Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (1) Calling card and extra number dialing have been lacking since the original Treo's and I see that hasn't changed. Interestingly, very few people have complained about this (you can search this board to see that). It annoyed me from day 1 with my 270.

(2) I know what you mean, HOWEVER this is only a problem when you don't know who you want to call! Since you can search for person you want by typing their first name, last name or, best of all, first initial and last name, you are usually zoom in on THE contact you need and all you have to do is to scroll to the number you want and call it. In short you can usually have it such that only the one contact you want is displayed ofter only typing a few letters.

(3) This sucks, I agree.

(4) I wouldn't use favorites for "speed dial" functionality except for dialing extra digits. Since you can dial anyone with a few key presses (see 2 above), simple speed dial usually isn't better than just searching for the name. If that's still a problem it's because of 1 and/or 3. Beyond that, I don't think having endless pages of favorites is useful.

(5) The backspace key does the former and the latter for me... the latter is done by quickly racing through all the digits I know this is not the same, but is that really different from what you want for any normal-sized number? An 11 digit number (with the automatically-inserted hyphens) erases in a little over a second.

(6) I don't know why they chose to do that.

(7) I agree. Should have come with Graffiti 2. I can't believe they didn't do that.

(8) I thought all built-in apps supported the d-pad. What applications don't do it?

(9) Is that a problem only with the Sprint version?

(10) Sprint sucks
    I have to agree with silverado on the speed dials. It's easy enough to type a couple letters from the person's name to reach their contact entry in phonebook. That's quicker than using a speed dial button most of the time. I could see using the speed dials for pictureID/custom ringtones or for the numbers with extra digits...but 50 still sounds like it should be plenty.

On the international calling issue, I actually noticed something funny. I don't make international calls, but in Outlook all my long distance US calls are appended by a +1. My current Treo 180 dials these as 1 and the number, just as I'd expect it to. So for me, if it transposed that + into a country code, most of my contacts would be useless or messed up! So I've got the opposite problem of rbienstock, I'd need to edit them all if it worked his way. Guess that one just comes down to how numbers are entered into your contacts, or just personal preference. I can't really comment since I don't call internationally.

#6 - You mentioned wanting an icon in app launcher for contacts. I don't know about the Treo 600 since I haven't gotten mine yet, but on previous models you could get to the contacts list by just hitting the phone button a couple times (it cycles through the phone apps). I can't image them removing that functionality, and it's a hell of a lot quicker/easier than having to scroll through the app launcher looking for an icon. However, I prefer going straight to an entry using the method above or just typing a few letters of the person's name. I guess that's also why I never needed to scroll an entire page at a time (rbienstock's issue #2).

Guess it's personal preference, but I hate having redundant navigation. To me, having to use the app launcher for anything is an extra added pain so I avoid it whenever possible. Of course that would mean I'd probably use up some "favorites" in order to get the quick key functionality, leaving less for contacts. Although I'm hoping someone will update a TreoButton or similar type app that allows you to edit the secondary application settings (option + button) ... that would free up 4 "favorites". I didn't see this functionality listed when reading the manual, so I assume it would still require a 3rd party app on the Treo 600. Can anyone confirm?

#7 - Stylus input other than tapping. I'm assuming you're referring to graffitti here. But I personally just don't see the point when you have a keyboard that does the same thing. I understand you're saying "but graffitti is built in, I don't want a 3rd part app just to use it." Guess that just comes back to my dislike of redundancy... I'd prefer the keyboard and 5-way nav since it already does everything. Using the stylus less is a welcome change for me.

Don't know if you'd like that sort of thing, but there's some freeware post-it-note type apps like Diddlebug that allow you to scrawl text or drawings or whatever right on screen with the stylus. Or retail apps like Jot that allow for graffitti usage or handwriting recognition onscreen.

#8 - I too am interested in knowing which included apps don't use the 5-way button?
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by silverado
    (2) I know what you mean, HOWEVER this is only a problem when you don't know who you want to call! Since you can search for person you want by typing their first name, last name or, best of all, first initial and last name, you are usually zoom in on THE contact you need and all you have to do is to scroll to the number you want and call it. In short you can usually have it such that only the one contact you want is displayed ofter only typing a few letters.
    This is exactly my problem. If I know who the contact is, I can find it pretty easily. If I don't, then scrolling is a pain. Anyway, now that I've found the page up/down function, it isn't as bad.

