insurance option and that it costs $4/month, but there is no "add" link like there are on all the other options. Any idea why? Also, and this may be related, under "my phone" on the main account page, it used to show a photo of my 300. Ever since I transferred to the 600, there is nothing listed under my phone. Is this the same for everyone else?
    hi mo-b

I looked at my plans and there is no add option either, it says that if you want to sign up after notification you have to call the third party insurance provider yourself. I guess when you activate they just do the work for you. go to their website and sign up www.lockline.com looks pretty easy. I think I am going to do it, already dropped mine and scratched some of the keys, yuck
    I dont have "ADD" for any of my available options(pcs-2-pcs calling), and i've always had the insurance, only used it once.

does anyone know if there is a LIMIT of coverage? I heard something like "up to $300" worth of fone.
    Without the ERP on your plan from Sprint, there is no way to get the Treo 600 repaired. Sprint do not do individual repairs for phones where it is out of the warranty. This is the same for all their phones. You cannot call the manufacturer for a repair as they OEM the phones from the manufacturer.

My opinion is that it is vital to get this equipment insurance or you will pay the full price again should your dog eat it or you run the car over it. It's just good risk management to pay $48/yr for this peace of mind.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 10/14/2003 at 12:20 AM.
    don't leave home without it!!!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Are there any similar options for the T-Mobile T600?

If not, the option to insure your Treo against theft, loss, or breakage for $4/mo is a pretty compelling advantage in Sprint's favor.
    it's not on the website for you to ADD, because you have to call it in...just hit *2 and tell them that you want to add it.
    A grande mocha at Starbucks in Midtown Manhattan costs $4.13.

I agree. For a $600+ phone, $4 per month seems very reasonable.
    I agree - when my wife dropped her 300 in a puddle and it got water logged. She had it exchanged under this program for a new 300, no problems and no questions. Well worth it.
    Originally posted by CharFeld
    Are there any similar options for the T-Mobile T600?

If not, the option to insure your Treo against theft, loss, or breakage for $4/mo is a pretty compelling advantage in Sprint's favor.
    It is the same price and conditions as Sprints deal. $4 dollars/month up to 2 a year.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Originally posted by HumP

It is the same price and conditions as Sprints deal. $4 dollars/month up to 2 a year.
    HumP - I could not find any reference to this option anywhere on Tmobile's web site. Can you confirm that a warranty/replacement plan is still being offered by TMobile?
    Originally posted by CharFeld

HumP - I could not find any reference to this option anywhere on Tmobile's web site. Can you confirm that a warranty/replacement plan is still being offered by TMobile?
    I have on 8 of my phones right now. And will be getting it on my 27 T600s when they are released. I just spoke to my "contact" regarding it last week or so.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I might sound cheap, but I won't get the insurance for the first month. I think the first month is really important to just use the fone and find out whether it has the coverage/service that you need. If you are not getting signal in your home/office or place that you spent most of your day at, then its time to return it (maybe defective antenna, but leads to same conclusion). Also, it's a psychological factor that most ppl treat something that they spent $500+ on like their own flesh and blood for the 1st month, so the chance of dropping/misplacing is rare (doesn't mean it couldn't happen, that's why you hear jokes about ppl being dropped as a child). But even if that's the case, you can argue that it arrived like that. This is just my opinion. I guess I am cheap. But maybe I am just spoiled by T-Mobile having replace 3 Sidekicks free of charge.

Cost so far
    $50 for 700 min plan
    $15 for vision plan
    $4 for insurance
    $11+ taxes (NYC, cost of living is high here)
    ---------------
    $80+ per month

That's pretty much how much I paid for 2 GSM fone (ATT & TMO), and yet I hardly get the service that I need (weak signal at home). Sprint better not let me down. I am definitely getting the fone this week as it's official arrived in the stores.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast