1.    #1  
    So what's the scoop with instant messaging on the Treo 600? Has anyone installed AIM or Verichat?

If so, how well do they function on the 600? Any particular benefits to one over the other?

Thanks!
    ~Shooter~
    I've installed both the free AIM and VeriChat 1.90b (trial), and both work well. Others have reported the free AIM crashing their phone, so YMMV. VeriChat does work well, though - just used it tonight.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I've been using verichat since yesterday. No problems at all.
    i have used verichat all day today...
    it works great...
    it was weird... i was on a call for about an hour and the messages still came through...
    andres
    Originally posted by afcuadros
    i have used verichat all day today...
    it works great...
    it was weird... i was on a call for about an hour and the messages still came through...
    Yeah, I noticed the same - but when I tried to do a "quick reply" to one, it attempted and said something to the effect of "You need to terminate your voice connection before doing this". Still pretty cool! Almost like "IM call waiting"..
    Originally posted by selicade

Yeah, I noticed the same - but when I tried to do a "quick reply" to one, it attempted and said something to the effect of "You need to terminate your voice connection before doing this". Still pretty cool! Almost like "IM call waiting"..
    ------------------------------------------

I thought you could be on the phone and still send and receive messages. Is this not true?
    you can't send any outgoing data while on a voice call.

just like if you're actively using data for instance when a web page is downloading, a voice call would immediately go to voice mail.

using verichat, IM's come to the phone as text messages. when you signup with verichat, they ask for your 5555555555@messaging.sprintpcs.com address. that way you receive replies without having a constant data connection open.

and if you exit verichat without signing off first, you'll still show as logged in to people who have you in their buddy list.
    Originally posted by rastoma
    you can't send any outgoing data while on a voice call.

just like if you're actively using data for instance when a web page is downloading, a voice call would immediately go to voice mail.

using verichat, IM's come to the phone as text messages. when you signup with verichat, they ask for your 5555555555@messaging.sprintpcs.com address. that way you receive replies without having a constant data connection open.

and if you exit verichat without signing off first, you'll still show as logged in to people who have you in their buddy list.
    That must be only on the Sprint version right... I've heard that on the GSM version a pop up asked if you would like to accept the call if you are downloading... if you chose to, then the web is placed on hold and resumes once you are off the call. Can anyone back this info up?
    that is correct - at least for GSM on T-Mobile
    as i mentioned before i use verichat, trying it out to see if i buy the yearly fee.

has anyone been able to use yahoo messenger from the sprintpcs vision menu?
    it gives me an error and ask me to go to the yahoo mobile site
    i was able to use the aol im
    and i guess that msn does not have one.

but so far i love verichat, just want to know if there are other ways of accessing im's.
    andres
    I have read in each of the manuals for GSM and CDMA you can receive and send SMS msgs. So if you chose to take a call while using the speaker phone option ... you could also text msg someone else.
    Originally posted by its_treo4me
    I have read in each of the manuals for GSM and CDMA you can receive and send SMS msgs. So if you chose to take a call while using the speaker phone option ... you could also text msg someone else.
    I know in order to send short text msgs you need to connect to the internet with Sprint... that must explain Rastoma's response... " You can't send any outgoing data while on a voice call." (right?)
    Maybe when they come out with the new SMS, this won't be the case and it may be similar to TMO.
    Originally posted by its_treo4me

That must be only on the Sprint version right... I've heard that on the GSM version a pop up asked if you would like to accept the call if you are downloading... if you chose to, then the web is placed on hold and resumes once you are off the call. Can anyone back this info up?
    CDMA carriers (Sprint and Verizon) cannot make or accept voice calls during an active data session. Nor can they send or transmit data during a voice call. This is an inherent quality of CDMA networks. GSM networks work differently and therefore at least give you the option to accept a call during an active data session. I've never used data on a GSM device so I don't know just how extensive it is, but it's impossible on CDMA. It doesn't matter what the phone can do, it's an impossibility of the network.
    Came across this thread and decided to install the trial for Verichat. Runs great so far but one question: My version seems to be running in Grayscale. Is that b/c it is a demo or something else? Anyone else's running gray?

TIA, CJ
    What version did you d/l? Im running v 1.90b in full color.
    Originally posted by AngryCPA
    What version did you d/l? Im running v 1.90b in full color.
    Thanks CPA. That's probably it. I'm running 1.76 which i dl'ed off Handango. Went to PDAapps' website and saw the new version which I'll install when I get home.

Thanks again!
    CJ
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    You may need to delete verichat first before putting the new one on. I'm not sure if it was version 1.76 or an earlier one that needed to be removed first before upgrading to a newer version.

Or you can try it and see if you have any problems.