1.    #1  
    Hello all,

The new Treo 600 caught my eye, and that brought me to this helpful forum. Thanks to everyone for providing so much great info. It cemented the idea that I really want to get a Treo 600.

That said, I've read a bunch of different post about contracts and providers and such, but I'm confused about what's the best (and cheapest) way to get my phone. My deal is that I have an existing account with SprintPCS, but the contract is expired, I'm just paying month to month. Ideally, I'd also like to keep my existing number. Here's what I was thinking:

1) Buy the phone from TreoCentral and get the $50 new activation rebate.
    2) Sign up as a new number activation with Sprint and take the $100 1 year contract discount.
    3) Wait a few days and swap phone numbers with my existing phone.
    4) Wait a few more days and cancel that phone number/activation so I'm left with the old number on the new phone.
    5) Enjoy.

Would that work? I'm guessing I might pay for some of the overlap, if it's even possible.

I guess my other alternative is to wait for the GSM version to come out and the new phone number switching rules to come into effect. I'd rather not wait, and I don't mind Sprint, but I can't really afford the extra $100-$150 either!

Thanks in advance.
    Ask a previous Treo owner (who won't upgrade to 600) for serial number.
    Buy $399 Treo 600 from Handspring - serial number required.
    Call Sprint to swap new Treo for old phone while demanding retention department to give you $200 credit for phone, and $150 credit for 2 year contract, and 8:00 N & W, and $10 dollar unlimited Vision, and free PCS to PCS calling.
    Net $50, unless you have to buy someone's serial number.

Worked for my wife last year (different phones of course)
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    Ask a previous Treo owner (who won't upgrade to 600) for serial number.
    Buy $399 Treo 600 from Handspring - serial number required.
    Call Sprint to swap new Treo for old phone while demanding retention department to give you $200 credit for phone, and $150 credit for 2 year contract, and 8:00 N & W, and $10 dollar unlimited Vision, and free PCS to PCS calling.
    Net $50, unless you have to buy someone's serial number.

Worked for my wife last year (different phones of course)
    Wow, that's impressive, thanks for the info. How did she get the $200 credit for the phone? I thought that's what the $150 contract discount was for. Sorry if that's a newb question, I've never dealt with a retention dept. before.

Yeah, I getting someone to sell me a serial number. Seems a relatively safe risk/return.
    Originally posted by IanL

Wow, that's impressive, thanks for the info. How did she get the $200 credit for the phone? I thought that's what the $150 contract discount was for. Sorry if that's a newb question, I've never dealt with a retention dept. before.

Yeah, I getting someone to sell me a serial number. Seems a relatively safe risk/return.
    Good luck with your list of "demands." I used my own Treo to get HS rebate, and called and spoke to 4 CSR's and 2 supervisors at Sprint over the weekend and:
    1. Not a soul would give me a rebate since I didn't buy the phone from Sprint (seems Sprint subsidized the HS rebate)
    2. Very stingy with 1 year contract rebates. Could only get 5% off my bill unless I wanted to agree to 2-year contract.
    3. Very stingy with add a line--kept my old Treo and gave to wife. Would only waive activation fees.
    4. Forgot to remind them about 8pm N&W--I think they'll give you that.
    5. Begged for free PCS to PCS (esp. since we now have 2 phones on same account) and they would not budge.

Someone at Sprint's been rousin' the troops not to deal off the printed guidelines!
    You may be right. I haven't tried this at present. But it is true that the main purpose of the Retention department is to keep customers that have good standing and credit (usually over three continuous years). You first emphasize to the retention rep that you want to extend your contract and you are planning to upgrade your phone (don't specify the Treo 600). Then ask for the world. Last year they gave my wife the $200 credit before she even bought a phone which she found at Costco (discounted), plus all the other extras. I'll let you know what I end up with when I get my Treo 600.
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    You may be right. I haven't tried this at present. But it is true that the main purpose of the Retention department is to keep customers that have good standing and credit (usually over three continuous years). You first emphasize to the retention rep that you want to extend your contract and you are planning to upgrade your phone (don't specify the Treo 600). Then ask for the world. Last year they gave my wife the $200 credit before she even bought a phone which she found at Costco (discounted), plus all the other extras. I'll let you know what I end up with when I get my Treo 600.
    The tricky part was I needed to activate 2 new phones pretty quickly, and they would not hold any deals from one call to the next. Still, you may be right re: getting better deal if they didn't know I already had the Treos. They kept trying to sell me a phone in order to offer the rebate--I should have told them I wanted to negotiate contract first. But then, I wanted activation fees waived for 2 new phone and for ESN swap (and I had just gotten a replacement for defective T300 at 13 months, no longer under warranty). I got $72 saved from waiving activation fees, 5% off monthly bills (whatever that adds up to--probably just $5/mo since much of the bill is taxes and surcharges), and managed to evade the 2-year agreement which they were pushing very hard (as you'll soon find out! ;-)
    Good luck! And Lemme know what your wrangle out of'em!
  7.    #7  
    OK, I ordered my phone from HS, though it probably won't get here for awhile with the backlog.

I do have an account in good standing, over two years now, probably three, off contract. So, reading this thread and the one about the activation fees, the current thinking is that I should:

- Call up Sprint and NOT tell them I bought the phone yet.
    - Pretend like I'm about to get it from the local store and want to set up my account first? (don't know how that works).
    - Ask to do the Add-a-phone.
    - Get them to give me the rebate if I up for another year.
    - Swap the numbers when I get the new account.
    - Cancel the 2nd phone in 30 days.

Does that seem the best? I'm not sure I get how you set up the account for a phone you haven't bought yet (supposedly). I guess I could tell them that I wanted to find out the costs first before I went into the store to buy it. I guess I can also always threaten to ebay the phone and switch to T-mobile.

Sorry for being so particular, I've never done this before, and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks
    you say you're shopping other carriers. If they are not going to make it worth your while (credit for a new phone, etc.) to stay with them, then you threaten to close your account(s). If you tell them you already have a new phone, they know you can't go anywhere else unless you return the phone you already have your heart set on. Of course they would want you to sign a new contract to keep your business especially when WLNP is around the corner. If unsuccessful, say you'll think about it and try again later hopefully with a different rep. I ordered my 600 today through HS and I have three separate accounts with Sprint (not add a phones) all long term and contracts have expired. I think I have some leverage with these retention reps.
  9.    #9  
    Cool. Thanks for the tips. I had forgotten about the number portability thing coming up. That's pretty good thing to keep in your back pocket!
    I also want a DEAL FROM spcs when my Treo arrives. I will also use the "I'm shopping around tactic". I've been with SPCS for about 3 years now. What is the retention phone #?