1.    #1  
    Anyone know if the Treo600 has enough processing power to record short video clips if an application could be developed to do so??
    I don't think the proc will be an issue. The question is whether the camera is capable of this...The answer is most probably not!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    why not? it has no problem displaying live video on the screen....
    Originally posted by Fikse
    why not? it has no problem displaying live video on the screen....
    So can the Z71, but that device can't record video either...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The camera's capabilities would not preclude the Treo from saving video. The video may not look good, but it could be done, at least in terms of the camera.

If a video stream can appear on the screen, it can probably be saved to a disk. The video already IS streaming. It's streaming from the camera to the screen. It's just not being captured.

I'm sure that software could be written to save the stream, but the big questions are:

1 - will anyone get around to writing this? The video generated would be of extremely low quality, so it may not be worth the effort to make it work. I'm not sure if POS has APIs to handle this so it could require a lot of programming.
    2 - would it be able to do this rapidly enough to avoid making the video worthless? It requires processing power to encode smoothly, enough RAM to provide buffer space, and fast enough disk write speeds to keep up with the stream as it comes. There could be one or more bottlenecks.
    3 - what about audio? That requires additional processor/RAM/disk IO and it may or may not be perfectly synced with the video.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

So can the Z71, but that device can't record video either...
    Still, as Fikse states, the Treo 600 does display "live" video (I'm guessing "live" is no more than 5fps here). So, it's got to be possible to record this stream.

This would be a complete hack but maybe someone could modify one of the screen capture progs out there to continuously grab the screen and use delta compression to store the bit stream.
  7.    #7  
    the sony clie's running palm os can do it....

Brooks
    But I dunno to what extent Sony altered POS for the Clie ... also, in hardware terms, I think I read that Clies (the newer, high-end ones) have separate processors for multimedia?