Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I'm getting my new T600 tomorrow and am wondering if anyone who has upgraded from a T300 has any tips for the upgrade. I'm assuming that you do the normal hotsynch of the old device and then hotsynch the new one, but is ther anything else to worry about? Since hacks, PQAs and Business Connection don't work with the T600, should I delete them from my backup directory?

Any tips, tricks or traps to avoid would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    TreoLover
    Originally posted by treolover
    Hi all,

I'm getting my new T600 tomorrow and am wondering if anyone who has upgraded from a T300 has any tips for the upgrade. I'm assuming that you do the normal hotsynch of the old device and then hotsynch the new one, but is ther anything else to worry about? Since hacks, PQAs and Business Connection don't work with the T600, should I delete them from my backup directory?

Any tips, tricks or traps to avoid would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    TreoLover
    Dear TreoLover,

Although, the User's Guide does say that you can:
    1- Do one last hotsync with your "Palm OS" device,
    2- Load the new Desktop software from the CD-Rom,
    3- The new Desktop should quarantine the OS 5 non-compliant software and save it to a "unusable software folder",
    4- Sync Treo 600 with the new Desktop using "old Palm device" name,
    5- Should work fine...

NOT!

I tried the above and my Treo 600 (on the Palm side) would turn on and turn off in a repetitive cycle.

[Side note: Even though the new Dektop should quarantine software that maynot work, it installed all of my PQA's on the T600... when I think evrone konows that PQA's are not supported in OS 5.]

I then...
    1- Hard reset my malfunctioning T600,
    2- Removed all Desktop software,
    3- Clean load of new Desktop software,
    4- Created a "new" name on the Desktop software with my "old" Palm Profile name,
    5- Beamed (or re-installed) each piece of Palm OS software - Contact databases - Appointment databases - etc,
    6- Now no issues! Seems to work perfect.

I hope that this helps,
    Dave Lindberg

P.S.
    Just back a copy of your Palm folder on your drive, just in case it doesn't work you can still recover your essentail Palm data.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Sorry to cross-post this, but didn't want to type the whole thing over for people not following the other thread...

Thanks for the previous advice!!!!

Hi all,

I ordered mine last Wednesday night at about 11 PM and it arrived today. I opted to pay the $6 extra for overnight shipping otherwise I guess it would have come tomorrow.

Anyway, everything is beautiful! GREAT product and I'm already fluent with the new "D" button. It really does provide a good one-handed experience.

I do miss a couple of the hacks I had before -- in particular, Correct Hack and KeyCapsHack. I definitely need to find replacements for both of them.

Other than that, everything about the 600 is superior to the 300. The new Favorites screen is great! Love the fact that you can now assign Hot Keys. That fact replaces another favorite hack, Easy Launch, quite well. I wish you could make Favorites the initial screen like it was with the 300 (anyone know how?), but it is only 1 key away.

Another nice new feature is the Security option that lets you lock the whole device after a preset period of time. This was a very good feature of the Blackberry and it's now in the Treo. I'm a paranoid guy and knowing that at least may data is safe if I lose the box is a relief. I encourage everyone to use it!!!

Finally, the upgrade is not smooth at all. Of course you need to synch the 300 first and then install the new 600 synch software. the 600 software attempts to recognize the "bad" applications and pu them in quarantine. However, this process is very flawed. It recognized a bunch of apps that actually do work on OS5 and completely ignored a host that do not -- most notably hacks and PQAs. After a very intensive cleansing process, I finally got everything working properly. The good thing is that all my contacts, calendar, to do list, etc synch'd flawlessly.

I would recommend that you delete the hacks and PQAs that you KNOW won't work with the 600 from your backup directory before you do the initial synch. That will save you a lot of time. Also, if you have a file called "MIDI Ring Tones", delete that too or you won't have any of the built-in tones available.

OK, now I have done all that and the 600 is working GREAT!!!

Just wish that Sprint had Business Connection up too. However, this gives me the opportunity to check out the competition. Right now, I'm reviewing the Treo Mail replacement, Visto (which has a 30 day trial). It seems to work very well and it's push email is pretty smooth and fast. It doen't have my dream synchronization with the folders, calendar or contacts, but it does have a pretty good interface. It is not nearly as fast as BC at reconizing the changes plam-side changes on the pc-side. Guess they don't have a very quick server yet.

Anyway, I hope there is something in all of this that helps you...

Enjoy your new T600!
    TL
    Hey TL,

Did you have any issue's with your Palm Desktop icons?

I got my Treo 600 workign fine, but when I open the Palm Desktop I see three "icons" in the left hand section of the dektop that have "weird" icons: Notepad, Palm Notes, and Voice memo?

Does anyone else have this same issue. I used to have Kyocera 6035, Treoo 300 now Treo 600. I have unistalled the Palm Desktop software and they still appear?

And... when you loaded the new Treo Desktop software, did it also install... Splash Money, Splash ID and Splash Shopping and Docs-to-Go? How do these work as I do not have any way to access them via the Treo Desktop and and I see no icons on my computer desktop?

Thanks,
    Dave Lindberg
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Hi Dave,

I don't use the Palm Desktop since I synch with Outlook, but I opened it up and here are the icons on the left: Date, Address, To Do, Memo, Treo Pictures and Install. Perhaps your icons (especially Voice Memo) are remnants from a previous install? If you uninstall Palm Desktop AND delete the Palm/Handspring directory, that might solve the problem. If you do that though, be sure to make a backup of your data directory.

Finally, the Splash applications and Docs-to-Go do show up on my system. The Splash apps are all scaled down versions and I will probably just delete them. Docs-to-Go doesn't seem to run on its own and I guess I'll wait for the new Business Connection to see if it allows you to read attachments via Docs-to-Go before passing judgement. If you still don't have the apps on your Treo, you can manually install them. They are located in one of the directories on the CD, but I don't remember which one. There are only a couple so you shouldn't have any trouble finding the PRCs.

Sorry to not be of more help!

Thx,
    TL
    Dear TL,

Thanks for confirming the Desktop icons, Splash apps and Docs-to-go apps! Yah know... I don't understand why Handspring opted for Splash Money with no way to export out-of-the-box instead of Expense? Does anyone know if I can add the Expense app as found on the Palm handhelds?

I finally got my Palm/Treo Desktop to work... whew! I did delete all folders and files and edited my registry too... too many times. But, on a fluke... I installed the Desktop software WITHOUT syncing with the Treo 600 when the software prompted. I opened up the Desktop and viola! All seems good now. No old icons.

To recap... if others have the same issue... do not sync when the softwares promts you. Complete the Desktop software install and sync from the desktop.

Oh.. and I thought this was interesting too... some apps that I was told by others on the board that would not work do. All of the below I have added to my Treo 600 without trouble, including:
    AIM Ver 1.1, PalmVNC 2.0.3 (build 181)

Thanks again TL,
    Dave