Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello miradu!

recently there have been a couple of postings from frustrated european treo600 lovers, who do not see any chance to get an unlocked, unbranded treo600 here in europe for a reasonable price in the near future.

all the launch-hype is focused on the US and mainly on sprint, but here in europe we have dozens of different, very local-oriented carriers. a unlocked, unbranded device is the only chance for many users.

the options HS is offering are not too tempting at the moment for us europeans:
    - purchase from orange a branded, locked treo 600
    - purchase from treostore for 899€ - a real rip-off compared to the 399$(=338€) currently offered during the upgrade program on the HS website in the U.S
    - purchase from other retailers, who will offer the device for about 550€-700€. still a lot!
    - no upgrade discount is offered to current european treo owners!

i am asking you, to help us europeans:

treocentral has 21.000(!!) members, i guess about 20% from europe (about 4.000.) i bet that 30% of these 4.000 europeans are willing to purchase a treo600 -after all 1.000 potential buyers- in the near future.

with your and the help from treocentral we could use the purchasing power of 1.000 europeans to stress the issue at handspring directly or start a kind of "letsbuyit.com". i am pretty sure that if we place an order with a retailer or directly at HS for 1.000 units, the price per unit will come down to about 400€.

but for such an approach we need an adequate plattform like treocentral, that takes over the coordination and negotiations (of course for some remuneration).

this is my (very simple) plan, that just come across my mind. what do you think, any comment is welcome ;-)

markus
    Yes - I'm one of those people. I need to keep my Vodafone SIMs for a range of reasons, so Orange is not an option. And 900euro is way too much. I would obviously like to buy a 600 ASAP but no other vendors have information at present.
    today I contacted Marcus of treocentral fame and suggested the following:

the big thing that keeps us Non-US people from getting our hands on the upgrade treo 600 is probably the US address that we don't have. My suggestion was that we could buy 'product forwarding' from treocentral|store, get the upgrade GSM version from Handspring and have it send to a treocentral address in our names. Then treocentral could send it to our addresses. Of course, treocentral would be entitled for a small fee. But I'd be willing to pay some extra money when I look at the alternative: paying ~$1000 at treostore!

To my surprise he replied that they will look into it once Handspring releases the GSM version. Good news, I think.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get a fair chance to get our hands on an upgrade treo 600 just as our fellow US treo users do.

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Hi,

same problem, send an e-mail to sales@treocentral.com several days ago re this issue. My backup scenario is to ask one of my US-based friends to receive Treo to their addres and send it to Ukraine. But if everybody will do the same HS will see very low sales in Europe and this will make our lifes even worse :-(((
    This inequity issue should be addressed by Handspring immediately!!! It is absurd that loyal Europeans customers have to pay so much more than Americans for the same device. I have been telling Marcus and Michael (miradu) that they need to have more muscle with Handspring.

This is clearly an opportunity for that to happen. I think Handspring has got its priorities backwards. I can’t believe I was able to get a preview of a Treo 600 three months ago and I have been able to purchase a Treo 600 from Handspring at retail before TreoCentral.com even got one for evaluation to write a review with!?!

Handspring, please wake up and take care of ALL your loyal customers !?!

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/11/2003 at 03:54 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  6. AJB
    I strongly suspect that we Aussies are going to have a similar situation here. Unfortunately none of us here can get a peep out of handspring or brightpoint on even a cricket ground figure for the price.

I'm really hoping for a sub AU$1000 price on an unlocked GSM version. Given that the Aussie $ is about US$0.70 at the moment, this should be possible, but €900 is over AU$1500
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
  7.    #7  
    when ordering in the US and shipping to europe, you have to take care about the following:

- power, chargers compatibility (110/220 V)
    - VAT tax charged when importing (no issue for corporates)
    - custom duty may be charged...
    - warranty...
    Power isn't really an issue since it is designed just to charge via the USB port.
  9. AJB
    I believe (an owner please confirm) that the charger is universal, and takes "slip on" adaptors for world wide plugs.

Even with our GST, the import would be cheaper than what I suspect the local price will be. Best solution though is to wait (and wait...) and see

HS are reportedly pretty good with their warranty. Not sure if the local distributor (brightpoint) would be belligerent though. "Return it to place of purchase" would be a real pain.

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
    I do not understand what problem the original poster thought he would have.

Europeans (depending on the countries) can get it for A LOT less (with contracts) than the Americans .

I would think typical contract prices would be around $200-300 for Orange.
    http://pc-mobile.net
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    First problem is that Orange only exist in a few european countries.