(4) I wouldn't use favorites for "speed dial" functionality except for dialing extra digits. Since you can dial anyone with a few key presses (see 2 above), simple speed dial usually isn't better than just searching for the name. If that's still a problem it's because of 1 and/or 3. Beyond that, I don't think having endless pages of favorites is useful.
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    I have to agree with silverado on the speed dials. It's easy enough to type a couple letters from the person's name to reach their contact entry in phonebook. That's quicker than using a speed dial button most of the time. I could see using the speed dials for pictureID/custom ringtones or for the numbers with extra digits...but 50 still sounds like it should be plenty.
    Now that I've had a chance to use it a bit, I've come around to seeing that the navigation through the contacts list is an effective substitute for speed dials with more than one digit. The only reason that I will miss it is that I have set up the phone systems in my home, office, weekend house, US cell and international GSM cell to use the same set of speed dial numbers. Thus I have to remember that speed dial 22 will dial a particular number on every phone I use except the 600. And I agree with the comments that 50 favorites should be enough and having more than 50 is a pain. That is exactly my point: Favorites should be reserved for true favorites and quick keys. You shouldn't have to use up a precious favorites slot to put in a credit card number, custom ringtone or image. All of that should be addressed in the contacts application, not in the favorites function. Look at the high-end Sony Clies, for example. There you can link photos to contacts in teh contact application itself. When you are in contacts displaying the "one contact per screen" view (open contact on the 600), the person's photo is displayed on the screen and you can scroll through each contact and see all their info and their photo. This is a great and useful feature if you can't remember someone's name but would recognize their photo. My best friend uses this, and whenever he meets them and gets their contact info, he snaps their photo at the same time. It is a real ice-beraker for him with his prospects -- they think it is so cool, that it helps him in his client relations job. Any way, the point is that if they put the dialing and contact-specific functionality into the contacts application where it belonged, then favorites would get freed up for being what they really are -- a quick way to get to your favorite things.

(5) The backspace key does the former and the latter for me... the latter is done by quickly racing through all the digits I know this is not the same, but is that really different from what you want for any normal-sized number? An 11 digit number (with the automatically-inserted hyphens) erases in a little over a second.
    Not in the phone itself. Although holding down backspace will speed erase in all the applications, in the phone dialer part (i.e., where you're actually dialing a number from the keypad), backspace deletes one character only and holding it down does nothing. I agree that auto-repeat, if it were there, would be an acceptable substitute.

On the international calling issue, I actually noticed something funny. I don't make international calls, but in Outlook all my long distance US calls are appended by a +1. My current Treo 180 dials these as 1 and the number, just as I'd expect it to. So for me, if it transposed that + into a country code, most of my contacts would be useless or messed up! So I've got the opposite problem of rbienstock, I'd need to edit them all if it worked his way. Guess that one just comes down to how numbers are entered into your contacts, or just personal preference. I can't really comment since I don't call internationally.
    I want to go on record as saying that I an in no way a Windows fan, but here is one thing they got right. The dialer application is smart enough to sort out this stuff and parses numbers in the following format: {country code}-{area code}-{number}. Thus so long as the area code is somehow demarked (i.e., with dashes or parentheses), then it will detect the numbers at the start as the country code and dial the number correctly where ever you are in the world so long as you remember to tell it what country you are in. In other words, if you have a number with +1 as the country code (US) and a number with +44 as the country code (UK), if you dell it that you are dialing from the US, it will dial 1 for the US number and 01144 for the UK number. Conversely, if you tell it that you are in the UK, it will dial the US number as 01, and will strip off the 44 when dialing the UK number.

Guess it's personal preference, but I hate having redundant navigation. To me, having to use the app launcher for anything is an extra added pain so I avoid it whenever possible. Of course that would mean I'd probably use up some "favorites" in order to get the quick key functionality, leaving less for contacts. Although I'm hoping someone will update a TreoButton or similar type app that allows you to edit the secondary application settings (option + button) ... that would free up 4 "favorites". I didn't see this functionality listed when reading the manual, so I assume it would still require a 3rd party app on the Treo 600. Can anyone confirm?

#7 - Stylus input other than tapping. I'm assuming you're referring to graffitti here. But I personally just don't see the point when you have a keyboard that does the same thing. I understand you're saying "but graffitti is built in, I don't want a 3rd part app just to use it." Guess that just comes back to my dislike of redundancy... I'd prefer the keyboard and 5-way nav since it already does everything. Using the stylus less is a welcome change for me.
    Right. This is an issue of personal preference, but one person's preference should not be used to deny different preferences of others. For example, in Windows, I have my most often used applications on the desktop and in a quick launch toolbar. All my programs live in Start|Programs, and I can also launch them from Windows Explorer, Start|Run, or even a DOS command line. I've done all of these at one time or another. It is nice to have options. And it is particularly nice not to have those options taken away arbitrarily because the manufacturer thinks that the product should only be used in a particular way. I'll accept that the keyboard and stylus are far better than Graffiti 2. But Graffiti 2 is built into OS 5, and they shouldn't have removed it. This is one instance where Handspring deliberately chose to make the device LESS functional, for some unknown reason.
    Regards,

Robert
    Originally posted by rbienstock
    Right. This is an issue of personal preference, but one person's preference should not be used to deny different preferences of others. For example, in Windows, I have my most often used applications on the desktop and in a quick launch toolbar. All my programs live in Start|Programs, and I can also launch them from Windows Explorer, Start|Run, or even a DOS command line. I've done all of these at one time or another. It is nice to have options. And it is particularly nice not to have those options taken away arbitrarily because the manufacturer thinks that the product should only be used in a particular way. I'll accept that the keyboard and stylus are far better than Graffiti 2. But Graffiti 2 is built into OS 5, and they shouldn't have removed it. This is one instance where Handspring deliberately chose to make the device LESS functional, for some unknown reason.
    Totally agreed. Heheh even down to your comment on windows preferences... I use windows XP and was overjoyed to finally have the option to hide all the desktop icons, which required registry hacks on previous windows versions and was a big pain. It's just my preference to not have them there covering up my wallpaper. Graffiti2 should be the same way... an option you can just turn off or on, much like desktop icons in XP, for those people who actually might use it. I was really just voicing personal preferences. Who knows... maybe graffiti is in fact just hiding somewhere really well and someone will figure out how to enable it so you won't have to use Jot. Think of it kinda like my previous annoyance of using registry hacks to hide desktop icons in windows.
    +1 is the country code for the good ole US of A.

I guess when you set up the system, you get to call the shots and make yourself #1!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Just a quick note....

I used the "additional numbers" option to dial into my bank account.....worked like a charm. ANd no extra favorites used....Ijust pressed the letter "B".

IGo
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!

(6) Why is there no icon in the application launcher for contacts?
    Answer:

There "is". It's hidden/invisible.
    If you had tried one of those SilverScreen or some hacks, you will discover that there's actually a "contact" application, and is just not visible in the launcher.

All this is from the perspective of T180... I am still waiting for the GSM version of T600 to arrive in Canada.
    For dialing the extra digits after a pause, I just add an "X" after the phone number of the contact, then the digits I want. Works well. With that, you have almost unlimited phone numbers with extensions dialed automatically...

Hope that helps.
  9. AJB
    How long is the pause with an "X" and with a ","?

Any other characters?

Can you run multiple Xs (or commas) together to lengthen the pause?

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
  10.    #30  
    Originally posted by luvmytreo
    For dialing the extra digits after a pause, I just add an "X" after the phone number of the contact, then the digits I want. Works well. With that, you have almost unlimited phone numbers with extensions dialed automatically...

Hope that helps.
    It doesn't help, because it doesn't work. I have dozens of contacts with exactly this syntax, and none of them dial the extension, either automatically or via manual pause. And to make matters worse, the extension number isn't even displayed on the dialing screen, or the contact list, so you have to actually go into the display of the contact itself to get the info. I've end run this by changing the name of the last name of my contacts to "Doe x 105", but to have to do this is really stupid.
    Regards,

Robert
    It doesn't help, because it doesn't work.

robert, in another thread (Can I no longer type a contact's name from the dial pad?) kramsauer suggests:

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    To fix, go to phone preferences (:menu: A) from the phone app and uncheck "Enable Short DTMF Tones." Hit the i in the upper right for a description of this feature.
    maybe this helps?
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 03/09/2006 at 09:00 AM.
    1)No abilty to view contacts by customer name.

2)Still after all these years and suggestions to palm and h/s no Voice Recorder

But what are the alternatives? Pocket PC Phone, yeah right!

I'm still on the fence about ordering this thing. I've had the treo 180, and the pocket pc phone, and was very dissapointed with both.

Staying with my current setup with a separate phone and pda is looking better every day.

On a positive note, I really like the form factor of the t600, they finally figured out you don't need a flip.
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by giuppi
    robert, in another thread (Can I no longer type a contact's name from the dial pad?) kramsauer suggests:

maybe this helps?
    Unfortunately, not. The problem isn't that the tones are too long or not, but that they aren't sent at all. You can easily confirm this yourself. Find a landline where you can answer. Program that landline number into your contacts and append "x2222" to the number. Then call the number from the 600. If all is working properly, you'd hear four 2s in succession on the landline even if these tones were somehow muted on the 600. If you do this test, you don't hear anything on the landline phone. Thus it is clear that the phone isn't sending the tones.
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 08/14/2006 at 09:45 AM.
    Regards,

Robert
    As many here know, there's much about the Treo 600 that I don't like. I'm personally not thrilled that they wanted to make this device smaller so as to make it "look" more like a phone at the cost of usability (in terms of smaller screen size and smaller thumbboard). That said, I wanted to add a few comments to issues raised here...

1) As has been stated, being able to jump to a contact by typing the first letter of the first name and 2-3 letters of the last name is a wonderful capability which demonstrates how a thumbboard can actually be an improvement for a phone (though I suppose software on a traditional phone could do this using T9 as well). Out of curiosity, when do you know that you need to call someone but not know their name? I know I've occassionally needed to call someone and forgot their name, so I have to look through all my contacts till one of them sparks my memory, but that's pretty rare.

