1.    #1  
    Still holding out but a friend gave me an unlocked Orange 600 to 'play with'.

No seamless integration with Swisscom for the network setup but just copied my GPRS settings from my 270 and up and running.

Also have an Orange SIM so tried that. No probs. Lots of Orange specific software. The over-air Orange backup works well. albeit, you can only backup your standard Palm apps (Contacts, ToDo etc) but still good if you are abroad and need to restore.

Blazer works great. Fast and the 'D' pad gives great control over cursor/field placement. I opted not to download images and the speed put my home PC modem to shame (if you opt not to download images, you still have the option to select any potential image to view after the page has downloaded)
    The bundled Email client is not as good as SnapperMail. I only require POP3 so I am using SnapperMail.

The feature which most impresses me is the 'D' pad. It reminds me of PowerJog but the implementation is superb. It is really a one handed device now. Saying this, there are some compatibility issues with third party apps.

Camera sucks - but does have novelty value. If you can take a good shot, you can have it as your wallpaper. Grainy shots were all that I could muster but these could be deemed artistic

Chat SMS is great... I am a heavy SMS user so this is welcome news. The send to group option is good too.

PTunes MP3 player is very good. Currently, I have a 128MB SD card in (the unit came with a 32MB card). Have a host of MP3's. Sound is from the rear speaker or headphones (requires stereo adapter). On a table the sound is ok - I played with the onboard graphic equaliser to boost the bass.

Sound library is extensive... drove my wife mad playing with them all. Speaker volume is fine and phone ring/alerts are loud and crisp.

General speed and graphics rendering is impressive. HotSync via USB is blindingly fast and with serial cable, there is also a vast speed improvement.

Roaming was an issue. In France, I struggled to lock on to a network (with both SIMs - Orange and Swisscom). When I arrived back in Switzerland, I had to power off/on the radio to get Swisscom network... hmmm...

I'm still really struggling with the keyboard. I have big hands and the buttons are just too close together. I will give it time.

Unlike the T270, I would not want to drop a 600 - it is heavy and I expect it would break... I'm not gonna try it.

All in all, a well packaged device.
    www.gsmworld.com
    > ...I'm still really struggling with the keyboard. I have big hands
    > and the buttons are just too close together. I will give it time...

Gee.

I wonder if a potential customer who just walked into a phone store and is seeing that QWERTY (or AZERTY (?)) keyboard for the first time might instead say something like - you know - "Ewwww".
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/13/2003 at 06:19 AM.
    Hi,

could you please hint how to get unlocked Orange Treo 600?

Thanx
    Originally posted by nzmoko
    ... All in all, a well packaged device.
    Thanks for the good review, We're still waiting for the GSMs in the States. Delayed here. Any news about why the European GSM "recall?"
    Any news about why the European GSM "recall?"
    Orange's branded Treo handsets were "recalled" to their Banbury warehouse as the IMEI numbers on the boxes did not match with the sim cards supplied in the box. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $only$ $affected$ $the$ $UK$ $and$ $not$ $the$ $whole$ $of$ $Europe$?

BTW, The GSM version arrived accross the UK today. Cheapest place to buy is www.mobileshop.com who have a truck load in stock and ready to go with prices starting from free.

US owners waiting for unbranded GSM handsets may find that the US branch of Expansys will probably source stock from their UK & French warehouses within the next 14 days.
    Originally posted by omar_g

Orange's branded Treo handsets were "recalled" to their Banbury warehouse as the IMEI numbers on the boxes did not match with the sim cards supplied in the box. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $only$ $affected$ $the$ $UK$ $and$ $not$ $the$ $whole$ $of$ $Europe$?

BTW, The GSM version arrived accross the UK today. Cheapest place to buy is www.mobileshop.com who have a truck load in stock and ready to go with prices starting from free.

US owners waiting for unbranded GSM handsets may find that the US branch of Expansys will probably source stock from their UK & French warehouses within the next 14 days.
    Thanks for that clarification.

Any idea if HS will honor their standard warranty for units purchased through Expansys here in the States?
    No idea, sorry.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Vorozhbyt
    Hi,

could you please hint how to get unlocked Orange Treo 600?

Thanx
    At the moment, it is not possible to unlock an Orange T600 but I did speak to one of their PRPRPR $people$ $and$ $this$ $is$ $what$ $he$ $had$ $to$ $say$:
    We beg you to understand that Orange can not unlock their own devices otherwise it would not make a lot of sense to develop a common device and co-operate with a device provider. But as a business customer you have always the possibility to ask our buisness team for special conditions.

I got an unlocked unit from 'a friend' who works for Orange... but mine is only a loaner so it will 'eventually' be returned (he may just get my cardboard cutout version).
    www.gsmworld.com
    (he may just get my cardboard cutout version).

Orange UK can unlock the Treo 600 already but they'll ask for 12 months line rental paid up front.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I have a "pay as you go" phone from Orange. I use it when my wife and I go to UK(4x per yer). I emailed Orange with a request to get a Unlocked T600 so I could use it both in the US and UK and this was their response.

Thank you for your mail.

I can confirm that Orange does not supply unlocked phones.

I hope this information clarifies the matter.

Kind regards

Karen
    Orange Customer Services

Hopefully I can work around this when I am there this Christmas.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Originally posted by elysian9

Thanks for that clarification.

Any idea if HS will honor their standard warranty for units purchased through Expansys here in the States?
    why not?
    Originally posted by treo600mad

why not?
    Possibly because these particular units are "imported European" GSMs? It probably doesn't matter. If Expansys is offering them at more or less the same time as HS, it still makes more sense to buy them from HS.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...I'm still really struggling with the keyboard. I have big hands
    > and the buttons are just too close together. I will give it time...

Gee.

I wonder if a potential customer who just walked into a phone store and is seeing that QWERTY (or AZERTY (?)) keyboard for the first time might instead say something like - you know - "Ewwww".
    It seems you have made this same comment in your last 50 posts. Enough is enough ... do we really have to read again and again? Boring, and boring people get ignored.

Give us some of your input over the recent HS conference call if you want ... your comments there are pretty astute and to the point ...
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I have a "pay as you go" phone from Orange. I use it when my wife and I go to UK(4x per yer). I emailed Orange with a request to get a Unlocked T600 ... [snip].

Orange don't currently offer the Treo 600 on pre-pay and are highly unlikely to given the cost of the device and its niche target market. It is designed to drive ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) firgures from data usage, something pre-pay customers do not have access to, thus subsidising the handset for them would be pretty pointless. Your best bet is to buy a second hand Treo 600 on ebay when you next come over to the Uk, they *should* be cheaper than in the US given that they are free for new Orange customers, or buy an unlocked GSM Treo from your current location.#

Hope that helps.
    Hi, nzmoko!

Thanx for the answer. Alas, I'm not an Orange subscirber and so far has no chance to become one of them and get the Treo :-( Will keep on waiting for unlocked offer from HS, hope it is on the way.