Secondly, I'm not shure about other countries but I doubts its possible to get a 600 for $200-300 if want a resonable plan.

Back in february 2002 I paid $600+ for my 180g and that was with a 2 year plan........
  12.    #12  
    my problem is the following:

europe has about 45 countries, the treo600 is offered thru orange in 3 countries. so if you are living in one of these countries AND if you have a orange contract you are lucky. all other lose out..
    Hi,
    I share your frustration on this issue: I was an early adopter of the Treo (Feb 2001) and would gladly buy a T600. I use my phone for work, but although my co pays for the monthly bill, I cannot change to another provider (Orange in any case does not operate in Luxembourg); basically I am locked into my current phone co.
    Buying a Treo in the US is not an option either, as I believe they use a different range from here in Europe (pls correct if I am wrong)
    I therefore add myself to the long list of European candidates for a Treo 600 upgarde plan, on an unlocked phone.
    Handspring: please read this and take note !!!
    Due to the fact that it is quad-band phone and supports 900/1800 MHz that is radio spactrum for all European GSM operators.
    well, rumour has it that the unlocked version is about to be released. At least that some people on this board claim to know. It could be as early as Monday.

Any news on an upgrade service offered by treocentral?

To remind you I had something like this in mind: I buy a 'please forward my package to me' service from treocentral. Then I go to Handspring's site and upgrade. As address I give them my name c/o treocentral. Then Handspring ships the treo 600 to treocentral who in turn send it to my address.

andreas

Interesting idea, I'll talk to marcus about our options.
    let's take a look at the figures:

assuming a treo 600 GSM will cost $399 and that the package weights about 2 pounds. If a package of that size has to be send from the US to Germany it costs (according to USPS postage calculator) about $20 (4-10 days delivery) including a $400 insurance. Further let's assume that Handspring adds $11 postage and treocentral a fee of $20.

In total I'd have to pay $410 to Handspring and $40 to treocentral which makes $450. At the current exchange rate that makes roughly EUR 400. German custom will add 16% VAT, so I'll end up with a EUR 460 bill. Adding a few fees and extra costs here and there it will still be less than EUR 500 and way more less than the 850-900 EUR I'd have to pay for it here in Germany.

Of course there are some problems: does Handspring want you to receive al those treos or would they rather have a lot of new addresses they can use in ad campaigns? Who will take care of the warranty? What if a package gets lost?

Honestly, I'd be happy if treocentral could offer something like this and would glady take advantage of it.

andreas

I fully agre with initial point of this thread.

Indeed it is really lack of equity for worldwide HS customers. We have been supporting HS effort in smartphone sector since the beginning, why should we pay double price of others !!!

I am using my TREO180 for nearly 2 years (ordered on 10 february 2002!) in east africa and indian ocean where handspring has no known agreement with local mobilephone service providers, and now I can't get rebate with handspring despite my loyalty !

Handspring.com and .fr and .it and .de should really offer a cheap unlock treo 600, available in each european, african, and asian countries.

When will we get a real rebate for treo owners worldwide?
    I hope you will find an appropriate solution.

Benoit in Kenya.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by treopolis
    let's take a look at the figures:

assuming a treo 600 GSM will cost $399 and that the package weights about 2 pounds. If a package of that size has to be send from the US to Germany it costs (according to USPS postage calculator) about $20 (4-10 days delivery) including a $400 insurance. Further let's assume that Handspring adds $11 postage and treocentral a fee of $20.

In total I'd have to pay $410 to Handspring and $40 to treocentral which makes $450. At the current exchange rate that makes roughly EUR 400. German custom will add 16% VAT, so I'll end up with a EUR 460 bill. Adding a few fees and extra costs here and there it will still be less than EUR 500 and way more less than the 850-900 EUR I'd have to pay for it here in Germany.

Of course there are some problems: does Handspring want you to receive al those treos or would they rather have a lot of new addresses they can use in ad campaigns? Who will take care of the warranty? What if a package gets lost?

Honestly, I'd be happy if treocentral could offer something like this and would glady take advantage of it.

andreas

you can save the 16% VAT by ordering thru a company.

markus
    I have a small consulting company (s-corporation) that I could do the handling and shipping for you. I'm in the Boston area.

I think that you could place the order with Handspring using your first and last names in the appropriate ordering fields. You could then fill in my corporation on the company name field, and it could be mailed to me. I then would know who to send the package to and would rewrap and mail it to you as a personal item (gift) to hopefully try and avoid the tax.

Let me know what you think....

Rob
    Last edited by robcorn; 10/31/2003 at 12:29 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast