Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I'm a member of a couple of different forums; namely SprintUsers, PDAphonehome, and howardforums. I just registered and this is my first post at treocentral. I have the Samsung i500 now and will be picking up the Treo 600 (and returning my i500) very shortly.

My question is this: Can you force Digital Roam? From the looks of the user's guide you can't, but does anyone know of any programming codes or non-normal methods of allowing this to be done? On all my previous phones and smartphones, I've had the option to force roam (albeit, analog roam); and on my Samsung i330 I got it to be able to force digital roam.

I'm looking to do this because there is this one room in my office building that gets poor Sprint service every phone I've had in the past will fade in and out of service. I would much rather be able to force the phone to digital roam so that I will not have trouble making or receiving calls.

(I have the Free & Clear America plan with no roaming charges.)

I appreciate your time!

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  2.    #2  
    bump..
    Lucky you on the F&CA wth no charge roaming as they dropped it or won't offer it in my area really annoying. But today I was using it and stayed mostly in SPCS range, but did roam briefely on VzW (have them too) and this phone is digital only so I don't really follow why you want to force digital roaming, all you need to do is set it to roam. Or did I miss the real question?
  4.    #4  
    PalmMD,

I am looking to FORCE it to Digital Roam because in this one room in my office, Sprint signal is very weak and fades in and out of service and digital roam. If I could FORCE my phone over to Digital Roam in this room, it will stay on Verizon and get service just fine without constantly going back and forth between Digital Roam and Sprint. It doesn't look like you can FORCE a roam call with the Treo 600, but I'd love to know if there's a code or hack or back-door way to do this.

-M-
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    yea with the phone being only digital then all you would have to do is tell the phone to roam.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    yea with the phone being only digital then all you would have to do is tell the phone to roam.
    Haha, but HOW do you tell the phone to roam?? The "Enable Digital Roaming" checkbox only ALLOWS the phone go to digital roam, it doesn't FORCE it to Digital Roam. Is there any way, button, or option I can check off to make it so the phone DOES NOT operate on the 1900mhz Sprint band but on the 800mhz CDMA (mostly Verizon) band?

-M-
    Originally posted by modma

Haha, but HOW do you tell the phone to roam?? The "Enable Digital Roaming" checkbox only ALLOWS the phone go to digital roam, it doesn't FORCE it to Digital Roam. Is there any way, button, or option I can check off to make it so the phone DOES NOT operate on the 1900mhz Sprint band but on the 800mhz CDMA (mostly Verizon) band?

-M-
    Ask me in a week once I have mine
    PalmMD,
    Just a quick note. It was my understanding you are in NY. I checked with my Sprint rep and he said the "PCS Free and Clear America" plans are offered EVERYWHERE. It has changed a little since we first talked about it. Now you sign up for a regular plan and "bolt on" the now FIVE DOLLAR roaming charge, not ten. Then you can roam as you need. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
    P.S. I would have PM'd that to you but I'm posting from my Treo and I don't see that option on here.
    modma, how did you force the i330 to digitally roam?
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by i330
    modma, how did you force the i330 to digitally roam?
    I don't know how, but somehow I erased the PRL (when I would go into the About Phone menu, it would say "Default PRL" instead of SPRL: 10020). After that, whenever I set my roaming prefs to "Sprint" it would use Sprint service only, and whenever I set it to "Automatic" it would switch (right away, and stay there) to Verizon 800mhz. The caveat to this was it was either one or the other, I couldn't set it to do Sprint first then if no service goto Verizon.

(...and since I still have my 330, I wonder how much it would go for on ebay)

-M-
    bump
    I would also be interested in forced roaming.

- In my home, my treo 600 gets poor reception (only one bar) on the Sprint Network, and the sound cuts in and out.

-When I switch the "Digital Roaming" option on, the treo still remains on the Sprint Network, with poor reception of only 1 bar.

-It is only when the Treo has no Sprint Network reception at all (i.e. no bars) does it actually switch to roaming.

-I would like to "force" digital roaming when my phone is getting poor one-bar reception on the Sprint network. Does anyone know if this is possible?
    Come now folks...surely we can figure this out...

BUMP
    Come on guys, you're going to have to give up on this one. There is no way Sprint is gonna put in a way to automatically allow you to roam (it would cost Sprint a LOT more money if somebody figured this out).

The only way I can propose to do this, is to place the phone in a lead shield so that it just gets enough signal from Verizon but not Sprint. Then make your call. (some of you medical folks ought to be able to get an old lead apron from the radiology dept., right?)
    I actually wanted to do the opposite today; I roamed to Verizon and wanted to get back on Sprint. I learned the hard way today that data service is not available while roaming to Verizon, even if you're in 1xRTT verizon territory. When I left the building I wanted to switch back so I could get on the Web. The only way to do it was to turn off/on the phone sub-system.

-A
  16.    #16  
    Bump.

I'll throw $30 in a pool for anyone who can write a software program to do this. How about fooling the phone into thinking there is no 1900mhz signal?

-M-
    I'm in for $20.
    Serving those who have served Honorably. Marine For Life www.m4l.usmc.mil
    This is starting to sound like the Compact Flash driver contest they had over at ClieSource.....
  19.    #19  
    Well, we have $50 in the pool so far, and I'm sure others with Sprint Treo 600's would find this program (if created) infinitely useful when they are in an area with marginal Sprint service and would like the ability to force Digital Roam. I hope others will donate to the cause as well should someone develop such a program!

PLEASE! PLEASE! Someone develop it! There's got a be a way to fool the phone into thinking there's no 1900mhz signal out there!

Thanks in advance, again!
    -M-
    I'll gladly pay about $20 more for this feature depending on the quality. If it works completely flawlessly, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $50 on this as that would allow me to dump Verizon entirely and my monthly savings would be about $50/month.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast