1.    #1  
    is it easy to blow out the speaker(s) i want use ptunes (pocket tunes) with out headphones and when i turn it all the way up and put your finger neaar the speaker it gives off a HUGE and scary vibration, im afraid im gonna blow it out, is it safe to use it like that or no?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    It is, infact, possible to blow out the Treo 600 speaker. I do not know if this will be covered under warrenty or not! I would say that it is safe to use the speaker at medium levels, but I would be careful about ramping it up all the way.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I think I may have a blown speaker in my Treo 600, it sounds horrible, but I'm not sure how they are supposed to sound to begin with. Playing any ringer with a bass quality (like Arabesque, Cow Bells, etc. ) at a volume of around 4 and above, creates a crackling sound from the rear speaker. Does anyone else experience this? There is also a slight rattle in my phone, but again I am not sure if this is ok. I've only had the phone for 3 days, and the sounds has been like this from the get go. I am going back to Sprint tomorrow to see if this is normal and if it is defective, to get a replacement.

If someone could relay to me how there sound is on their Treo 600, and if they get any distortion from the speaker for any sound or ringtones, that would be great. The crackling is most evident during the bass parts of sounds. Thanks.

Aaron
    I accidentally used the volume boost or whatever with Picket Tunes

Do NOT use that .. it is too louid for the speaker

Mine got all distorted.. I turend it off in a few seconds

But everything else does seem fine

THis SHOULD be covered in the warrnty like anything else though!
    C'mon guys - if you turn up any audio device to max volume so that the speaker cone pops or your child does it for you, do you try to claim warranty failure. Well, not in good conscience IMHO!
    umm why not? sorry dont get it...we're not talking about professinal stereo equipment- it shouldnt blow out, or the volume control should be leveled accordingly...thats crap if it blows out on high volume...i would certainly demand warranty coverage...

my p800 has a seperate speaker- used for the ringer and speakerphone, and i have it maxed...im not worried about it blowing out or distorting significantly...its a simple software fix to level the volume control, or at least use decent hardware...
    Originally posted by aavirag
    I think I may have a blown speaker in my Treo 600, it sounds horrible, but I'm not sure how they are supposed to sound to begin with. Playing any ringer with a bass quality (like Arabesque, Cow Bells, etc. ) at a volume of around 4 and above, creates a crackling sound from the rear speaker. Does anyone else experience this? There is also a slight rattle in my phone, but again I am not sure if this is ok. I've only had the phone for 3 days, and the sounds has been like this from the get go. I am going back to Sprint tomorrow to see if this is normal and if it is defective, to get a replacement.

If someone could relay to me how there sound is on their Treo 600, and if they get any distortion from the speaker for any sound or ringtones, that would be great. The crackling is most evident during the bass parts of sounds. Thanks.

Aaron
    It's not you it's the Sprint phone. There is another thread here about the phone ringer being defective on arrival. The slight rattle is unrelated and comes from play in the on/off button on the top.

I am on my third day of trying to get Sprint to send a replacement phone. I have talked to seven people, and finally one said he would help. Expect to get routed from sales to customer care, to trouble shooting, to a retail store (that hasn't even seen the phone yet), to .... (ad nauseum, to the Last ***** Standing).
    You're right, the rattling I have is just from the on/off button on the top of the phone, I finally was able to nail that down. The sound is still an issue. I am going straight back the the store I purchased it from right now. It would be nice if they had a display model or another Treo 600 in the back that can be compared to mine. I believe they had plenty of new ones when I bought mine, so maybe getting a replacement won't be a hassle, I dunno.

Aaron
    Can't you guys return the phone to sprint within 14 days for a full refund?? Buy it from another store after returning it. Why don't you try that angle instead of replacement from sprint bad customer service
    Because if you buy it from another store and return your phone to Sprint, you have to deal with a lot of hassles. I am doing this (although not for the warranty but to take advantage of the Handspring rebate, which was announced after I received my phone from Sprint).

Basically, you have to pay for both phones at the same time, wait a while, then get a service credit or check from Sprint. It's a real nuisance and it also greatly increases the amount of cash you have invested in the phone in the short term, until Sprint gets around to sending you a check. You also will probably have to pay an extra $36 activation, and depending when the new phone arrives, you may have a gap of a day or longer when you won't have a phone at all.

Just a real pain.
    Well, I took the phone to the Sprint store where I purchased it, and they did not have any more Treo 600's. They said I could go to another Sprint store in the area, and that they could help me there. The woman was very nice and even called ahead to let them know I was coming. At the other store, they powered a new Treo up so I could compare the sounds with mine. As it turns out, my Treo 600 did indeed have a bad speaker, and the service rep was happy to exchange it for me.

Customer service did a nice job with me today.

Aaron
    Aaron,

Just curious as to what Sprint stores had the phone last week. I am in Dallas and as of last Friday (10/10/03), they had not even seen the phone.

I got mine vie Sprint telesales and the problem seems to have been getting anyone with a brain. I offered to let them charge another phone and even that fell on deaf ears until (hopefully today).

I like the T600. It would just be nice to have a working speaker.

PalmAddict
    I was at the Sprint store last Wednesday, the 8th, and they had some there. I purchased my phone on the 9th. These are all Dayton area stores that I've been to. They did say that they were selling out fast, and already 2 of the stores are indeed sold out.

Aaron