1.    #1  
    Found Beyond Contacts 3.003 while downloading a game from another link. Has anyone tried this on any platform, but also the Treo600? Looks interesting but is pricey.
    It does look interesting. If you d/l and try, please post a review.
    Carl
    Just remember that BC will create a totally separate database of contacts, to-dos, etc - that the built-in functionality of the device(esp with dialing contacts) won't be using.
    You might end up losing a large part of the benefit of the converged device by not using the built-in Palm databases.
    I've been using Beyond Contacts on the Treo 300 (I haven't bought the 600 yet). There's a lot of stuff about it I like, and a few things that I don't like.

A few pros:
    It mimics Outlook (Contacts/Calendar/Tasks). Essentially all of the extended fields in Outlook are duplicated within Beyond Contacts. For example, if you are a big user of the Outlook Tasks, it supports all of the "hours worked", "acutal hours", etc.
    It has support for mulitple categories for an individual cal/task/contact item. These are easily sorted with the same Palm-style of dropdown on the top right corner of the screen.
    Reoccuring events are handled the same way in BC as in Outlook (and sync properly). This was a big "pro" for me.
    I don't know what the support is for the Treo 600, but on the Treo 300, you can "tap-dial" directly from the Beyond Contacts Address book (just like the Palm Address Book). Which, brings me to the cons:

The cons:
    In order to provide expanded Outlook-style functionality, DataViz could not make use of the existing core Palm databases (datebook/todo/addresses). The problem is with the Treo (and I'm sure other smartphones), the Phone App integrates the Palm Address Book database... so, you have to maintain two databases of addresses to get the full functionality of the smartphone.

To get around this, I maintain the Palm address book using this trick:
    The Beyond Contacts conduit is set for "syncronize"...making any modifications I need to within the BC Contacts or Outlook apps;
    I keep the Palm Address Book conduit set at "Desktop Overwrites Handheld" as the default. The overall effect is when you hotsync, the BC Contacts/Outlook apps "auto update" the Palm Address book. Still...it's a lot of extra overhead.

Another con is that, for full functionality with email, you really need to use the Inbox To Go component of their suite for email.

Overall:
    I would only reccommend this app only if you plan on using it as your full Palm "Office Suite"... i.e., using Beyond Contacts / InboxToGo / Documents To Go. The unofficial/internal name of Beyond Contacts is actually "Outlook To Go".

If you install/use separate apps on the Palm for all of the different functions, it would be like trying to use multiple non-integrated applications within Windows for email/addresses/calendar etc. (it would be a very annoying / disjointed process). As one basic example: If you are in your Palm Address Book and you want to email a contact you selected... How does the app know what email application you have installed? The only way this whole thing works seemlessly is to have a single vendor (or partnered vendors) to provide the product suite.

Hope this helps.
    Hello, I have a Treo 600 and Beyond Contacts from DataViz v. 3.0,

I also have Office 2000 Pro/Outlook 2000 SP-3 on my desktop.

I think that Beyond Contacts is a very good program and worth the $30 dollars.

The only technical difficulty I'm having right now is that it does not bring over the email address from Outlook.

It only brings over the Auto Full Name that is displayed in the email field of Outlook.

Beyond Contacts does not seem smart enough to understand that there is an actual email address attached to the full name in that field.

Bummer !! I hope someone comes up with a fix for this soon.
    I really need all my email address's sync'ed over for my business.

Thanks for reading and see you out there !

Brad Hoesman Real Estate One Agent Ann Arbor Michigan
    (734) 945-5626
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I tried beyond contacts and I had mixed feelings. I definitely liked all of the "extra" data it captured from Outlook vs. the built in Palm apps. I didn't like the support they had for the Treo 600 D-pad, although Dataviz said this would come 1st quarter '04.

Here are the things I REALLY didn't like:

The search algorithm Dataviz uses for the contacts application really sucks compared to the Palm Contact App. I remember only being able to search only by last name. In the built in app, I can search by first name, last name, first initial last initial all simultaneously with on the fly sorting as I type.

Currently on my Treo 600 I have the D-pad Down button mapped to the built in Contacts app when I'm in the phone application. Beyond Contacts seems to be a consolidated application therefore, I cannot map that button directly to the Beyond Contacts "Contacts" application.

These are real problems for me and though I'll miss all of that "extra" info, I choose functionality.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Originally posted by jeeter

Currently on my Treo 600 I have the D-pad Down button mapped to the built in Contacts app when I'm in the phone application. Beyond Contacts seems to be a consolidated application therefore, I cannot map that button directly to the Beyond Contacts "Contacts" application.
    I've written an app to do this. Will upload it later.
    I tried Beyond Contacts as well. liked the concept I didn't like the speed even on the treo 600 it crawls switching apps.
    The only technical difficulty I'm having right now is that it does not bring over the email address from Outlook.
    It brings all the email addresses over for me. A couple of my contacts have 3 email addresses and it brings all 3 over.

Larry
    @ Cyril

I'd love to hear some more about this app that you have written...My biggest complaint about BeyondContacts/KeySuite are they are not recognized by the onboard apps like Contacts, Caller ID, SMS, and Email. Does your app integrate the 3rd party PIM's with the native apps?
    This has the same problems as my contacts program.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    @ Cyril

I'd love to hear some more about this app that you have written...My biggest complaint about BeyondContacts/KeySuite are they are not recognized by the onboard apps like Contacts, Caller ID, SMS, and Email. Does your app integrate the 3rd party PIM's with the native apps?
    Not yet

But that kind of thing will take me a very long time unless someone donates a thousand US dollars
    So... can anyone comment further on how well the d-pad is supported by Beyond Contacts? Can Beyond Contacts be used close to it's potential without pulling out the stylus?
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    The D-Pad is not fully supported in Beyond Contacts, you will have to use the stylus a bit.

Also when you use MMail and try to add email address from contacts it searches the built in contacts list in the Treo and not Beyond Contacts database,, Bummer !

I have a correction about my earlier comment on not having email address's synced over. I was able to fix that problem and now I do get all my email address's brought over from Outlook to Beyond Contacts.

I am very pleased with Beyond Contacts and hopefully future revisions will enhance the program for use on the Treo 600.

Thanks for reading and see you out there.

Brad Hoesman Real Estate One Agent Ann Arbor, Michigan
    (734) 945-5626
    Originally posted by Robert K.
    So... can anyone comment further on how well the d-pad is supported by Beyond Contacts? Can Beyond Contacts be used close to it's potential without pulling out the stylus?
    Well I don't know about using it to its full potential without the stylus (haven't played around with it too much) but one-handed dialing using only the 5-way and the keyboard definitely is possible.

Simply enter the first letter or two of the contact's name using the keyboard until the desired contact gets highlighted, press right on the 5-way, a pop-up menu with all their numbers appears, scroll up or down with the 5-way to select the one you want and then push the center of the 5-way to dial.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 01/05/2004 at 12:43 AM.