Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's the Orange GSM, but roaming works fine on both T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless. Even the GPRS, and it was blazing fast when sending some pictures to Paris earlier today (don't want to see the bill though).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mol-

Can you give us some numbers, we keep hearing that GSM will be slower. However, we do not really know for sure. It would really help some of us that have equally crappy service from both providers in our area. I am on the fence, should I wait and try GSM. (Longer battery, it seems to handle internet+phone at the same time, plus has sms and pop3 out of the box.) OR is Sprint so much faster that is is worth the extra quirks and not knowing if sms will ever get here for real?

-DT
  3.    #3  
    Can't give you any hard numbers, as testing is obviously a quite expensive thing with GPRS roaming rates.

Over the last 48 hours I've checked email a few times and sent some pictures, all using Snapper. I've looked at a few web sites using Blazer. Both upload and download times were comparable with Europe, which is not bad because AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $GPRS$ $connection$ $uses$ $the$ $Orange$ $APN$ $and$ $so$ $the$ $overall$ $performance$ $will$ $be$ $limited$ $to$ $whatever$ $throughput$ $that$ $provides$.

I've seen a few blazing fast up and downloads, like 100K in less than 5 seconds, but had a few freezes as well.

In general I'm not impressed by the quality of the signal. I have frequent 'No Service' messages and for some reason it sometimes doesn't restore the connection for 15 minutes. FYI, I'm in Manhattan this week.
    Originally posted by Mol
    In general I'm not impressed by the quality of the signal. I have frequent 'No Service' messages and for some reason it sometimes doesn't restore the connection for 15 minutes. FYI, I'm in Manhattan this week.
    Had you used GSM phones in the US before? If so, is this worse than the average experience? I know that GSM coverage in Europe is a lot better than the US. I have had "no service" situations in Manhattan myself albeit indoors.
  5.    #5  
    I've used GSM before in the US (really bad experiences) but never in Manhattan. I was expecting to have zero problems here, how naive . I'm staying at a friend and just asked him, he said he's having the same problems with his SE T68.

Is it normal as well that it can take up to 15 minutes before it restores the connection?
  6.    #6  
    Off-topic: does anybody know the address of the soup shop?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Mol
    Off-topic: does anybody know the address of the soup shop?
    Try the Northeast corner of 55th Street and 8 Ave.
    Originally posted by Mol

Is it normal as well that it can take up to 15 minutes before it restores the connection?
    It's not normal but it happens. Really annoying! I think it has to do with saturated towers.
    Originally posted by willp2

Try the Northeast corner of 55th Street and 8 Ave.
    What? The soup shop is real?!
    What do you know! The things you learn when you hang around in geek forums these days!!
    ...and to think, when I saw 10 posts on the thread I though I would just learn some more info about GSM vs Sprint. Oh, not true I now know where the soup shop is.

jk, guys.

Thanks for all the info.

-DT
    Originally posted by Mol
    I've used GSM before in the US (really bad experiences) but never in Manhattan. I was expecting to have zero problems here, how naive . I'm staying at a friend and just asked him, he said he's having the same problems with his SE T68.

i never have to restore anything im on GSM/GPRS 24/7 works great
    Originally posted by Mol
    It's the Orange GSM, but roaming works fine on both T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless. Even the GPRS, and it was blazing fast when sending some pictures to Paris earlier today (don't want to see the bill though).
    Damn you Mol, you're such a tease!
    Just playing man...thanks for the pic and info about T600 GSM working on T-Mobile.
    GSM Nazis:

"No Treo 600 for you!"
    Mol, any chance you'd run a bmeter test for all of us? That will give us the desired GPRS speed info without running up your data bill significantly. I've attached the prc to this post and posted a copy at http://piquant.us/bmeter.prc or would be happy to e-mail it to you.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by pstrasma
    Mol, any chance you'd run a bmeter test for all of us? That will give us the desired GPRS speed info without running up your data bill significantly. I've attached the prc to this post and posted a copy at http://piquant.us/bmeter.prc or would be happy to e-mail it to you.

Thanks!
    I'll run a few tests. Indoor I have virtually no connection so it needs to wait till tomorrow.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by HumP

i never have to restore anything im on GSM/GPRS 24/7 works great
    I've watched the connection on/off behavior more closely tonight and it's slightly worrying. It doesn't restore the connection after it has lost it for more than about 15 minutes. I need to switch it off and on manually or reset.

Also strange: when it has lost the connection and I go to Select Network, it resets immediately. When I have a connection and I do the same then I see T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Speeds, advantages, disadvantages, etc.

T-Mobile offers unlimited internet for $ 20 a month.

Sprint $ 10 a month.

What about speeds, quality, coverage, etc.

Thanks
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Speeds, advantages, disadvantages, etc.

T-Mobile offers unlimited internet for $ 20 a month.

Sprint $ 10 a month.

What about speeds, quality, coverage, etc.

Thanks
    hello i would like the info about the unlimited internet from t mobile and sprint! many thanks! it would save alot of money! lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast