Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone have any idea if and when I can order the T600 directly from HS, will they be shipping the Unlocked GSM phones to Canada?

Thanks
    That would be nice, better than waiting a year for one of the carriers up here to get it. A price would be good as well.
    Hi there,

Kevin from Handspring here. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems unlikely that the Treo 600 will ship to Canada before the end of the year. Iím sorry, I know thatís not the response you were hoping for.

Best wishes,
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out whatís new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Hello Kevin,

Thanks a lot for the reply, it's basically what I had expected so I'm not too disappointed.

Maybe you can shed some light on the industry in general. As far as I know, the Canadian carriers (Bell, Rogers, Telus) are not much different than the carriers in the USA, and our networks (CDMA from Telus/Bell and GSM from Rogers) are again not much different than what you guys have in the USA. So, why does it take so long to get the new gear up here in Canada? Why does it take so long to test and release new products? If it works down there, it should work up here right? I'm just confused by the whole process, any light you can shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    It's usually the carriers fault. The carriers have to want the device, then they each have to test it and certify it, blah blah.

Now, why can't Handspring make an unlocked version available for anyone? Who knows
    Originally posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hi there,

Kevin from Handspring here. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems unlikely that the Treo 600 will ship to Canada before the end of the year. Iím sorry, I know thatís not the response you were hoping for.

Best wishes,
    Kevin
    damn...

Time to make some friends in the states...
  7. MrH
    Originally posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hi there,

Best wishes,
    Kevin
    Two questions then:

1) Will Handspring be honouring the upgrade price for any Canadian purchased Treo 270's (from Rogers AT&T Wireless)

2) What is the expected availability date of the Treo 600 GSM/GPRS version?

Any light you can shine on this would be much appreciated!

M@
  8.    #8  
    That is really BAD news - all u buddies down in the US are really lucky.

I wonder if I could get FEDEX to pick it up for me ... I do have a Fedex Account (hmmm) - perhaps ask HS to pass it to Fedex at their warehouse or point of shipment.

Any thoughts anyone?
    I ordered here and it will be delevered here in Montreal
    http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...html&order_id=!ORDERID!

Marc-Andre
    Originally posted by prospects

Marc-Andre
    Marc-Andre,
    When you get your Treo600 GSM please let us know if you get it working - I'm assuming you will be using it on the Rogers Network. Please let us know if you can get take your SIM card from your Treo270 and put it in the T600 and it works including both voice and data.

Thank you!
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    As long as it's unlocked, it will work.
    Originally posted by prospects

Marc-Andre
    That's steep man...
    "Your Price: $564.84"
    Why does it take so long to get the new gear up here in Canada?
    Handspring has to work closely with an operator to deliver a wireless product into a country. We are doing that now on a worldwide level and in some instances it takes longer than in others. We have good relationships with carriers in Canada and intend to deliver the product there as quickly as we possibly can.

Will Handspring be honouring the upgrade price for any Canadian purchased Treo 270's (from Rogers AT&T Wireless)?
    At this time, the upgrade program is for U.S. customers only. We will announce pricing and promotions when we announce Treo 600 distribution plans in Canada.

What is the expected availability date of the Treo 600 GSM/GPRS version?
    I can't make any announcements at this time regarding Canadian availability. Please keep checking Handspring.com for news.

Thanks for your questions. I'm sorry I don't have more information for you right now.

Best wishes,
    Kevin
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out whatís new at
    http://www.palm.com/
  14.    #14  
    Reading some of the other posts on this forum, dosen't FedEx pick-up the phones for delivery directly from HS warehousing?

If this is the case, why couldn't I get FedEx to ship a GSM phone to me here in Canada?
  15. MrH
    Originally posted by gqlau
    Reading some of the other posts on this forum, dosen't FedEx pick-up the phones for delivery directly from HS warehousing?

If this is the case, why couldn't I get FedEx to ship a GSM phone to me here in Canada?
    Probably for the same reason that the GSM unit has been delayed until 11/29. I believe that until Rogers/Fido agrees to pick up the phone for use (I believe only Rogers) we won't see it available here as it seems as though Handspring is using carrier partnerships as their main mode of distribution.

I wonder what would happen if I tried to get an unlocked GSM unit upgrade with Rogers serial number shipped to the states, I wonder if it would be unlocked.

M@
  16.    #16  
    I was referring to getting an unlocked GSM t600 from HS and getting FedEx to ship it to me here in Canada.

11/29 - is that for unlocked handsets as well???

HS really has to pick up the slack with these product slips.

I am seriously contemplating ditching the t600 for a Sonyericsson P900/810 - it will come out around the same time, so ...

Handspring - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER !!!
  17. MrH
    Originally posted by gqlau
    I was referring to getting an unlocked GSM t600 from HS and getting FedEx to ship it to me here in Canada.

11/29 - is that for unlocked handsets as well???

HS really has to pick up the slack with these product slips.

I am seriously contemplating ditching the t600 for a Sonyericsson P900/810 - it will come out around the same time, so ...

Handspring - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER !!!
    gqlau,

I hear you man...and yes my understanding is that 11/29 is for all North American GSM Treo 600 units. Some speculate that it is due to carriers (AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile) not being ready to launch due to a lack of testing or that there is some sort of 'bug' in the GSM units. I can wait an extra month...it is killing me though since my Treo 270 died after quite a far drop. I have been contemplating a Blackberry however I'd really rather get a 'proper' organizer with wireless email functionality...I don't need the 'push' functionality that the Blackberry has.

I also would contemplate a SE P900 however I'm not crazy about the Symbian OS and also the form factor.

Just reviewing the Treo 600 sizes compared to my current Sony Ericsson T616:

Treo 600 (HxWxD): 112mm x 60mm x 22mm
    T616 (HxWxD): 102mm x 44mm x 19mm
    Difference (HxWxD): 10mm x 16mm x 3mm

To me the size/form factor/processor/battery life/quad band/expandability are all reasons to be patient and wait. I will fully admit though that I am very disappointed about the slip up in dates, however I'd rather they do it once right.

And you know what they say...good things come to those who wait...only problem is the stress is killing me...(and the lack of organization)

M@
    Last edited by MrH; 10/16/2003 at 11:04 PM.
    I guess I will wait as well, I have waited this long. I was planning to get the Kyocera 7135 but decided not to after serveral friends bought one and were not too impressed. They like the phones enough, but the batter life is terrible and it's a little big (but it has analog capability and a replacable battery, both pluses over the T600). Anyway, I decided to carry around my phone/Palm combo for a while longer hoping that I can get the T600 early next year. It's getting harder and harder not to buy a new Palm though, that T3 is very tempting.
  19.    #19  
    guys,

the more i read the posts here, the more i'm starting to lose faith in the GSM t600.

there seems to be so many issues with the thing - it just starts to make it's competition (SE P900 and O2 Xda II) all the more attractive.

1) Release Date => bloody moving target - hurry the %@*~! up
    2) Rattles / funny noises from loose buttons
    3) Screen light does not turn off when on a call - wha???
    4) Screen resolution
    5) WiFi not available (O2 Xda II it's a given)
    6) No Bluetooth - what on earth??

So really the only thing that keeps me hanging (on a very thin thread) to the t600 is the thumb board. If the O2 Xda II had a keyboard, i would be gone in a heartbeat.

If the HS GSM delay for 11/29 is true, i'm pretty sure it's Xda II for me.

my 2 cents
    I am curious that if canadian carriers do eventually offer treo 600 in canada, would there be different color options, i.e.: black GSM or sliver CDMA...?

Kevin, any words please?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast