Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi,
    I took a look at the site for Verichat.

It claims to use the "always-on" GPRS connection.

But then, in the system requirements settings and the setup section they say you need the "text messaging" phone number of the wireless carrier (i.e., SMS messaging).

So, does it connect directly to the IM networks and send/receive messages as data (and therefor gets charged against a GPRS xMB/month plan)?

Or, does it send and receive IM messages by SMS? (Getting charged x amount per message?)

If it sends the IM messages through the GPRS connection, why do you need to configure the SMS messaging number?

Thanks.
    Verichat ( on your phone) connects to their servers....and from there to each IM. SO...after you register and get your license...they will have your connection data. TO others that have you on their buddy list...you will ALWAYS be online. Yout don't have to have your data connection live on the phone. When someone sends you a message..you will receive it on your phone like an SMS message......you just have to connect to the net ( Vision) to respond...

IGo..
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Originally posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    Verichat ( on your phone) connects to their servers....and from there to each IM. SO...after you register and get your license...they will have your connection data. TO others that have you on their buddy list...you will ALWAYS be online. Yout don't have to have your data connection live on the phone. When someone sends you a message..you will receive it on your phone like an SMS message......you just have to connect to the net ( Vision) to respond...

IGo..
    Which, IMO, should be an optional feature and not something that is impossible to turn off unless you choose to log off Verichat each time. I for one belong to a GSM network that doesn't provide "phone number email addresses", and would therefore strongly prefer if I could use Verichat via GPRS only, either by some sort of multitasking (I know Palm OS 5 isn't too good at it, but as long as I'm able to receive phone calls and SMS'es in the background I would think that it should be possible?) and thus staying online for as long as I have a GPRS connection running, or by choosing to log on and off automatically as I start and quit Verichat.
    Disclaimer: I've just tried the trial version a couple of months ago on my Tungsten W, don't know if the current version has changed when it comes to these things...

/Christopher
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    HI ALL, WON'T AOL IM WORK? TAKE CARE, JAY

go to vision home, click messaging, click IM, and use AIM or Yahoo
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    SPringTreo..

I agree....but what about MSN and ICQ?

IGo
    download Java HQ palm version and palmmsn and icq for palm os....all free i think
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    The specs on the Treo 600 says it has SMS and MMS. Isn't that what's used for text messaging? I sure hope that I can use those because I'm a heavy text messaging user on my t-mobile motorola V60 and looking forward to when t-mobile finally comes out with the 600.
    SPrint's SMS text messaging comes online in November....so you'll have to wait. AT that time they will probaby provide it free for a couple of months to get you to try it...then charge you per month after that time period is over. This is where TreoSMS ( www.pdaapps.com) for the t600 coms out better......one flat fee!!

IGo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12