1.    #1  
    The TREO 600 arrived one day (two days if you count the first lost "paper order") after ordering. Wonderful helpful and pleasant folks (even if not particularly sharp) at Sprint.

Dealing with Spint AFTER THE SALE has been HELL.

My unit has a defective microphone/speaker (tinny vibrations on all sounds, including ringers).

Let me preface this with the comment that I have been a long-time supporter of Palm (III & Vx).

First suggestion: Take it to a store, and after they verify it is defective, they will replace it.

Problem: The store have not even seen the unit and have none in stock (I know because I was there today buying a new phone for my daughter).

Second Suggestion: Buy another phone and we will charge you for it. We can't verify that we would have a replacement unit in stock (even though the number I called was the same that sold it to me on Sales).

Problem: Spending $600 for a phone that is defective on arrival does not inspire me to order another one.

Third Suggestion: Okay, we will have a supervisor call back but it may be a couple of hours. ... three hours later -- no call back.

Problem: When I call back, Sprint records shows "someone called back". Unless the ringer is defective (which I tested and it is not), they lied.

My own suggestion -- call Handspring: Handspring will not even talk to you if you bought it through Sprint.

So if you buy what, at least according to the specs, is a wonderful machine, stay away from ordering it directly from Sprint. It looks to me that Handspring shipped all their defective beta units to sell.

It is a wonderful device -- IF you get one that works.
  2.    #2  
    Oops!

I forgot to mention that the camera photo quality is pretty poor (out of focus and grainy) even though I did not buy the phone for this pupose. If you are considering it for photo quality, there are better units out there.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I had the same problem. The first Treo I got from Sprint Telesales had a defective speaker that sounded tinny and when you shook the phone, something was actually rattling around inside. I purchased a second Treo from Telesales and returned the defective one for a refund. The second phone is solid as a rock and my initial disappointment has disappeared. I hope the credit for the first defective returned phone appears on my credit card statement! Get a replacement... you won't be sorry. I am a Palm OS user, but this is the first Handspring product I've purchased. So far, I am very happy with it. It is a big improvement over the Samsung I330 I've been using. I have gotten used to carrying a palm/phone combo device and now I can't do without it. BCA
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Same exact issue on mine.. Customer service was perfect to me, issued me an immediate second phone (which happened to be the wrong phone.. so I got a G-1000) - and when called on it they admited their mistake, and sent out a third phone immiedately to repalce the Treo. Awaiting phone #3.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. I reached a second person in Sprint telesales who seemed to have a little more IQ than the first one last night. She said shipping was closed until Monday, but for me to give them a call then and it would be staightened out.

Three questions to those that have gotten replacement phone via Sprint:

1. What's the easiest way to transfer all your stored contacts, e-mail and settings to the new phone (when I get it)?

2. How do you securely erase all info in the old defective phone?

3. Finally, is it possible just to return the defective unit to a local Sprint store and get a refund credit there?

I will be interested to hear how quickly those credits get posted to your accounts!

Thanks again for the info.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    ok, I'm having problems with my T600 as well. The speaker while on phone calls (not the speakerphone, just the handset speaker while up to the ear) is very distorted, even at high volumes....

My second problem is that my headset has a very annoying echo that gets worse the higher I set the volume! It's so annoying that it's difficult to speak using a headset!

Anybody else seeing one or both of these problems?
  7.    #7  
    The first Treo I got from Sprint Telesales had a defective speaker that sounded tinny and when you shook the phone, something was actually rattling around inside.
    I just shook mine. I hear the rattle as well.
    Are any of these units direct from Handspring or all they all from Sprint?
    I ordered direct from Handspring and will get my 600 Monday or Tuesday. I don't relish the thought of going through the defective return dance.
    Zane
    Is the rattling you guys are experiencing from the buttons, or something inside the device?

When you guys are mentioning the "tinny" sound... is that for all sounds (even the polymorphic ringers n such)? Or just on speaker-phone or the ear speaker?

- Leo
    Originally posted by PalmAddict
    Thanks for the replies. I reached a second person in Sprint telesales who seemed to have a little more IQ than the first one last night. She said shipping was closed until Monday, but for me to give them a call then and it would be staightened out.

Three questions to those that have gotten replacement phone via Sprint:

1. What's the easiest way to transfer all your stored contacts, e-mail and settings to the new phone (when I get it)?

2. How do you securely erase all info in the old defective phone?

3. Finally, is it possible just to return the defective unit to a local Sprint store and get a refund credit there?

I will be interested to hear how quickly those credits get posted to your accounts!

Thanks again for the info.
    1. you should get yourself a palm backup card. you'll want one . you can back up all your current data to it.

2. Do a hard reset once you've backed it up. see manual.

3. i doubt it. sprint should be sending call tags if your doing an exchange
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by zvandiver
    Are any of these units direct from Handspring or all they all from Sprint?
    Mine was from Sprint. As far as I know, the others are as well.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by leobag
    Is the rattling you guys are experiencing from the buttons, or something inside the device?

When you guys are mentioning the "tinny" sound... is that for all sounds (even the polymorphic ringers n such)? Or just on speaker-phone or the ear speaker?

- Leo
    The rattling is internal when shaken. The tinny sound appears to be some part internal vibrating both on speakerphone and on ringers of all types, including polymorphic. Additionally, trying to record a voice mail greeting left a basically unintelligible recording.
    Originally posted by PalmAddict

The rattling is internal when shaken. The tinny sound appears to be some part internal vibrating both on speakerphone and on ringers of all types, including polymorphic. Additionally, trying to record a voice mail greeting left a basically unintelligible recording.
    Never noticed this before this thread. When I shake mu phone, the buttons rattle a bit. When I touch them, however, I do not notice any play.

How does this compare to what you're all experiencing?
    Originally posted by MHR
    I have button rattle with the top "wireless on/off" button.

On the other hand, the mute switch up top is nice and tight. No rattling on the keyboard/5-way.

- Leo
    Last edited by leobag; 10/11/2003 at 07:52 PM.
  15.    #15  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by leobag
    Originally posted by MHR
    /QUOTE] I have button rattle with the top "wireless on/off" button.

On the other hand, the mute switch up top is nice and tight. No rattling on the keyboard/5-way.

- Leo [/B]
    Leo,

You have identified the rattle -- it's the play in the "wireless on/off" button. I don't think this is related to the tinny sound reported earlier on the defective Sprint phones on speakerphone and mike.

Thanks for the info. At least now we know the button rattle may be "natural".
    Originally posted by BCA2812
    I hope the credit for the first defective returned phone appears on my credit card statement!
    I wouldnt count on that credit for 4 to 6 weeks, that is Sprints MO for returning money.