1.    #1  
    Does Treo 600 work with Blackberry Enterprise Server?

My company's IT department deployed Blackberries a year ago, and I am now wanting to upgrade to something with additional feautures. Want to know if it will work with our existing BlackBerry server, or If I can modify it to do so.

Looking to converge 3 devices - Currently carrying a BlackBerry, Pocket PC, and a cell phone.
    No
    Go talk to one of these companies if you want something similar:

Visto ExpressMail
    Good GoodLink
    Sprint Business Connection
  4. crp
    jjennings:

I went through the same thing 6 months ago. Now, my company-issued Blackberry stays in its cradle. So does my old Nokia, and Toshiba e-740 PocketPC.

I replaced them all with TreoMail, and had it's desktop app running on my corporate laptop while I'm out on the road. But, TreoMail doesn't work w/ the 600. However, it's successor, MessageXpress, does.

I installed it tonight (10/12/03) on my laptop & Treo 600. It works like a charm. http://www.visto.com/solutions/mobileprofessional

The only weak link is that if your laptop looses it's connection, your MessageXpress link goes down too.

So, what I do is have PalmVPN running on my laptop too. So, if I lose my network connection, I pull up my laptop's screen on my Treo and reconnect. Easy. Of course, it took me weeks to cobble that solution together.

You won't.

Regards,
    crp
  5.    #5  
    Thanks CRP.

I don't think a "desktop redirector" is the solution for me. I travel 50% of the time, and most of the time, my laptop is with me - therefore unconnected and unable to redirect mail. I will try and research a bit more on how Sprint Business Connection works.

Is there something similar to "Go to My PC" or "PC Anywhere" that will work for the Treo - give access to the desktop of my PC while traveling. If so, would I be able to open up company specific software - SAP?
  6.    #6  
    More info on Sprint Business Connection:

Making wireless effortless
    PCS Business Connection Personal Edition requires no hardware or software installations on your company's network, getting up and running couldn't be easier.

Just install the PCS Business Connection Personal Edition software on your office PC and you're all set.

When your work PC isn't on, you can share connections with your co-workers so that you always have access to your email, calendar, and contacts. Your data remains secure behind the corporate firewall and any changes you make on your wireless device are instantly updated on your corporate server without the need to synchronize.
    http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/pr...data/bcpe.html
    Anyone have a real way to fix this problem? I'd get this thing tomorrow if I could use this as a blackberry too...
    Originally posted by crp
    jjennings:

I went through the same thing 6 months ago. Now, my company-issued Blackberry stays in its cradle. So does my old Nokia, and Toshiba e-740 PocketPC.

I replaced them all with TreoMail, and had it's desktop app running on my corporate laptop while I'm out on the road. But, TreoMail doesn't work w/ the 600. However, it's successor, MessageXpress, does.

I installed it tonight (10/12/03) on my laptop & Treo 600. It works like a charm. http://www.visto.com/solutions/mobileprofessional

The only weak link is that if your laptop looses it's connection, your MessageXpress link goes down too.

So, what I do is have PalmVPN running on my laptop too. So, if I lose my network connection, I pull up my laptop's screen on my Treo and reconnect. Easy. Of course, it took me weeks to cobble that solution together.

You won't.

Regards,
    crp
    --------------------------
    crp,

Have you tried the palm vpm software on the 600 and been able to make it work successfully? So, you can reboot your computer (restart) when the redirector hangs or...?

Thanks!
    I just finished a project for an IT Outsourcing company that is moving from GoodLink 1.x to the new GoodLink 2.1. Any company that is using BES can change to GoodLink easily. Actually GL is EASIER to install and maintain than BES.

Among the benefits that GL has over BES is the fact that GL support more than one handheld platform. BES currently only support Blackberrys.

Gl 2.1 will support the Treo 600 shortly when Treo drivers are through being tested by Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and Cingular; As they come on line. Your IT guys will find that GL 2.1 will support your Treo AND the Blackberrys at the same time, even if you want to use a different wireless provider than the Blackberrys.

In the near future you'll have GL support for Pocket PC Wireless Phones too.

Get the guys to check out www.good.com. They'll LIKE it!

T
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
    elephants can't dance - so big companies with >100k employees don't make those kind of changes overnight, even if they were willing to (which they aren't). Even though a new system might be more efficient and user friendly, they will always fall back on whatever is tried and tested, especially given security concerns of corporate emails. I'll run the Goodlink idea by our IT guys, but I'd love to see if there's a way to get our Treo to work with BES directly.
    Last edited by petesamprs; 10/14/2003 at 11:37 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Elephants definitely don't dance !!! Our IT dept just sent out this communication:

Standard for Corporate Email delivered to Hand Held Devices

We have chosen the Blackberry Enterprise solution to deliver email to hand held devices. We have installed a Blackberry enterprise server in the data center. This allows us to push corporate emails to our users who have Blackberry devices. There are two options that we support.

Purchase a Blackberry unit from your Cell supplier of Choice: As long as it is a Blackberry support device we can deliver email to your hand held. In this option you negotiate the device and monthly cost with the vendor of your choice. There will be a one-time charge from IT for the server license.

Purchase a Blackberry device through the IT department: The IT department offers two models from Cingular.
    Obviously your IT departments haven't seen 'Fantasia'.

It's too bad though, we'd been running BES and made the switch to GoodLink in less than a week with no disruption. The cost of the server itself is minimal.

I DO note, jjennings, that they only talk about the Blackberrys themselves, not BES. Maybe you could get them to explore the advantages of GL over BES and, if they put up the new server, you could start your campagin about using your Treo.

Just a thought.

petesamprs - I understand the mountain you'll have to climb. Just remind them that RIM (The Blackberry guys) have a vested intested in LOCKING other handheld vendors out of their BES. Good Technology is platform agnostic and will continue to add more and more handheld offerings as time goes on.

Bon Chance guys!
    T
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
    Goodlink 2.1 looks like the ticket for Treo600 entry into corp hands. But I don't see any mention of it working with Lotus Notes. Does anyone know if it is capable of integrating Lotus Notes email and calendaring with Treo 600's? I also sent Good an email with this question.