1.    #1  
    First, I must say I love the concept, features, and form factor of the Treo 600. However, after activating my new Treo 600, I noticed that the signal strength was lower than my previous phone (Sanyo 8100) in the same place: 2 bars (Treo 600) vs 4 bars (Sanyo 8100). Sprint PCS said that the phone must go through provisioning to work best, so I waited hours but the signal strength never improved. I tried the Treo 600 at several places where I would typically make calls with the Sanyo 8100 but had a lot of problems with the Treo 600. At places were the Sanyo 8100 works fine, the Treo 600 had a lower signal strength, problems finding the network, wavering sound quality, and/or dropped calls.

The next day I was going to bring the Treo 600 into a local Sprint PCS service center for them to run diagnostics, as SPCS Technical Support suggested I do. Before I could do that, the next morning the Treo 600 would reset itself every time I tried to turn Wireless Mode ON. The service center said they didn't really know what was wrong with the unit and they gave me a new replacement. After activating and waiting with the replacement Treo 600, I found the signal strength wasn't any better or worse than the first Treo 600.

I love eveything about the Treo 600 but the poor signal reception is a big disappointment. My first need is having a phone with good reception, and secondly, a good PDA. Since I can't use the Treo 600 like I did with the Sanyo 8100 (regarding making/receiving calls), I debating whether to find a good bluetooth phone & PDA pair.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Sorry to hear about your poor reception. I did do a search before asking this question.

Specifically, I have been a T-Mobile customer for several years. I was with T-Mobile when they were still Voicestream. I used a Nokia phone and had perfect reception all the way to and from work. I currently own a Treo 270, using the same network, and it drops calls all the time on the same drive that the Nokia never dropped calls.

I read several threads regarding poor Treo 270 reception and was hoping the reception would be better with the 600. If it is not, I do not want the 600 either.

So, is there some kind of spec, some way to tell if the reception will be better before buying the phone? What exactly about the phone causes better or worse reception when using the same network? Thanks for any and all input.
    Bar strength relates to both the quality of the radio but moreso to the strength/proximity of local cell towers and to your local topography.

I know people with Treo 300 who had horrible signal strenth in their homes but were perfectly happy on Cingular/GSM. It really depends on the network in your area. My advice is to ask others on your road and in your workplace what carrier they use and how their signal strength is. After that, phone radio nuances may vary a bar or two - it is always worth considering that there is no convention on what constitutes a bar on a phone signal indicator. Also signal indicators are usually only showing you receive strength rather than transmit strength and these values may differ. Cell phones do not transmit on the same frequency as they receive to keep some channel separation.
    Very true. You cannot simply say, "I have more bars on this phone than i do with that" because that is completely unreliable. The real test is to find a debug mode and look at the actual decibel readings. If the readings are consistently higher (meaning lower signal strength) than your previous phone, then you could conclude that it is better or worse than your current phone.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I had a Sanyo 4900. It had MUCH better reception than the t600

just my vote
  6.    #6  
    You guys are only focused on one aspect of my assessment (the signal strength indicator) and ignored the rest of it. I could have excluded that detail and just list the others. Still, the fewer number of bars of signal indicator correlated with other indicators of poor reception. In summary, I used two phones in the same area: one phone worked great, the other didn't. I suppose if you live next to a cell tower, the Treo 600 would be terrific.
    My T600 has the same signal strength as my T300 did in my house, but the T600 sounds a lot worse.
    the t600 sounds real cr*p
    I have the rev B and my TREO 300 worked well from my house, the TREO 600 doesn't work.

This is my biggest complaint with the device. I'm on Sprint PCS.

Any chance of a radio fix?
    This is a potential KILLER. If reception is bad, I don't care how nifty it is.

I'm still waiting for GSM version. But I wonder if it'd have the same defect.

If you have good/bad experiences with t600, it'd be of great help to the rest of us if you could post it.

Thanks!
    People post here with all sorts of motivations. Go try the CDMA for yourself. People reporting poor reception would probably have poor reception with any CDMA phone from Sprint. Do you think Sprint or a GSM carrier would certify a phone that could not stay on their network - I think not! Burning minutes is what it's all about. FOr some peoples physical locations, Sprint or GSM may not work well.

Try for yourself before believing inflammatory postings and assuming this applies to you too!
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    People post here with all sorts of motivations. Go try the CDMA for yourself. People reporting poor reception would probably have poor reception with any CDMA phone from Sprint. Do you think Sprint or a GSM carrier would certify a phone that could not stay on their network - I think not! Burning minutes is what it's all about. FOr some peoples physical locations, Sprint or GSM may not work well.

Try for yourself before believing inflammatory postings and assuming this applies to you too!
    Tell me how you read people's motivations. I can't. I can only read what people post. And I did, which apparently you didn't.

Previous posters said clearly "on the same location/route".

I hope T600 is the best. But
    1. it's not my baby and
    2. I don't intend to adopt it and
    3. my ***** size is not related to my cellphone and
    4. I insist on not having to try a $600 cellphone for reception quality.

Those who do harm my interest as a consumer, though they're loved by the companies.
    Last edited by misnomer; 11/05/2003 at 12:59 AM.
    Originally posted by mwomwom

right on!!! A lot of things contribute to signal strength including the unit itself. The quality of the radio module may be different on each unit of the same model. Here's a thread on the other side of the coin.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...rformance.html
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Take your Treo 600 to a Sprint Store and specifically ask for a "HP Test". That is the diagnostic you want, and I reccomend that everyone test their Sprint phone as soon as getting it, as well as when the warranty is about to expire.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    OT: did u get yours haton?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    OT: did u get yours haton?
    Treo 600? Yes
    HP Test on Treo 600? Not yet, 2+ hour drive to nearest full-service store.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Hi guys,

Firstly does anyone know if this "HP Test" is available in the UK, Orange on GSM?
    Secondly, what does it do - test the reciever / signal strength presumably?
    Thirdly, what does "HP" stand for? Stores in the UK might know what Im referring to if ask.

Finally, does anyone know of a way (service code) to show the signal strength / field strength on a Treo 600? (It'll show a number, rather than just bars).
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
    Quote Originally Posted by cy80rg
    Hi guys,

Firstly does anyone know if this "HP Test" is available in the UK, Orange on GSM?
    Secondly, what does it do - test the reciever / signal strength presumably?
    Thirdly, what does "HP" stand for? Stores in the UK might know what Im referring to if ask.

Finally, does anyone know of a way (service code) to show the signal strength / field strength on a Treo 600? (It'll show a number, rather than just bars).
    The HP Test is usually only in warranty service centers, Sprint is the one major exception. The HP Test box is bascially a cell phone tower in a box, and it runs a battery of tests on the device to see if the phone is working as it was intended to both in good and poor signal qualities.

HP Stands for Hewlett-Packard, the company that originally created the test boxes. However, it really is just a placeholder now. It's also often referred to as a signal diagnostic box or an RF Test unit.
    ChristopherPrice.net