1.    #1  
    I've got QuickOffice on my Treo 300 and it works great for "native" Office (Word, Excel, etc.) files. However, I've switched to OpenOffice.org and QuickOffice won't open the files, even when they are saved as .doc or .xls (the M$ extensions). M$ Office will open these document flawlessly, but QuickOffice says they aren't "native" M$ Office documents.

Has anyone else encountered this and found software that will allow you to edit OpenOffice documents on your Palm?

Thanks.
    there is an optional item you can install in OpenOffice to save documents in a Palm compatible format.. Aportis Doc format (as a .pdb file) (file --> SAVE AS, select Aportis Doc , once you install the optional files). If you re run the open office installer you can add it in (not sure where it is, you may have to dig a little).. I installed mine at the time I installed open office.. (by doing a custom install and selecting it )..

I am not sure if you can then edit the documents once they are in Aportis Doc format.. but at least you can get them there..

I use a SD card reader/writer to copy the documents directly to my flash card (I don't bother to hot sync them, but I suppose you could)..

As far as saving them as native office documents, make sure you have the right type selected when you do a save as.. just tacking on a .DOC or .XLS in the file name isn't enough (make sure you have the right "save as type" selected).. (i've seen people just tack on the .DOC and assume it will save as an office document.. ), if one of the office export types doesn't work, try Office 97 or one of the other ones..
    Last edited by EricG; 10/13/2003 at 11:26 AM.
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info. I had heard about the Aportis app, but understood that Aportis had gone bankrupt so I didn't explore it much further. The other problem with that solution is that where I really need it is in receiving docs via e-mail on my handheld. Our company is converted to OpenOffice, so I get many documents I just can't open.

I wonder if there is some licensing or other intellectual property problem where OpenOffice's .doc formats (which open great in Word) cannot be seen as "native" documents by QuickOffice.
    Other doc readers can read the aportis doc format.. so dont worry about aportis themselves..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    make sure you have the "save as type" select for the right office type.. like I said above, try different ones.. just don't tack a .DOC and the end and hope for the best.. that wont work, you need to make sure that the right "Save as type" is selected too.. i've seen people overlook that step and have problems..
  6.    #6  
    Excellent, thanks very much, I didn't know that. I have QuickOffice now so I'll try that and see if it opens the Aportis doc format.
    nice thing about openoffice is that its just that "open" , you could put in a suggestion to the open office folks, perhaps they can include some sort of native palm functionality down the road so you wont need to use QuickOffice at all.. i.e. openoffice for palm.. has a nice ring.. but that doesn't solve your immediate issues..
    Originally posted by authentication
    Excellent, thanks very much, I didn't know that. I have QuickOffice now so I'll try that and see if it opens the Aportis doc format.
    If not QuickOffice then one of the other free palm doc readers out there should be able to.. honestly I forget which one I am using (dont have my palm with me at the moment).. but its a somewhat common palm doc format..