1.    #1  
    I think I may need to re-install Palm Desktop on my Treo 300 due to an inability to HotSync. What is involved in this process. Will all software need to be re-installed? Will data files be preserved? I also have Backup Buddy Installed. Thanks!
    A bit of this is covered in the Backup Buddy documentation. A word of warning before beginning, make copies of your important files and folders - copy your address book, date book, memo, to do folders, to new folders - they should not get over written - however... The same with your backup folder - move it to an unrelated folder and then uninstall the Palm desk top and reinstall it. As for the hot sync problem - have you checked your settings to determine what action is to be taken?

Ben
    ---------------

Originally posted by copernicus
    I think I may need to re-install Palm Desktop on my Treo 300 due to an inability to HotSync. What is involved in this process. Will all software need to be re-installed? Will data files be preserved? I also have Backup Buddy Installed. Thanks!
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by bclinger
    As for the hot sync problem - have you checked your settings to determine what action is to be taken?
    Ben,
    I appreciate your input but I'm not sure what you are referring to here. What settings can I check? I'm not at all familiar with the intricacies of Palm Desktop or Backup Buddy. Thanks.
    I believe in not asking for trouble. So, the first thing I would do is to copy the important files to a safe location on the drive - those files include but are not limited to: the address book in a folder something like:

C:\Program Files\Handspring\ClingeB\address and the files themselves: address.bak and address.dat

The datebook files, memo files, et cetera. I have inadvertantly overwritten these files a number of times and only once was I stupid enough not to copy them elsewhere. I was not a happy camper...

Also copy the backup folder to another location.

The Palm desktop has option under "hotsynch/custom" for actions it is to do - these options must be appropriately selected in order to accomplish a hotsynch. If these options are not properly selected no or the wrong action will take place.

Ben
    ---------------------

------------

I appreciate your input but I'm not sure what you are referring to here. What settings can I check? I'm not at all familiar with the intricacies of Palm Desktop or Backup Buddy. Thanks. [/B][/QUOTE]
  5.    #5  
    When I initially reinstalled Palm Desktop I did not firtst remove the program. I *believe* that alone would have re-established the Hotsync function. When the simple re-install did not work, I removed Palm Desktop using the Add/Remove in Control Panel in Win98, but when it came around to re-installing I decided to place everything on another drive. I synced the Treo with the new Palm Desktop installation, backed up the new "username" directory and copied all files from the old C:\Program Files\Handspring directory (folder) into the new Desktop directory along with the "username" directory. I didn't touch the other directorys which looked the same anyway. I did a hot reset (deleting all program files from the Treo) and synced -- everything came back as it was before except Backup Buddy (which will be easy to reinstall on the new drive). Though it is wise, of course, to backup one's data none of the install, re-installs I did affected either the programs or my data. Initially I hesitated because I was unsure if I was going to have to re-install every program and dig out the data that corresponded to each. That worry was unfounded. Everything would have probably worked perfectly if I had just replaced the entire new E:\Program Files\Handspring folder (directory) with the old C:\Program Files\Handspring directory after the removal and re-install.