1.    #1  
    Gizmodo claims that they've been told AT&T has also delayed their Treo 600 launch until November 24. Pretty weak information at this point, so take it for what it's worth...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/009375.php
    hmmm - 11/24 for T-Mobile and AT&T - and the cellular phone number portability goes into effect 11/24 - is there a pattern, a conspiracy?

"It's just a coincidence Dad"
  3.    #3  
    What possible advantage would they derive from pushing the launch until the date that number portability goes into effect? On that day, I can get a Treo 600 from any carrier I want and keep my same number (assuming it really goes into effect on that date). If they release it before that day, they're likely to get me to buy it from them and sign for another year contract. So from my perspective, waiting until number portability goes into effect would have an adverse impact on customer retention.
    > ...What possible advantage would they derive from pushing the
    > launch until the date that number portability goes into effect?...

If they need to push out the release date a few weeks then I would think it would be cost-effective to push it out to a date when OTHER PRPRPR $things$ $are$ $going$ $to$ $be$ $happening$ $big$ $time$.

2 birds with 1 stone, and all that...

(though TreoCentral folks are ga-ga about the TREO 600, you MUST remember that even Handspring STILL considers it an "early adopter" model thus it will not sell in the quantity that makes the AT&Ts of the world fall over themselves trying to promote it - as with the TREO 300/270 before it, they can sell 3 or 4 (or more!) other phones for each TREO they sell - and they make all their money from the carrier plans (words to this effect have been in HAND's financial docs for quite some time)).
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/12/2003 at 05:34 AM.