Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What laucher apps are people using? I have only tried Launcher X and it seems to have some issues. Two soft resets and the 5 way does not seem to work as expected.

Please keep this thread alive.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Originally posted by Wirelessness
    What laucher apps are people using? I have only tried Launcher X and it seems to have some issues. Two soft resets and the 5 way does not seem to work as expected.

Please keep this thread alive.
    I don't know how it works on the Treo 600 but "One Button Pro" is an excellent launcher.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I have had launcher X on t600 for a week now and no resets. I used to use megalauncher on my t300 and that had major issues on the 600.

I am very pleased with launcher x and even registered since I have had no problems.
    Does the 5 way nav work properly on launcher X?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    5 way works for moving amongst categories but not to select an app. still have to tap. it works in contacts and all other apps so no conflicts there. as far as i can tell it only does not work in selecting an app.
    I'm hoping that once its been out for a few weeks the developers will start to put that feature into the new versions!
    I think the 600 you can set up for holding a single key down to launch an app. Isn't that the bestapplication launcher? Why use another program.
    I did a comparo yesterday between:

LauncherX
    Zlauncher
    Megalauncher
    Silver Screen

I took notes but I can't find them right now. I can tell you that none of them worked perfectly with the 5 way pad. Megalauncher gets the worst score since it didn't have a low res color version(I could only see the upper left hand part of the screen!). LauncherX worked well with no problems unless I used some of the gadgets at the bottom (still no support in selecting apps with the pad). One gadget in particular (the settings I think) would soft reset every time. Silver Screen and Zlauncher worked best but lacked perfect support for the 5 way pad.
    All of them removed the signal strength antenna from the page. Folks, we're not there yet...
    Originally posted by george_vc
    I think the 600 you can set up for holding a single key down to launch an app. Isn't that the bestapplication launcher? Why use another program.
    It works nicely, but there are limits on the number of these you can have. Unfortunately the sum total of favorites (speedials, apps, urls (not the same as Blazer bookmarks), messages) can be 50.
  10.    #10  
    I would have to agree with sbpooch. I did the same tests. I will stick with the built in app launcher for now. The added features and custom look and feel are not more important than the 5 way nav.

I will also take a look at the one Jake suggested and get back.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
  11.    #11  
    Facer Launcher has no support for 5 way nav.
    Palm Pre
  12.    #12  
    1-Button Pro is not really what I am looking for. I see how it could be useful on a Treo 300 though.

Maybe we need to apply some pressure to some of these developers.
    Palm Pre
    Originally posted by sbpooch
    I did a comparo yesterday between:

LauncherX
    Zlauncher
    Megalauncher
    Silver Screen

I took notes but I can't find them right now. I can tell you that none of them worked perfectly with the 5 way pad. Megalauncher gets the worst score since it didn't have a low res color version(I could only see the upper left hand part of the screen!). LauncherX worked well with no problems unless I used some of the gadgets at the bottom (still no support in selecting apps with the pad). One gadget in particular (the settings I think) would soft reset every time. Silver Screen and Zlauncher worked best but lacked perfect support for the 5 way pad.
    All of them removed the signal strength antenna from the page. Folks, we're not there yet...
    Silver Screen III works great...however he's right, no 5 way button support...so I might be dumping silver.
    Originally posted by Wirelessness
    1-Button Pro is not really what I am looking for. I see how it could be useful on a Treo 300 though.

Maybe we need to apply some pressure to some of these developers.
    Hi Wirelessness!

Ideally what features exactly are you looking for in an ideal launcher for a Treo 600?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  15.    #15  
    I like Launcher X or MegaLauncher. I like the ability to separate apps by tab, hide tabs, use custome colors for each, have common utilitys available on the main screen and use skins. Stuff like that. You should be able to access every icon and feature with the 5 way nav button. So far I have tried every launcher program I know of and non have worked with the 5 way nav. Many will load and work fine with the stylus but that is not enough.
    Thanks!!!
    Palm Pre
    I emailed Pocket Sensei about Silverscreen. Since the T600 is OA 5 but LoRes, and 11.5bit (read the owners manual, wow 11.5bit really gotta wonder) and they said:

"Thank you for using SilverScreen. The Treo 600 is a brand new device and is not yet available in all areas.

We will be providing support for this in the coming months. No date is yet available."

So if you want SS to support it you need to email them on it. My past experience is they are slow, but make a good product. It took too long for V3.0 to hit the streets.

LauncherX, was supposed to be great, BUT, where are the updates, support and features that were promised. Coming up on 1 Year since its laucnh with ZERO updates. He is raking in the money with no delivery of promised features. So I wouldn't expect 5 way pad support there.

I also emailed the ZLauncher Developer and he is working on features.

One feature I would like for a ZLaucher, YiShow is the ability to change back grounds (like you do in PPC) but that is a tough one I am sure.
    I sent an email to LauncherX support, they promptly replied that they will be updating their software to support the 600:

"Yes! Bozidar Benc, the main developer, said he is planning to add support for the Treo 600. He didn't say how long it would take. Keep your eye on the top FAQ at our Web site, which we will update when the release is available. He's very impressed with the device, by the way."
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    You mean he is still out there. After nearly a year and no updates there had better be more than just a suppor for the Treo 600. He has lost alot of trust with not releasing updates, features (that were promised) and in general lack of repsonse.
    Tell me about it!
    I was blown away, I sent an email Saturday inquiring about the 600 compatibilty and Sunday morning had a reply in my inbox........
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I'm not all that interested in a replacement "Home" launcher, I think the 600 home button with the launcher works great. I would like more single or option-key app or dial options. At least, when in the phone pad you should be able to do two-key short cuts. So if I have a friends Bill Jones and Bill Smith I could use bs or bj and hold the last letter to autodial.

Also, if you could add hold-down app launching for the main 4 buttons you could double the quick launch capabilities. So option-holdDownPhone would launch something other than the phone. Do any of the launchers being discussed have this capability and are stable?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast