1.    #1  
    Are there any programs out there that allow voice recording? I was kinda suprised that this wasn't built in, concidering all my low tech old phones were able to do this.

i hadn't heard of one yet for the t600, just rumors of a hack might be coming and would guess one probably will, they won't let this one slip by.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    I checked out palmgear and found this app:

Audacity DVR Personal Edition 1.0

sent an email to the developer about support for the T600.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...E&prodid=51956
    voice recorder is desperately needed for this device. i'd much prefer one to the camera. this device will be close to complete with one.
    Here is a reply from them that Fofer posted in another thread

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello,

Thanks for your interest.

At the present time we are waiting for Handspring to fix a problem with
    their code. They have indicated that at some time in the future they will
    release new user upgradeable ROM code. Once they have done this we
    anticipate being able to have our application run on the Treo 600. We are
    expecting this to occur before the end of the year.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "a new upgradeable ROM?"

Does that mean they will be able to upgrade ther ROM's of the 600's already out there or not?
    Well if they do a ROM Upgrade and its done by users (not a fan of these) then they would support us too. If not they will have a large amount of defective phones and/or a lawsuit on their hands.

Why a lawsuit, simple they sold a device knowing it was not enabled features they planned to add originally out of the box. I get the feeling they jumped a month or two ahead so they could (1) meet analyst projects of a "fall" date and (2) sell it to boos their stock for the PalmOne merger.

Personally I don't care about it unless they don't provide this ROM update. But my TT last year took them months to release a ROM update to fix the music playback that was until REAL released their spyware app then the ROM was fixed. Tood bad I moved on to an NX60 by then.
    i hope someone makes one soon . . .I've got $ burning a hole in my pocket to gi e to the first developer who makes one.
  9. purpleX
    What kind of PDA can't send a simple picture with voice annotation? This is sad.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    What kind of PDA can't send a simple picture with voice annotation? This is sad.
    If it really depresses you, write the software for the rest of us. Then we can all be happy!
    The most recent response I got from Audacity Software indicates a ROM update may be very close:

Hello,

Thanks for your interest.

At the present time we are waiting for Handspring to fix a problem with their code. They have indicated that at some time in the future they will release new user upgradeable ROM code. Once they have done this we anticipate being able to have our application run on the Treo 600. We are expecting this to occur sometime in the next few weeks. We have added your e-mail address to our list of people who are interested in using our software with the Treo 600 and will notifiy you when it becomes available.

Since they are working to get this on our T600 I wonder what ohter inside info they have?
    Audacity Software emailed me again today and the other shoe dropped.

Hello,

I have just learned that Handspring might not have compatible code until next spring. Also, it is questionable as to whether or not an upgrade path will be made available to existing users. I have no information on any other potential changes to the ROM except that it should address the problem with recording software.

So I emailed Hand Spring this.

To Handspring Support:

I recently purchased the new Treo 600 and found it currently does not support a voice recorder option. I contacted Audacity Software regarding their application and was told that Handspring was aware that a ROM update was going to be needed for the Treo 600 in order to use any voice recorder applications.

The ROM update did not bother me as that is normal for a new release. However my second email response from Audacity Software indicates that the ROM update will be delayed until spring 2004 and that it was questionable as to whether or not an upgrade path will be made available to existing users. This concerned me as someone who purchased the latest high end Treo SmartPhone.

I know there are many other Treo 600 owners who are waiting to hear the answer to this question. Will there be a ROM Update for the Treo 600 and will it be made available to all Treo 600 owners. I hope the answer is yes to both, if not I would like confirmation of this prior to October 20th, 2004 so I can cancel my SprintPCS contract and return my Treo 600.

I look forward to their response.
    D'oh.... well that sucks.