1.    #1  
    Ok, I was worried something funny might happen when I try to swap my number to a new phone...

First, the good news..
    The CSR told me that if my old phone is under warranty, the swap is free, no activation fee. Great, and I won't need to re-up for a year after my contract is up at the end of the month. I'll go back to the negotiating table with the magic WLNP wand in my corner, next month.

Ok, now for the fun part...

He told me to enter some fancy numbers, and enter my phone number in the MDN and MSID fields!!! Now I've got to sit through a "Please Wait" screen for 2 hours before voice is activated!!!??? I'm kind of paranoid that they screwed this up, and I'll have to send this back to HS. (They said Vision would take up to 4 hours.) Has anyone else had to go through this wait? It's sitting on the charger as we speak. The 300 is off, as per the rep's instructions. He did seem very knowledgeable, so hopefully everything will go well.
    Originally posted by skfny
    Ok, I was worried something funny might happen when I try to swap my number to a new phone...

Those of us who use GSM have heard about this. We just take our SIM and put it in the phone.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by whmurray

Those of us who use GSM have heard about this. We just take our SIM and put it in the phone.
    If not for the T-Mo recall, I might also have opted for the GSM version.
    Originally posted by whmurray

Should we turn this into a GSM vs. CDMA thread?
    Originally posted by skfny
    Now I've got to sit through a "Please Wait" screen for 2 hours before voice is activated!!!??? I'm kind of paranoid that they screwed this up, and I'll have to send this back to HS. (They said Vision would take up to 4 hours.) Has anyone else had to go through this wait? It's sitting on the charger as we speak. The 300 is off, as per the rep's instructions. He did seem very knowledgeable, so hopefully everything will go well.
    The part about vision provisioning taking four hours is fairly normal...However it should it shoudl probably take less time than that. The rep is just giving you the longest possible senario. However, I have never heard about voice activation taking 2 hours? THe most maybe 30-45 minutes or something. Anyway, I would seriously recommend not messing with the Treo during this time. I once had to re-provision my Treo300 and it got soo screwed up that it took 2 DAYs to get things cleared up! Anway, I'm jealous of you people that already have your Treo6000... danm you!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

The part about vision provisioning taking four hours is fairly normal...However it should it shoudl probably take less time than that. The rep is just giving you the longest possible senario. However, I have never heard about voice activation taking 2 hours? THe most maybe 30-45 minutes or something. Anyway, I would seriously recommend not messing with the Treo during this time. I once had to re-provision my Treo300 and it got soo screwed up that it took 2 DAYs to get things cleared up! Anway, I'm jealous of you people that already have your Treo6000... danm you!!
    My Treo 300 took 3 days to provision originally. If this is not provisioned at the crack of dawn, I'm going to a Sprint store to get provisioning. It takes them less than 3 minutes to do the whole task.

Don't worry about not doing other things during this process. You can't. Just stare at the "Please Wait" sign.
    When I bought my T600 this passed tuesday at a local Sprint store, the salesman stopped my service on the T300 and could not immediately activate the T600 because it had to be fully charged. He gave me the following instructions to activate:

1. Charge for 2 hours
    2. Dial ##(6 digit code) to activate phone menu
    3. Clear the MDN and MSID fields and enter your 10 digit phone bumber in both fields
    4. Click OK or Done (Can't remember which)
    5. At this point you can do anything on the T600 including phone functionality except vision (internet, etc.)
    6. Allow 2 hours for visioning by Sprint (meanwhile DO NOT try to browse the net, if you do, it may screwup and take days to fix)
    7. Once Vision is finished...tada...a full functioning T600!!

You would think I would use the wait time to get familiar with users manual but noooo. I get in my car knowing I have my trusty T300 car adapter . I get home with a good 20-30 minute charge now on my new toy. I plug into wall outlet for rest of charge process, do steps 1-4 above and now I'm playing but mindful of the 2 hour wait time for Visioning. 15 minutes into playing with the phone I accidentally hit the left direction on 5-way nav button (web) and it prompts me to vision my phone and it would take several minutes. So it just sits there with a visioning message and a waiting bar and now i'm thinking I screwed the thing up. No more than 2 minutes later it completes and I was able to browse the net and use data no problem.

I think I got lucky but I would suggest allowing the full 2 hours of Visioning. But if your anxious as I was it would probably take no more than 30-40 minutes after you activate.

Enjoying my 6,
    N
    I activated my 600 this afternoon and phone service was active in about 15-20 minutes...an incoming phone call suprised me. Right after the call, there was a message on the phone to provision Vision services which it did by itself successfully.

I hope your activations go quickly and smoothly too.