2) Graffiti 2 is built into the OS, but an interface to allow for writing Graffiti 2 on the screen is not. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $PalmSource$ $did$ $not$ $write$ $this$ $and$ $has$ $left$ $this$ $excercise$ $to$ $the$ $various$ $manufacturers$. $I$ $believe$ $this$ $is$ $being$ $added$ $to$ $OS6$ $and$ $maybe$ $even$ $newer$ $versions$ $of$ $OS5$. $At$ $least$ $that$ $was$ $the$ $case$ $with$ $the$ $first$ $OS5$ $devices$, $which$ $is$ $why$ $Sony$ $and$ $palmOne$ $all$ $had$ $different$ $on$-$screen$ $Graffiti$ $methods$. $I$ $can$ $understand$ $why$ $Handspring$ $didn$'$t$ $bother$ $including$ $this$ $if$ $it$ $meant$ $them$ $having$ $to$ $license$ $the$ $software$ $from$ $someone$. $If$ $PalmSource$ $has$ $made$ $such$ $a$ $thing$ $available$ $now$, $then$ $it$ $is$ $a$ $shame$ $that$ $they$ $didn$'$t$ $include$ $it$.

3) I, too, would like to hear some examples of built-in apps that still require stylus use. I've already learned that you can't select blocks of text (for cut/paste) without using the stylus, which is a major disappointment. Aside from selecting on-screen buttons, this is probably one of the most frequent tasks I find myself using my stylus (or fingernail) for with my Treo 300.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  15.    #35  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Out of curiosity, when do you know that you need to call someone but not know their name? I know I've occassionally needed to call someone and forgot their name, so I have to look through all my contacts till one of them sparks my memory, but that's pretty rare.

3) I, too, would like to hear some examples of built-in apps that still require stylus use. I've already learned that you can't select blocks of text (for cut/paste) without using the stylus, which is a major disappointment. Aside from selecting on-screen buttons, this is probably one of the most frequent tasks I find myself using my stylus (or fingernail) for with my Treo 300.
    Well selecting text is the big one for me too. The other one was pretty much the first thing I encountered when I got the new 600: the dialog that pops up when you have to set the time. You can't use the 5-way controller to scroll the numbers because you lose the focus on the relevent box. So I had to use the stylus, not realizing that I could just input the number from the keyboard. I was coming from a grafitti based unit and there you couldn't use grafitti to enter the number, but had to scroll with the stylus, so I didn't think I could just enter the number until I tried much later on (and after I started this thread). Also, shortcuts become pretty much useless because the shortcut command is buried and takes six button presses to get to. It really should have been mapped to a key to be invoked with the option button (I'd suggest mapping it to S and moving the hyphen to J instead of the !). Other than that, you're right that pretty much everything else works.
    Regards,

Robert
    It doesn't help, because it doesn't work. I have dozens of contacts with exactly this syntax, and none of them dial the extension, either automatically or via manual pause. And to make matters worse, the extension number isn't even displayed on the dialing screen, or the contact list, so you have to actually go into the display of the contact itself to get the info. I've end run this by changing the name of the last name of my contacts to "Doe x 105", but to have to do this is really stupid.
    Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I am using TAKEphONE and that will do the "pause before dialing extension" routine.
    Does anyone else have problems with fat fingers? Now I will be the first to appreciate the small footprint (I had a G 1000 before this), but is it my imagination or is the rounded CENTER button sometime hard to press. Shouldn't the center button be raised and the keyboard keys have dimples in them for us stylus typists?

Just my two cents.
    Here are some other thoughts. Most are based on features that the Hitachi G1000 already has:

1. Better camera with a lens cover...yeah, yeah, no surprise here.

2. Handwriting Recognition. The G was excellent with that. It converts your sloppy handwritten notes into typed words a phrase at a time. It was quick, easy and surprisingly reliable.

3. Voice Recorder. I already signed that petition and encourage you all to do it too.

4. A jog wheel on the phone's side (below the ringer volume). It would be much easier than the 5 way.

5. A ringer OFF position on the top slide switch. The vibrate feature is still pretty loud when it goes off in a quiet room.

Other than the taller center button, that should cover it. In all, not a bad list--especially when some of it is software related.

Congrats Handspring! I look forward to these changes on the T700.
    BOO HOO
    Originally posted by Melvin2
    Does anyone else have problems with fat fingers? Now I will be the first to appreciate the small footprint (I had a G 1000 before this), but is it my imagination or is the rounded CENTER button sometime hard to press. Shouldn't the center button be raised and the keyboard keys have dimples in them for us stylus typists?

Just my two cents.
    I think you'd find it impossible to press Nokia 3650's center button then...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast