Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright...I don't have a Treo600 yet, but I've been reading all this stuff about there being no on screen input method for graffiti?!! IS this true?! I was under the impression that G2 offered a standard option to input anywhere on the screen similar to RecoEcho+ on the Treo300? Could someone with a Treo 600 PLEASE clarifiy this?

Anyway, if true, it seems Handspring has once again repeated the same error that it made with the Treo270/300 when it didn't initially bundle an on screen graffiti app. It of course rectified this later on by providing RecoEcho+ from CIC as a free download for all Treo users. However, that solution no longer possible since RecoEcho is NOT OS 5.x compatible! In anycase, I was wondering what experiences anyone here has had with other Graffiti alternatives to recoEcho like the following which will allow on screen graffit input. The good thing about Newpen and Graffiti Anywhere is that they are both FREEWARE and OS 5 compatible!!!

Graffiti Anywhere (FREEWARE)
    Newpen (FREEWARE)
    CIC Jot

IMO, GA may be the best solution for Treo600 users b/c its efficient and free! Also, PIC did a great review of these products in their The Great Input Showdown . I hope this helps...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2. purpleX
    I thought thumboard was supposed to be the one to end all PDA input?
    Believe it or not this is the worst problem I've found with the Treo 600 so far I'm a die-hard Palm user and always want my Graffiti. I probably only use it 5% of the time on my 270, but dammit I still want it to be there when I need it!

Likewise I thought Graffiti 2 was part of OS 5... Why HS didn't include it is beyond me... maybe they paid less for licensing by leaving it out? Maybe they thought it's "less confusing" to some non-techie users this way? I don't get it.
    Not that I'm trying to foist my own opinions on others, but Funk - do you find that you use Graffiti that much on your current treo? I never use it or need it. I mean never. I moved over Jot from my 6035 over to my 300, and then took it off a few months into using the 300. It's been almost a year and I NEVER missed it.
    I guess my point is - all this hubbub about no Graffiti is totally lost on me - I never used it when I had it on my 300.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by silverado

Likewise I thought Graffiti 2 was part of OS 5... Why HS didn't include it is beyond me... maybe they paid less for licensing by leaving it out? Maybe they thought it's "less confusing" to some non-techie users this way? I don't get it.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $G2$ $API$ $is$ $supposed$ $to$ $allow$ $on$ $screen$ $input$ $anywhere$ $on$ $the$ $screen$...$just$ $like$ $the$ $3rd$ $party$ $apps$ $I$ $mentioned$. $However$, $it$ $seems$ $HS$ $may$ $not$ $have$ $implemented$ $this$? $Maybe$ $some$ $one$ $with$ $more$ $PalmOS$ $programming$ $experience$ $may$ $clarify$ $this$...

In any case, have you tried GA or Newpen? I think those should work fine on the Troe600...let me know how your experiences are....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There is usually no need for Graffiti with my 270 but I use it occasionally. First, I use it when I take my stylus out! If I need to take the stylus out for some reason, I don't want to use the keyboard anymore. It's a lot more natural to use only the stylus when you are already holding it in your hand. They probably figured that with the T600, since people will take out the stylus far less frequently, that they should just not include G2.

I also use it in situations when I don't want to look down at the Treo while I'm taking notes.

I think it is rediculous to have a touch screen only for tapping. I hope they issue a patch with Graffiti 2 soon!!!
    on my 300. I also moved to the Treo from KYO6035. I debated on whether to install Recoecho but had downloading problems. So I decided to go without graffiti. I used to impress friends with graffiti since I was pretty good at it. But after a week with just the thumboard, I didn't miss graffiti at all.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $G2$ $API$ $is$ $supposed$ $to$ $allow$ $on$ $screen$ $input$ $anywhere$ $on$ $the$ $screen$...$just$ $like$ $the$ $3rd$ $party$ $apps$ $I$ $mentioned$. $However$, $it$ $seems$ $HS$ $may$ $not$ $have$ $implemented$ $this$? $Maybe$ $some$ $one$ $with$ $more$ $PalmOS$ $programming$ $experience$ $may$ $clarify$ $this$...

In any case, have you tried GA or Newpen? I think those should work fine on the Troe600...let me know how your experiences are....
    I haven't programmed Palm OS recently, so I can't answer the first question.

I don't have a 600 yet, so I can't try any of these alternatives.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    Not that I'm trying to foist my own opinions on others, but Funk - do you find that you use Graffiti that much on your current treo? I never use it or need it. I mean never. I moved over Jot from my 6035 over to my 300, and then took it off a few months into using the 300. It's been almost a year and I NEVER missed it.
    I guess my point is - all this hubbub about no Graffiti is totally lost on me - I never used it when I had it on my 300.
    Well, I ended up still using graffiti b/c the thumbboard wasn't very well integrated into the Treo300. I always ended up taking the stylus out for some reason, and once it was out I just continued using it for whatever I was doing...Perhaps my habits will change once I get my hands on the Treo600! Anyway, I think its important to have options. Ritemail is a good example where graffiti is still useful when you want to email hand written notes! Also, I've used graffiti so long that I guess it overly irks me when it's not there...sorta calms the nerves knowing its still there.

P.S. Hey did you guys notice that GA and Newpen still use classic graffiti and not G2!

I have tried both Newpen and Graffiti Anywhere and I can not get either of them to work. There seems to a problem with the recognition of certain characters. I used Newpen on my T300 and it worked fine. Some problem with the digitizer?
    Originally posted by Starlord III
    I have tried both Newpen and Graffiti Anywhere and I can not get either of them to work. There seems to a problem with the recognition of certain characters. I used Newpen on my T300 and it worked fine. Some problem with the digitizer?
    The Treo 600 uses PalmOS 5.2 which uses Graffiti II for input. Graffiti II strokes are different from the strokes used in the original Graffiti. Are you using Graffiti I or II strokes? Check out the following page for a quick primer on Graffiti II if you are unsure.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $on$ $screen$ $input$ $in$ $Graffiti$ $II$ $is$ $turned$ $off$ $by$ $default$. $The$ $API$ $should$ $be$ $there$; $it$ $seems$ $like$ $it$ $would$ $be$ $more$ $work$ $to$ $take$ $it$ $out$ $than$ $to$ $just$ $leave$ $it$ $in$. $My$ $guess$ $is$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $still$ $there$ $but$ $Handspring$ $simply$ $left$ $it$ $turned$ $off$ $and$ $didn$'$t$ $bother$ $to$ $put$ $any$ $applet$ $that$ $could$ $turn$ $it$ $on$ $the$ $Treo$ $600$. $GA$ $or$ $Newpen$ $should$ $work$ $and$ $if$ $not$, $Jot$ $should$ $definitely$ $work$.
    Originally posted by silverado
    There is usually no need for Graffiti with my 270 but I use it occasionally. First, I use it when I take my stylus out! If I need to take the stylus out for some reason, I don't want to use the keyboard anymore. It's a lot more natural to use only the stylus when you are already holding it in your hand. They probably figured that with the T600, since people will take out the stylus far less frequently, that they should just not include G2.

I also use it in situations when I don't want to look down at the Treo while I'm taking notes.

I think it is rediculous to have a touch screen only for tapping. I hope they issue a patch with Graffiti 2 soon!!!
    I agree with you completely. I usually use Graffiti for shortcuts and for that odd character whose position on the keyboard I can never remember but whose Graffiti stroke is burned into my brain from years of use. The ampersand (&) is an example of just such a character. I can never remember what I'm supposed to type to create an ampersand (for the record, it's under the + sign) but I can never forget the Graffiti stroke for it. So it's much easier for me to just pull out my stylus and do it in Graffiti than to search through the Keyboard help to find out how to make one. Similarly with shortcuts, you have to type an "s", press the listype button and, press the down arrow four times before you can create the shortcut symbol. For me, it's just easier to pull out my stylus and do it in Graffiti.
    I posted this over on the T600 vs. i500 comparison thread, but...

In brief, I thought T600 was going to have Grafitti or something, but it doesn't. I bought 'JOT' from Handango to remedy this. JOT allows either "JOT" mode or G2 mode. G2 crashed the Treo every time I switched it on. Jot wouldn't recognize much of anything. I am in the process of returning it.

The good news is that the keyboard turns out to be very usable, and really even preferable. I find myself thumbing with the stylus between two fingers at the ready. I am finding that with the 5-way pad, it takes a while to maneuver over to the particular link or button you want to click; far faster with the stylus! So far, I am really content to use the Treo in this "dual" manner.
    the comment about the ampersand (&) got me thinking about another reason I don't end up needing the stylus, and thus, Graffiti. On my 300, I use CorrectHack religiously to grab those characters like & and + and @ - I have those set in my hacks to just type one character like 'Y' and it gets auto replaced by '&'. Very convenient. What made me think was that if I wasn't using CorrectHack, I might very well use Graffiti - so, in this case, an external workaround has obviated my need for Graffiti. I hadn't connected that until now, but the end result is that I never use the stylus and graffiti.
    I finally got to play with a T6 at my local Sprint store last night and I was having problems with the stylus interaction with the screen.

The screen would recognize my tap if I was choosing New, OK or Cancel but it wouldn't when I tried to tap to change the calendar view from daily to weekly.

Was this just a case that the screen wasn't calibrated, me being dumb (please don't answer) or the T6 not recognizing the stylus.

Thanks.
    Last edited by webslappy; 10/11/2003 at 01:32 PM.
    I use Zlauncher as my application opener and it has a file explorer embedded into the program. It shows EVERY file on the Treo 600, and there are two references to Graffiti 2 in the list. One is called "Graffiti 2 Library" and the other is "Graffiti Shortcuts". It sounds like the APIs are definitely there, it's just a matter of activating them. It does seem wierd that Handspring deliberately chose to disable that function if it's already there...
    Maybe this is why the Grafitti2 module of CIC's JOT program crashed my T600?
    i don't use graphitti2 with my 600. graphitti 2 will cause an imediate shut down. i do use jot and it works fine. i'm suprised at those who can't seem to get it to work. characters are different in jot then graphitti maybe this is part of the problem. i have no problems with jot. i use jot 90% of the time. i find the key board too small. there is an area in jot called tuner. one may want to visit this area to assist them. one note, there had been on my 300 recognition problems if i entered characters too fast, but jot on treo 600 works great for me at any speed.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/11/2003 at 02:00 PM.
    I REALLY need graffiti (for shortcuts, special characters), and installed Graffiti Anywhere, which is PARTIALLY working. After installing, you need to "Activate" it, and choose the activation method. I selected "Short Press Toggles" using "Hard Button 1". In most apps, I can activate GA, and the strokes appear on the screen. HOWEVER, the characters are NOT being recognized properly. I think there may be some conflict with Graffiti 2, but will keep trying. If anybody has had success, let us know. As a Palm user since the original PalmPilot, I think this is the worst oversight by Handspring in the Treo 600 design. I sure hope they'll fix this omission PRONTO!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast