1.    #1  
    I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the new Sprint Treo 600 works in the Washington DC Metro system -- the Treo 300 did not, as it was a single-band phone. Thanks in advance.
    I'll know tomorrow AM (Tuesday) and will report back.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    I'm thinking no, because the subway uses AMPS, but I did hear that Verizon upgraded it to digital 800 so I'm not sure.

I'll have my Treo 600 in a week, I'd be interested to hear what you find out.
    The treo 300 works fine on the DC sprint network. I have been using it for 7 months. The treo 600 should work just fine. I am not sure who told you that the 300 didn't work here but they were wrong. I even got my 300 from the Sprint store at 18th and m NW. My 600 arrives by thursday
    Are you talking in the underground parts of the subway?

How is that possible, the Treo 300 was only single band 1900mhz, Verizon's network down there is 800mhz.

I would assume if it does work, your charged roaming correct?
    Originally posted by lizdc
    The treo 300 works fine on the DC sprint network. I have been using it for 7 months. The treo 600 should work just fine. I am not sure who told you that the 300 didn't work here but they were wrong. I even got my 300 from the Sprint store at 18th and m NW. My 600 arrives by thursday
    The question, as I understand it, is whether or not the T600 (which can do digital roaming on 800mhz CDMA networks) would work on the Metro...not if it works in the DC Metro area.

Unless someone beats me to it I'll provide the answer after my morning commute to work on the subway.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    I'd be interested as well (how I miss my hometown......) With my current Sprint phone I believe it said "Digital Roam" and not "Analog Roam" last I was home.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    That is correct. VZ does have 800mhz CDMA (at least on the Orange line) and my Treo dropped into Digital Roam upon my descent into the bowels of the Foggy Bottom station.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Originally posted by Gregg
    That is correct. VZ does have 800mhz CDMA (at least on the Orange line) and my Treo dropped into Digital Roam upon my descent into the bowels of the Foggy Bottom station.
    Nice! Question: where does it say "digital roam" on the Treo when roaming? In place of where it says "Sprint" in the upper left?
    Well Foggy bottom is where I live, so its good to know I'll have service in the metro there
    I've tried to use it on the metro and I never got a signal underground. The only time it worked was when I was above ground riding the metro.
    Verizon some how got an exclusive to be the ONLY carrier to have access to the Metro.

Therefore, all of DC is now held hostage by Verizon's crazy roaming charges they charge everyone with, off network.

If the Treo 600 is single band, then No, it won't work. Verizon's roaming worked only w/ analog roam or digital roam, which my present Sanyo 4900 has. Verizon's scam is that they have such a strong presence near each Metro station that UNLESS you phone is set on Spring PCS ONLY, your phone will be hijacked by the Verizon Roaming signal when near Metro's. And you won't know it unless u happen to look at the screen OR you look at your bill. That's why my phone is always set on PCS only.

On another note....why do you need to answer your phone on the Metro? Folks usually get plenty of stares when they talk on te phone on the Metro. LOL. I guess that's another thread

Mine is "awaiting shipment" so hopefully I'll get it by the end of this week.

Dizzy
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Dizzy
    Verizon some how got an exclusive to be the ONLY carrier to have access to the Metro.
    They used to be exclusive, but other carriers now work there too. My friend has ATT and they have access in the Metro (I've used their phone in the Metro... not sure if it was a TDMA or GSM phone). Either way, I believe other carriers have built cells in the Metro too. Also, Sprint could easily have an agreement with Verizon to use their cells if they wanted to.

Rich
    Ahh...thanks for the update on the exclusivity thing.

Dizzy
    The Verizon exclusivity thing will be finished by Q1 of 2004. It's likely, although no one will definitively confirm, that other carriers will set up transmitters in downtown stations. By coincindence (probably not), Feds with mobile phones are almost entirely on Verizon which explains the current situation.

As of now, the 600 does not work in the Metro system (at least not the downtown underground stations).
    Originally posted by Billyc
    As of now, the 600 does not work in the Metro system (at least not the downtown underground stations).
    If you read above, you will see that it has been confirmed (by me) that the Sprint T600 does roam on VZ's underground CDMA 800 network.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    I read somewhere that Verizon only had 2 hrs/day to setup transmitters, which was why it took some time to get it initially setup, then converted to digital.
    Actually, I don't think Verizon has exclusivity. It is very likely that ATT has coverage in the Metro now. The Telecommunications Act of 1996 ruled that it was illegal to allow one carrier and not any other to cover the same area. Now I believe Verizon got around it with AMPS, when every analog carrier had to allow roaming to the others, that effectively was giving access to all carriers. With the current all digital PCS carriers like T-Mobile, or with ATT and Cingular GSM, someone probably was able to install there own system.