1.    #1  
    I've had my Treo 600 now for almost a week now. As a personal and business user, I RELY on the vibrate feature of any phone that I buy. It's just unacceptable to have my phone ring during a meeting, when talking to an employee or pretty much any other time when I am at work. So when I first got the Treo 600, I tested out the vibrate feature and realized that it wasn't very strong. But I figured I would live with it and make due.

Fast forward to today when my Handspring side case arrives via Fedex. This is going to be an interim case until a proper holster comes out from Seido or whoever. So I put the case on and place the phone in the holster. I call myself from my work number. I can't feel a darn thing! The vibrate is so weak that unless I am standing still, I can't feel it! Ok, so I can feel it a little bit when walking , but that's only because I know I'm calling myself.

Any solutions here? Maybe a case that doesn't absorb all of the vibration from the phone? Suggestions? This stupid case is padded for a mile and makes the phone much bulkier. Give me a good holster any day of the week. I never could understand why anyone would want to put their phone in a leather case. You have a beautifully crafted phone that's as compact as it possibly can be and then you put it in a big bulky case.
    Yes, I agree 100%..it not strong... I bought the form fitted case from HS and could hardly feel the vibration... I bought the Belkin Universal Medium case at Walmart today for $ 7.67. I think it is better. Hope this helps.
    Maybe there should be a "cattle prod" option. Add a nice big capacitor and then ZAP!

yikes!

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The way we’re all gushing over this thing, perhaps HS expected most of them to be carried around inside underwear. So they de-powered the vibrate alert as to not cause too many more embarrassing situations.
    I 2nd, 3rd or whatever the sentiment on the vibrate... It's very very weak. I'm hoping with the belt holster it will be able to be felt.. Let's hope..

If anyone has any kind of solution it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Josh
    Originally posted by TripleNickle
    Yes, I agree 100%..it not strong... I bought the form fitted case from HS and could hardly feel the vibration... I bought the Belkin Universal Medium case at Walmart today for $ 7.67. I think it is better. Hope this helps.
    With the fitted case, is it in your pocket, or clipped on the belt? I haven't got mine yet, bit I was going to get the fitted HS case, so I'm curious. Do you notice the vibrate inside a pant's pocket (with or without) the fitted case?

Thanks.
    I used the fitted case with the belt clip. I dont place my PDAs ina pants pocket. If I used any pocket, it would be an inside jacket pocket. The 600 "sits away" from your side on the clip and little vibration transmits to the person, so to speak but this Belkin is better.
    I love my 600...my #1 and only complaint is the vibrate strength. I thought my 300 vibrate mode was TOO strong. Boy to have that strength back again!
    Maybe someone will come up with a way to mod the vibration system.. That would be great..

Josh
    No, you can't feel the vibrate mode in your pants pocket unless you press the phone against your leg.

You can feel it in a shirt pocket, but not in a coat pocket.

I doubt it would be very strong in holster. Maybe if you're in a quiet meeting room, but not if you're at a bar with other distractions.
  11.    #11  
    My experience has been that holsters tend to transfer the vibrations better. I've been using a holster since my first Startac in 1998. I tried a leather case; once!
    Originally posted by sbpooch
    My experience has been that holsters tend to transfer the vibrations better. I've been using a holster since my first Startac in 1998. I tried a leather case; once!
    I can see that. A plastic holster would amplify sound vs. a leather holster which would absorb sound.
    Originally posted by Chu Zoo
    No, you can't feel the vibrate mode in your pants pocket unless you press the phone against your leg.

You can feel it in a shirt pocket, but not in a coat pocket.

I doubt it would be very strong in holster. Maybe if you're in a quiet meeting room, but not if you're at a bar with other distractions.
    Wow, that's a bummer. I use my current phone on vibrate most of the time.

Oh well, I guess it's a small price to pay for all the other goodness.

It's just weird how they could overlook something like that. It would seem obvious that if you were going to include a vibrate mode it would be at a useful level... <shrug>
    Let's hope this is not a hardware limitation - maybe a software hack could crank it up a bit
    Originally posted by CyrilW
    Let's hope this is not a hardware limitation - maybe a software hack could crank it up a bit
    Absolutely not. The reason the vibrate mode is so weak is probably because the electric motor they are using is undersized for this phone and it's spinning at too high an RPM (a voltage issue that cannot be resolved with tweaking software). I can tell by the way that the phone vibrates that the weight used is very small. The way that the vibrate works is that a small lead weight is attached to a very small electric motor. The weight is heavier on one side so when the shaft spins, the weight kind of wobbles. This wobbling is what causes the vibration. If they used a larger weight, offset it a little more and slowed down the motor speed a tad, the vibration would be much more pronounced.
    Shame... I guess the motor is under-sized as the need to reduce the overrall size was their design priority.

I guess I will look for a plastic case/clip that amplifies the vibration.