Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1.    #1  
    Just curious if it's really worthwhile anymore....
  2. randyg's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #2  
    i switched some time back from AvantGo to Vindigo. my sync times were just ballooning with AvantGo and i get more use out of Vindigo.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  3. #3  
    Just use it to download various newspapers to read when I am on the train or a plane and I cant use the wireless option.
  4. #4  
    I still use it.

    Reuters
    Business Week Online
    CNET news.com
    PDABuzz.com
    Wall Street Journal
    Yahoo!

    It randomly hangs when I use it. Not sure why yet.
  5. #5  
    I had to stop using it when I moved and had to give up the High speed internet. With dialup its rather tough to update, but I may go back to it now that I have vision to get my updates via.
  6. Exciter's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #6  
    I use it often on my 270 and will install the Palm OS 5 version when I get my 600:

    AccuWeather.com
    All the news from Reuters
    BankRate
    Bloomberg
    CNET News.com
    Edmunds.com
    FedEX
    Fidelity Anywhere
    Google
    Handspring Portal
    MapQuest - directions
    MSNBC.com Headlines
    Palm Infocenter.com
    PDAPros Little Web
    The Wall Street Journal
    Treocentral
    UPS
    USATODAY.com
    White Pages
    WorldNetDaily
    Yahoo Box Office
    Yahoo Mail
    Yahoo Movies
    Yahoo Weather
    Yellow Pages
  7. #7  
    I use Avantgo pretty extensively. Now with the Treo 600, I am exclusively sync'ing wirelessly. I had some problems getting the wireless sync running properly when I first installed on the Treo600, now works fine. My problem is that the program thinks I have a hi-res device. Anyone know where I can set the resolution?
  8. #8  
    re. Hi-Res

    Same thing happned to me. I deleted it and reinstalled it. Worked ok afterwards.

    I'll have to try to wireless sync.
  9. #9  
    I thought this service was for non-connected devices.

    Why wouldn't you just go to the specific websites directly using blazer?
  10. #10  
    one can sync avantgo sites wireless with ag connect part of avantgo.
    no problems here. with the 600 visit avantgo and download for palm os 5. once completed it's flawless and very fast.

    i use this at times just before boarding a plane were my wireless doesn't work or trains out east. all the sites at avantgo are configured for palm screens. clean/easy reading. all sites are updated at once.

    a nice program.
  11. #11  
    avantgo is great for reading a lot quickly. it would take a while to visist all the pages I have on mine.

    -posted with my new T600!
  12. Exciter's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #12  
    Originally posted by bbdwebz
    I thought this service was for non-connected devices.

    Why wouldn't you just go to the specific websites directly using blazer?

    You don't have to use your minutes or data if you have pages already downloaded to your device.

    Kirby
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Exciter



    You don't have to use your minutes or data if you have pages already downloaded to your device.

    Kirby
    Hmm, with Sprint PCS' vision plan, unlimited data for $10/month, you don't use minutes or worry about data limits anymore...
  14. #14  
    Still use it. Currently subscribed to the following:
    CNET
    NY Times Online
    Reuters US
    Sporting News
    Wall Street
    Accuweather

    I would sync either via desktop or wireless.

    I don't subscribe to hardcopy news anymore. I get all my news via Advantgo or CNN Mobile.
  15. phildro's Avatar
    Posts
    301 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    #15  
    I thought this service was for non-connected devices.
    There are several reasons, such as having all of the content already there...you can also build your own channels that go and directly pull whatever content off of webpages that you want.

    Avantgo channels are optimized for the 160x160 res of the device too. No scrolling or rendering problems. Plus, some sites have Avantgo channels but DO NOT have mobile portals.

    Also heard that Avantgo is faster than Blazer 3, but haven't confirmed that.

    Also has a mapquest interface so that you can have your directions DL'ed directly to a channel...

    I'm sure there are others...I'm just happy that the new version doesn't do a soft reset when I go in and out of coverage like the old version did.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by robert99b
    re. Hi-Res

    Same thing happned to me. I deleted it and reinstalled it. Worked ok afterwards.

    I'll have to try to wireless sync.
    i'm having the same problem and deleting/reinstalling hasn't fixed it - it thinks i'm using hires so some pages don't display right (most pages)... nasty. any more ideas how to fix?
  17. Munir's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #17  
    Even with the low-cost unlimited data, aside from optimized display of content, Avant Go is a good way to keep the data channel unused as much as possible (vs. browsing web sites), increasing the likelihood of receiving a voice call while you're reading web-based content "offline".
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by Munir
    Even with the low-cost unlimited data, aside from optimized display of content, Avant Go is a good way to keep the data channel unused as much as possible (vs. browsing web sites), increasing the likelihood of receiving a voice call while you're reading web-based content "offline".
    Now that's the best reason I've read, thanks.
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by treoZilla


    i'm having the same problem and deleting/reinstalling hasn't fixed it - it thinks i'm using hires so some pages don't display right (most pages)... nasty. any more ideas how to fix?
    You are running the latest version of AvantGo? AvantGo does not give you very many settings, so I can't imagine having to do setting somewhere.
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by robert99b


    You are running the latest version of AvantGo? AvantGo does not give you very many settings, so I can't imagine having to do setting somewhere.
    well i'm not exactly sure but wanted to see if anyone else was having a similar problem. it seems that avantgo thinks i'm running hires so some channels text and images appear distorted in that way when you view hires content on a lores device... CNET and the ONION are 2 that are especially bad...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions