1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 300. While it is not perfect (nothing is), I am not convinced to spend another $400 when I already purchased the Treo 300, along with all its inherent problems, for $400 less than a year ago. Handspring should be offering a MUCH better deal (i.e. $200 or more off) of this puppy to us Treo 300 owners to show their appreciation for us not abandoning them completely.

Of course, I usually LOVE to have the latest and greatest, so I trotted off to my Sprint PCS store so I could hold this little beauty and experience it first hand.

The "net-net" is that I decided not to spend the money, especially since within 6 months there will be much better and cheaper deals as there usually are. Frankly I'm tired of giving away my hard earned cash to companies so that they can test their new products at my expense.

The Treo 600 is a BEAUTIFUL unit. Everything I wish the Treo 300 could have been; however, I am not moved to purchase one now. Frankly, the lack of innovation in the OS makes the PocketPC more and more attractive. Here are some of my observations, both good and bad, about the Treo 600:

1) Forgetting the new "form factor", there is not much functional difference in the operating system. The datebook and address book are still in their archaic, not fully Outlook-compatible architecture. By now with Palm 5.0, I would have expected these applications to be expanded to include extra Outlook information such as location, more sophisticated multi-day scheduling, and extra Outlook contact fields. Boo! It should be obvious that applications from Chapura and DataViz are taking off for this reason; however, they are only a half-assed solution since they mitigate your using the functionality that is tied to the built in applications.

2) Buttons have NO TACTILE FEEDBACK. I love the keyboard layout, but it is a bear to know for sure if you have "struck" a key or not. No definitive click underneath like with the Treo 300. Bad for touchtypists who aren't watching what is displayed on the screen with every keystroke.

3) No replacable battery. Haven't we all learned from this with the Treo 300? Also, they are already marketing an add-on battery. Not a good sign.

4) We all jumped on the Treo bandwagon only to suffer with problems with the radio, OS and battery life. I'm not in the mood to pay my money to debug yet another product for which I derive no benefit except to hopefully have to spend yet another $400 dollars on the next major rev.

5) While some may hate flip phones, I happen to like them. Not just because the flip protects the screen, but because the flip keeps the radio waves away from your head and frying your brain. It is interesting that this design was abandoned when all the popular new best selling phone designs from Samsung, Sanyo, LG and others are flips!

6) Low resolution screen equals tough to read browser pages. While the new Blazer 3.0 browser is killer, the font used for the text is small and I could not find an option to increase it. At 320x320 the small font would be readable, but Handspring has chosen to keep the same low resolution 160x160 used on the present Treo 300, although the screen brightness is killer. For those of us using reading glasses, this is awful. Boo again. This unit should have a higher resolution screen.

7) The charging and sync cords are compatable, so you won't have to purchase all new peripherals.

8) The desktop charger/dock is different for this new form factor. You will need to buy the new one. (Not yet available).

9) Handspring is selling a higher-performance earbud/microphone than the one in the box, telling you already that the one in the box doesn't cut it.

10) The crashes I have had on my Treo 300 give me pause for the entire Palm/telephony convergence platform at this time, considering my PocketPC iPAQ needed a restart a lot less. I restart my Palm at least twice a day and I have NO hacks. I am guessing that this has to do with the Handspring extensions to support the phone and not the Palm OS itself. This still does not give me great confidence.

I'll let y'all beat this platform to death and see how it shakes out. Maybe I'll get one at the firesale next year for less than $200. At least I will have gotten one more year of use out of my Treo 300. I'll just keep charging and resetting often.

Of course, with the replacement insurance, once the Treo 300's are gone, they will have to replace it with a Treo 600. Hmmm.....

Or maybe some company will finally wake up and develop a usable PocketPC unit that isn't the size of a brick like the Hitachi. One can hope...

Cheers,
    Rob
    Many of your observations are pretty much correct ... Although I think that you may be overstating the "flakiness" of these units. My T600 has been rock-solid in every way, hardware, software, you name it. I love it.

Is it worth $400 more? I dunno, probably not, in terms of strict dollar value. It is a lot nicer, though. There is no phone/PDA combo (either converged or separate devices) that I'd rather have, either on the market now or reportedly coming soon.

Handspring should be offering a MUCH better deal (i.e. $200 or more off) of this puppy to us Treo 300 owners to show their appreciation for us not abandoning them completely.
    That $400 price (technically $399) actually includes the $200 off upgrade. The T600 retails for $599.