1.    #1  
    hi all, I am in way over my head, so here it goes:

1. How much smaller is an "ogg vorbis" file than an mp3 file?

2. is there software to turn mp3 to ogg?

3. is there software to turn wav to ogg, (such as musaic match to turn wav into mp3)?

ok here is what i want to do:

I am disabled and therefore have trouble in looking at a book or holding a book, therefore I listen to talking books recorded in a special format by the library of congress's (LOC), national library service for the blind and physically handicapped, (NLS).

currently that format is still analog and willnot go digital for a few yeras.

the books are recorded on cassettes in a monoral form thus using tracks A & B of a standard cassette as two sides and then tracks A & B of the flip side of the cassette as seperate sides. Therefore a standard cassette is flipped 4 times, and each book starts on side one and the the second cassette in the set, (if the book is long enough to go on more than one cassttee), is eactauly numbered #5!

To top it off it is reocoreded approx. 1/2 speed at 15/16 ips instead of the standard 1 7/8 ips.

We are then provided with a special tape player that is owned by the gov and then lent to us on perm. loan, and repared byt he gov if it breaks.

walkman type units are also made, whcih one can perchase if u r a member of the talking book librabry and meet the physical disabilty requirements of the program.

all machnes allow you to listen to the tapes by speeding them up bu up wo 20% with a variable adj. in addition some machines alter the sound so it does not sound like mickey mouse, by using speech compression tech.

Now i listen to up to 6 boosk a week, but a standard week is 2 to 3 books per week. Using audible's system would cost a firtune and the LOC's system is FREE.

What I have been doing is converting the wav files into mp3's by playing the modiofied cassette player into my computer and then converting them to mp3's. the quality is not great as the talking books are recorded at such slow speed that there is a great deal of wow, pop and flutter. The LOC's NLS, system does not use dolby or any other sound suppression system!

In addtion the tapes are mailed abck and forth in plastic mailers and can be used and abused by hundreds of people before you get them. They are also low in volume as the machines out put jack has very little power and applifing it distorts it due to the very slow speed of recording. The standard headphone jack also comes out to distored to convert to an MP3's.

I then trasfer them to an archos HD mp3 player.

The biggest proble of traveling when you are disabled is the extra weight and size of items you need to take. For example, I have to carry and sit on an RX back rest that was custom made for me. I cannto sleep in most beds and I have to travel with a self inflating airmattress, (yes I had to drag that to the orient with me, when I did contract work on a crusie ship, (i had to fly with it from Miami to Tokyo).

So I am looking for less to carry. Now the treo 300 will mean not just haivg to carry a cell phone, a PDA, a handheld computer, a laptop computer, a talking book player, an mp3 player, not it will all be in a small 6 oz package.

Now i will not convert all books to this format, for example, when i drive, i take the standard machine and play it thru my car's stereo. I trasfer enough books to take with me to drs. offices, the hospital, and to travel.

I should also mention that I down load audio books online form sites sucha s bearshare, lime wire, etc as well as convert standard library books on cd to mp3, but on the treo it will take up so much less space, since it has a buil in speaker, I will not just have to lsiten thru head phones, etc.

I also will be able to use a jack converter and listen to the talking books via noice suppressing headphones.

(I just read here on this site, that i can actually watch tv or movie files on the treo 600)!!!

However, I do need to know something about ogg files and how they work! Thanks and take care jay
    Somebody help this guy out!

Please
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    man I love og vorbis! it takes up way less more space & sounds virtually the same as mp3 128k. i enocde them at 64k actually. and i also use dbpoweramp to encode from mp3 to ogg vorbis. i don't think i'll need an ipod now. just a 1 or 2 gig card will do the trick! good luck
    Yep, same here

Thanks guys!

I was looking for OGG info, because I have not yet done any audio with my Treo, when I found this burried post.

I didn't know how to help him but I figured a bump would do the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    ... it takes up way less more space ...
    neo I think that fruit on your head is a little tight.

Ogg rules!
    I have a question:

What kind of software do you use to play ogg files on your Treo / Palm device?
    pocket tunes plays ogg files..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    The Core Pocket Media Player (TCMP) does as well

haha... stupid.
    Thanks. I guess I've been using Real Audio for too long