1.    #1  
    Got the handspring upgrade deal for $399. Called Sprint to activate when I received the phone (OK, I've heard bad things about Sprint, but I'm glad I'm done with Cingular, just couldn't wait til Nov 24 for portability). Went through the initial stuff, she said "bla bla bla 2 year contract bla bla...". I said, "So that comes with the $300 initial service credit, right?" And she gave it to me. (OK, haven't actually seen the bill yet, but she said she was looking up the codes, etc etc.) I also asked for and got Vision free for the first two months. I never actually told her that I had a treo 300, she had the serial from the 600 (though when we went through activation the instructions seemed to be for the 300, but obviously worked fine for the 600). Vision was provisioned immediately and everything works wonderfully! So, once I sell my 270 on ebay, I figure I might make $50 off the whole deal.

As for the phone: Love it! Interface is fantastic. Camera is exactly what I would expect: a fun toy. Sound is superb. Response/speed is instant. Even though the data rates on vision aren't THAT much faster than GPRS, perceptually the web browser is 100x faster. That is, I can scroll through the text and see pages instantly - images are still downloading, but it's soooo much better than the 270. I really don't know what people were complaining about with "Oh, this site takes 2:30 to load". Sure it does; it also takes that long over a 56k modem. But I can browse immediately!

The ONLY thing I'm missing is a pair of stereo headphones that also work as a headset for the phone. That would be super cool. Please, somebody make them?
    dude,

so you bought the sprint phone from handspring without a service contract?

you then called sprint to activate it and they gave you (hopefully) a credit for signing a 2 yr contract?

1 yr is $150?

i'm finding myself really tempted to drop t-mo and.

i might wait until next week to see if the "unlocked" gm version materializes.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    dude,

you then called sprint to activate it and they gave you (hopefully) a credit for signing a 2 yr contract?

1 yr is $150?

1 yr extension is $100, 2yr extension is $150.
    Originally posted by mo-bile

1 yr extension is $100, 2yr extension is $150.
    okay, but remember im not extending. im a new customer.
    Felipe
    Originally posted by Felipe
    dude,

1 yr is $150?

Yes, buying using the $399 upgrade doesn't set you up with a contract. You receive the Sprint phone and call yourself to sign up for service. I ordered one last night (intending to use it with no contract until the GSM models start selling then sell it on ebay) and they didn't ask me all the info needed to activate a phone and do a credit check.

Of course now after some great news about the imminent GSM release, I might be canceling my order next week and ordering the GSM one instead!!
    Originally posted by silverado

Of course now after some great news about the imminent GSM release, I might be canceling my order next week and ordering the GSM one instead!!
    so that im clear on this.

you talking about the unlocked gsm version that might be available from handspring.com?

did we ever hear what the problem that caused the delay?
    Felipe
    Originally posted by eagle
    I said, "So that comes with the $300 initial service credit, right?" And she gave it to me. (OK, haven't actually seen the bill yet, but she said she was looking up the codes, etc etc.)
    What do you mean by a $300 initial service credit?
    Hmmmm.....

Wonder if I can get a "service credit" by switching to Cingular after number portability happens.

T-Mo is really starting to **** me off... I cancelled my data service after Conrad told me to do so and now it's been 3 days since I asked them to re-provision me and I still have no data.

Running the radio-reset on my 180 to see if that's the problem.

Having to drain a battery sucks.
    Originally posted by rastoma

What do you mean by a $300 initial service credit?
    Eagle is proud of the fact that he/she was able to cheat Sprint by asking for the service credit due when one activates a Treo 300 and then failed to correct the Sprint CSR's mistaken assumption when she gave eagle instructions for activating the Treo 300. "I never actually told her that I had a treo 300," -- I guess that makes it all right.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by jon20910

Eagle is proud of the fact that he/she was able to cheat Sprint by asking for the service credit due when one activates a Treo 300 and then failed to correct the Sprint CSR's mistaken assumption when she gave eagle instructions for activating the Treo 300. "I never actually told her that I had a treo 300," -- I guess that makes it all right.
    Not at all. I simply asked for a $300 service credit for committing the next two years of my life to Sprint. They gave it to me. Just because it's not the currently published offer for our particular phone doesn't mean that they are not prepared to give it. When I called Cingular to cancel, the rep had plenty she was ready to offer me. And believe me, if Sprint weren't making money off me (let's see, what's $60 x 24 months, minus $300, minus their marginal operating costs allocated to me (0), oh, plus the number portability charge that Sprint charges and is currently the subject of extreme suspicion as to whether they are using an FCC loophole to cheat their customers...?) or anybody else, they wouldn't make this offer to anyone. I saw that it was in some cases available and asked for it. I pointed out that I didn't tell her that I had a 300 to make it clear that I wasn't trying to mislead them. This is the real world here. A free market, and this is how telecom does business. Their network costs are huge. Their marginal cost per additional customer is tiny. They'll take a customer however they can get em. They charge their customers what they can get, and I, as a savvy consumer, ask for what I can get. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I posted to help other savvy consumers be aware of their options. If you want to sit complacently and pay as much money as anybody asks of you, then fine. I'll keep hunting for bargains.
    Originally posted by eagle

Not at all. I simply asked for a $300 service credit for committing the next two years of my life to Sprint. They gave it to me. Just because it's not the currently published offer for our particular phone doesn't mean that they are not prepared to give it. When I called Cingular to cancel, the rep had plenty she was ready to offer me. And believe me, if Sprint weren't making money off me (let's see, what's $60 x 24 months, minus $300, minus their marginal operating costs allocated to me (0), oh, plus the number portability charge that Sprint charges and is currently the subject of extreme suspicion as to whether they are using an FCC loophole to cheat their customers...?) or anybody else, they wouldn't make this offer to anyone. I saw that it was in some cases available and asked for it. I pointed out that I didn't tell her that I had a 300 to make it clear that I wasn't trying to mislead them. This is the real world here. A free market, and this is how telecom does business. Their network costs are huge. Their marginal cost per additional customer is tiny. They'll take a customer however they can get em. They charge their customers what they can get, and I, as a savvy consumer, ask for what I can get. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I posted to help other savvy consumers be aware of their options. If you want to sit complacently and pay as much money as anybody asks of you, then fine. I'll keep hunting for bargains.
    I really like the way eagle justified the whole thing. I think i'll try that. THX eagle!