1.    #1  
    Anyone tried to load the free acrobat reader yet? The latest version from Adobe says its for Palm 3, it loads fine but I have tried to read three different PDF files resulting in soft resets after they download and activate the reader.

Looks to me like we'll have to wait for Adobe to upgrade thier software for Palm 5 or Treo specifically.
    Originally posted by weisshb
    Anyone tried to load the free acrobat reader yet? The latest version from Adobe says its for Palm 3, it loads fine but I have tried to read three different PDF files resulting in soft resets after they download and activate the reader.

Looks to me like we'll have to wait for Adobe to upgrade thier software for Palm 5 or Treo specifically.
    I wonder what it is that we get in Palm OS5 that compensates for all the things that do not work under it. Pocket PC looks better every minute.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Acrobar Reader was one of the first things I installed because I work with lots of PDFs. The viewer (version 3.05) works fine on the T600. If you're reading through a long PDF and in the middle switch to another application, it remembers the page you left off at so you don't have to scroll down from the top to continue reading later on.

There is a desktop-side application that gets installed which down-samples regular PDF files before synching over to the device. You just drag and drop PDFs file you want on your Treo to it.
  4.    #4  
    I didn't downsze from the PC app, I just tried to read a PDF file from the web and it blew up every time.
    Has anyone gotten the adobe Support Palm Acrobat App to work properly on thier TREO 600?
    The Latest verions (3.05) never even see's my TREO 600 during sync. I uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times.
    Anyone with a similar prob have a suggestion?
    I probably should have mentioned that I'm using MAC OS X as well. (10.3 Panther)
    Thanks!
    Last edited by ewrrod; 12/04/2003 at 07:10 PM.
    I just installed Acrobat Reader for PalmOS ver 3.0 and it seems to be working fine. I used the desktop component to downsize a pdf file and it seemed to work OK. The only think is that it doesn't seem to natively support the expansion card? So I manually moved the sample pdf file using FileZ to the palm/launcher directory on my SD card. I then re opend Acrobat reader and it seemed to find the file fine. The only negative is that it is very sloooow to read from the SD card. I don't know if it's my card or the app, but I'm leaning towards the Acrobat reader since my other apps don't take so long to read from the card. Anyway, it seems to work fine and shoudl be usable for occasional pdf viewing...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    No success here either. Using the OSX Version and it never sees the hotsync. Really need to view PDF's any other choices?
    Originally posted by weisshb
    I didn't downsze from the PC app, I just tried to read a PDF file from the web and it blew up every time.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $cannot$ $read$ $native$ $PDF$ $files$ $on$ $a$ $Palm$ $device$ $with$ $any$ $reader$. $The$ $Acrobat$ $Reader$ $for$ $Palm$ $only$ $reads$ $the$ $pdf$'$s$ $that$ $have$ $been$ &$quot$;$downsized$&$quot$; $with$ $the$ $desktop$ $component$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $at$ $this$ $time$ $that$ $there$ $is$ $any$ $way$ $to$ $read$ $pdf$'$s$ $directly$ $from$ $the$ $web$ $browser$.
    Originally posted by dougef
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $cannot$ $read$ $native$ $PDF$ $files$ $on$ $a$ $Palm$ $device$ $with$ $any$ $reader$. $The$ $Acrobat$ $Reader$ $for$ $Palm$ $only$ $reads$ $the$ $pdf$'$s$ $that$ $have$ $been$ &$quot$;$downsized$&$quot$; $with$ $the$ $desktop$ $component$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $at$ $this$ $time$ $that$ $there$ $is$ $any$ $way$ $to$ $read$ $pdf$'$s$ $directly$ $from$ $the$ $web$ $browser$.
    My understanding and experience too. The file on the Palm OS device is not a true pdf put a Palm OS object that was created on the desktop by the pre-processor.
    Regarding Panther, installing Palm Desktop creates a conduit folder which is owned by the system, and which an administrator can't modify. The effect of this is that the Adobe program can't modify it either. Without the necessary modifications, Adobe Reader can't join in the syncing.

To fix the problem, change permissions on the conduit folder. The folder is (hard drive)/library/application support/palm hotsync/conduits. Use Get Info to change the owner of the folder to your administrator account, so you have read-write access. To be safe, you can then change permissions on your user group to read-write, then change the owner back to the system. Then install Adobe Reader. It should work.
    Acrobat works fine for me on my Treo600. The speed seems fine, too (reading files from the card). Of course, everything seems a bit slow compared to my T3, but it's ok....

I have version 3.05....
    algernon, who is better than you?

thanks!
    It shrinks my file to be viewed as the whole page in the window. Is there any way to blow it up to a larger size so I can read this?

JC
    Has anyone tried using Dataiz's DTG6 to view PDF files? I'm not sure if it needs to be converted or not...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions