Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All - in an effort to extend battery life and provide GREAT convenience for all users, I have found the following application which appears to work on ALL Treo's!!! However, for OS/5 and T600, you will need an OS/5 compatible hack manager like YAHM or TealMaster.

Features of this great application: It allows you to assign several parameters to automatically turn on the backlight (the keyboard backlight on color devices to be specific) based upon certain times ranges within a day (I use 7pm at night through 6am).

What does this do for you?: Glad you asked! It automatically dims the screen and turns on the k/b backlight for as long as the Treo remains on/used and will auto shutoff the backlight when the unit auto powers off. It's great!!! And for T600 owners where the k/b backlight is on pretty much anyway during use albeit with a very short timeout, it will leave the light on for the duration of your preferences set poweroff. In this mode, the screen brightness is cut in half (perfect for avoiding eye strain and fatigue) and therefore extends battery life!!! Lastly, you do not have to hit a key to get the k/b backlight to turn back on after the 15secs timeout on a T600 as it will stay on until your power preferences timeout shuts off the whole unit or you power it off!

Just set the time range for night time use and forget about it! You'll never know it's there!

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...F6C61&siteid=1
    Lee Ladisky
    typing the silver function key and the letter p does the same thing without a timer, but a pretty nice idea. thank you.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/12/2003 at 09:34 AM.
    Lee,
    Another option would be mLights:

http://www.motionapps.com/mlights.jsp

Doesn't use a hack manager but isn't free either.
    I've used it for a long time on my 270 it's great.

Should work on the 600 but don't have mine yet to test it out.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Lee,
    Another option would be mLights:

http://www.motionapps.com/mlights.jsp

Doesn't use a hack manager but isn't free either.
    I've used it for a long time on my 270 it's great.

Should work on the 600 but don't have mine yet to test it out.
    Great info, thanks! I'll test it right now and see how things go!

L
    Lee Ladisky
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Leeladisky

Great info, thanks! I'll test it right now and see how things go!

L
    Millerhifi,

It looks promising but what you will find, however, is that for some reason it doesn't set the screen brightness to 50% when the keyboard light is on. If you manually turn on the k/b backlight with the OPT+P command set, you'll notice the screen dims slightly along with turning on the backlight.

With the hack mentioned above, it does both automatically. I believe, you may get better battery life with the hack, but YMMV.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Okay.
    Yeah as mentioned I've been using it on my 270 and it does not dim the lcd display like the treo would under normal operation but just adds the backlight on the kb.

At least I know that mLights will still work when I get my 600.

Thanks,

Greg
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Okay.
    Yeah as mentioned I've been using it on my 270 and it does not dim the lcd display like the treo would under normal operation but just adds the backlight on the kb.

At least I know that mLights will still work when I get my 600.

Thanks,

Greg
    No worries Greg! I didn't do MUCH testing, so I provide no warranty ;-). I will also say this, the functionality that seems to be provided by Mlights is built-in to the T600. Without ANY of the programs installed, each time I tap the screen or keyboard, the backlight comes on and stays on for 10 secs. You may not need it if you end up short on RAM but also, if you have conflicts, it may be the first thing to try as it may be conflicting with the built-in functionality.

Let me know what you discover!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    You got it!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Thanks for the info.
    I recieved an email today from motionapps and they said that mLights is already rolled into the 600 out of the box and that they have some very cool apps coming shortly for the 600.
    I'll keep ya posted.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I just wanted to thank everyone for offering these tips on light management. SInce I got my Treo 600 delivered around sunset, this was one of the first issues I knew needed to be addressed.

So as I was waiting in line at UPS, I linked over to PalmGear and downloaded Teal Master (my old X-master isn't compatible with OS5) and GlowHack. I'm very pleased with GlowHack since I'll never have to worry again about sufficient light for night-typing and the battery is still retained. Great Program.

One tip: The hack won't take effect until you turn the power off, then back on. (just to save you the frustration ;-)
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    The Treo 650: Crisp & Clean, but the RAM is lean!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Here's another piece of software to try :

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...3&prodID=49023

Just discovered it while browsing on PalmGear. So far, works pretty well - it's sticks itself into the Prefs menu, and allows your screen to dim after a set period of time. Also let's you set a max brightness and a min brightness. Looks pretty handy dandy to me, espeically while waiting for web pages to download.
    I couldn't get glowhack to work on the 600 with YAHM hackmaster. Anyone else?
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by smartphone
    I couldn't get glowhack to work on the 600 with YAHM hackmaster. Anyone else?
    Power off the unit and then power back on.... that should solve the problem. Otherwise, try Tealmaster just to rule out a conflict of some kind.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    I'll try again with YAHM as I didn't want to pay $20 for tealmaster.

Thanks. anyone else get this to work?
  16.    #16  
    I'll try again with YAHM as I didn't want to pay $20 for tealmaster.

Thanks. anyone else get this to work?
    Actually - it may be cheaper to just purchase mLights for $8 as it doesn't require a hack manager and does the same thing. I've succumbed and moved over to their camp.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Does mLight turn the brightness down at night too? This is what's more important to me as it's blindingly bright at night.
  18.    #18  
    Does mLight turn the brightness down at night too? This is what's more important to me as it's blindingly bright at night.
    It doesn't seem to...

L
    Lee Ladisky
    I can't believe no one else finds the brightness on the 600 a bit much at night. Option P is a bit inconvenient...
  20.    #20  
    I can't believe no one else finds the brightness on the 600 a bit much at night. Option P is a bit inconvenient...
    I'm with ya Smartphone! But typically, I turn the brightness down pretty low anyway. But, I have emailed the developer of mLights and they are going to include an option to dim the screen during backlit (non power save) times. In other words, you actually tell mLights when NOT to use the backlight... and, when it uses the backlight, you will have an optional screen dimmer to use as well.

Should be in an upcoming release.

L
    Lee Ladisky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast