1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    when you first connect the phone it needs to login to gprs. does the phone then stay logged on during the rest of the day?
    my xda pocketpc phone on t-mobile needs to logon every session. Sprint seems to just need to login once and then stays connected. It would be a big negative if you have to logon every time vs a persitant connection.
    On your xda if you go to setting-system-gprs suspend mode you can keep it connected all the time

Marc-Andre
    Don't think anyone here has a GMS/GPRS T-Mobile 600 yet. If I'm wrong on that let us know!
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Don't think anyone here has a GMS/GPRS T-Mobile 600 yet. If I'm wrong on that let us know!
    I have a TMO BlackBerry 7230 and the GPRS stays connected 24/7
    No offense here, but this thread needs to be moved out of the 600 category.
  6. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I've seen reviews with people using t-mo treo 600. so my question is if the treo 600 stays connected on gprs?
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BD1
    I've seen reviews with people using t-mo treo 600. so my question is if the treo 600 stays connected on gprs?
    yes
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    umm, no, you havent seen any reviews, because the phones has not shipped.

other than someone like walter mossberg who gets pre-production units, (sprint anyways) and who doesnt know gprs from his ***...there are no gsm treo reviews that i've seen- but google away and prove me wrong.

you have to be more specific with your question about gprs being "on"...

most gsm phones have their gprs indicator on, when they are data capable and provisioned correctly, but that doesnt mean that there is any kind of stateful session or information being passed to the phone...

see?

so the answer is yes- but that doesnt mean that anything is getting pushed to the phone- although, there is a standard for doing this, that none of the carriers actually use.

the exception is the rim blackberry, which of course is set up differently and is actively being pushed content by the network.

on my p800 there is also a setting for session time out, so when i have an opera browser open or something, and i switch out of it, it will automatically time out after some time that i specify...so that its not keeping my browser session (or POP session) live after a certain period of time.

the good thing though, is that you can receive a phone call while doing email, or web surfing with gprs, which apparently you cant do when connected to the sprint vision network...i believe this is because grps data is sent in multiple channels, and most phones support something like 4-8 channels on GSM...

was there a reason you were wondering, like how the email would work or something like that?
    Interesting. I have a Sidekick on T-Mobile and cannot utilize GSM and GPRS at the same time. If I have "G" (GPRS) then I can surf, use AIM, send and receive mail and so on. The instant I send or receive a phone call, it drops to GSM and I cannot utilize any data capabilies.

My understanding is that this is the way all GSM/GPRS devices work. So, you are saying that you can use both GSM and GPRS simultaneously on a device? Which device is that?
    ahh i see what you're saying about this, and yes i believe you are correct, that a call will "interrupt" or pause your data session, which if it is stateful, like a browser, or chat, you can resume after the call
    Last edited by theevaluator; 10/11/2003 at 11:55 PM.
  11. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    "there are no gsm treo reviews that i've seen- but google away and prove me wrong."

OK, here is a review in the washington post of a gsm treo 600 being tested on the t-mobile network:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...003Oct4_2.html

I have also seen many posts around the mission possible events where people were using treo 600's on t-mobile. Of course, everyone knows they have not been released to the general public but enough people are using them on t-mobile that I thought someone might know the answer.

I am asking because I want to avoid the experience on my xda where I need to reconnect everytime I start a new brower session. But it sounds like I can fix that on my xda from prospects post earlier.
    yes, of course you are correct, i guess with my mossberg comment i kinda meant "good" review of a production unit by someone who knows that they're talking about...

even then, you're probably not going to see someone going into gprs timeouts, unless its www.the-gadgeteer.com perhaps...

you looking at the xda 2 btw- or giving up on that form factor?
  13. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    The Treo 600 is much superior to the the current xda and I really like the smaller size. I am currently trying out a sprint t600 and my current xda now seems big and clunky (when I first got the xda I thought is was very slick). The one-handed operation and much better integrated phone/web software just makes the t600 a superior device!

But I am strongly leaning towards returning my Sprint t600 and getting a t-mobile or unlocked gsm treo 600 version as soon as available which is why I have been posting some questions about gsm/gprs etc.

For my use and area the gsm version seems to have more advantages (longer battery, separate voice/data during voice calles, no bulge ,2-way sms, keep my current phone number.

I have been doing some side-by-side comparsions of web browsing the same sites and the same time and I am not experiencing a meaningful difference in speed. And voice calls have had some more static on sprint.

The only advantage I see for sprint is the sprint treo 600 is available now